Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread - Part VII

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
It's basically a point and click adventure game with tons of puzzles to solve. What do/did you think the gameplay was?
CheapyD on CAG thought the same thing (Re: Adventure game, like all of us) and came away from it at TGS unimpressed. On the recent podcast he said it isn't the adventure game everyone is expecting, but basically just a puzzle game.

I love puzzle games though, so I'm still down for it.
Old 09-26-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
CheapyD on CAG thought the same thing (Re: Adventure game, like all of us) and came away from it at TGS unimpressed. On the recent podcast he said it isn't the adventure game everyone is expecting, but basically just a puzzle game.

Yeah.. I got the impression that it was more puzzle than adventure, but I guess it's really not adventure at all. Either way, I'm still down for it too. I just don't understand how puzzle game ≠ game.
Old 09-26-07, 12:04 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Sometimes its nice to sit back and play a game and not get too involved physically. I'm up for it... and a $40 sticker price is good enough for me!
Old 09-26-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Just got the new EGM yesterday with a multipage article on how the Wii is a dumping ground for bad games and how Nintendo's "seal" means pretty much nothing these days. Valid points, no doubt. Perhaps Nintendo has gone from being too hard to work with to being too easy to work with.

I could go either way. I'd like to see Nintendo do a better job of protecting the Wii's image, but I'm also a big fan of the free market. The cream will rise for those of us who are selective about what we play. What I worry about is uneducated consumers giving money to lazy developers and validating their strategy of dumping bad games on the Wii.

I worry about all of the ports a bit as well. I am completely fine with ports as long as they add a new control element that makes sense, like RE4 or Okami (crosses fingers), but some of the ports we've seen have just been shoehorned onto the wii with some gimmicky waggle controls.
there are tons of crappy games on the Wii

The only good ones are Nintendo,

Zelda
Paper Mario
Metroid
Resident Evil 4
Mario Strikers

but I really cant complain I trying to beat Zelda (almost done) I am about an hour into Metroid, and Paper mario a couple hours in, but Sadly it hasnt grabbed me. It doesnt do either the RPG stuff or Platforming very well.
Old 09-26-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
there are tons of crappy games on the Wii

The only good ones are Nintendo,

Zelda
Paper Mario
Metroid
Resident Evil 4
Mario Strikers
RE4 isn't Nintendo...it's Capcom.

Can't argue with your list though, except to say that I really enjoy Excite Truck and I've been meaning to try Elebits out. And I would also add that that is A LOT of great games for a 1 year old console, and I'd put it up against ANY console's first year.

but I really cant complain I trying to beat Zelda (almost done) I am about an hour into Metroid, and Paper mario a couple hours in, but Sadly it hasnt grabbed me. It doesnt do either the RPG stuff or Platforming very well.
Zelda was video gaming perfected as far as I'm concerned. Metroid has certainly lived up to the hype thus far, only a few hours in myself. I enjoyed Paper Mario quite a bit, but it's not a AAA title. RE4 was brilliant.
Old 09-26-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldn't agree more with the EGM article. The Wii has been a gimmick system to me. Hopefully that changes with Mario and Smash Bros, but I'm not optomistic.
Old 09-26-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
RE4 isn't Nintendo...it's Capcom.

Can't argue with your list though, except to say that I really enjoy Excite Truck and I've been meaning to try Elebits out. And I would also add that that is A LOT of great games for a 1 year old console, and I'd put it up against ANY console's first year.

Zelda was video gaming perfected as far as I'm concerned. Metroid has certainly lived up to the hype thus far, only a few hours in myself. I enjoyed Paper Mario quite a bit, but it's not a AAA title. RE4 was brilliant.
I also enjoyed Excite Truck (and own it). But I'd also add:

Warioware
Godfather
Wii Sports

But yeah, 3rd party has been pretty weak. I'd also probably eventually pick up Sonic and SSX used at some point. I enjoyed them, but not for $50.
Old 09-26-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Can't wait for Ultimate Board Game Collection (20 games) and Game Party (7 games)
Old 09-27-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Can't wait for Ultimate Board Game Collection (20 games) and Game Party (7 games)
Another minigame collection for Deb...this is actually pretty amusing:

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=903778&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/823/823257/rabbids_finally_flvlow.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>
Old 09-27-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Yes, Ravin Rabbids 2 has been on my radar for a couple of months now
Old 09-27-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep. That should be one of the better ones. The developers listened to the fans so everything that was hated from the first should be gone. They have even gone on record saying they designed the first as a single player game and MP was almost an afterthought. Since MP was where the fun was had, they are designing #2 as a MP title first and foremost and single player is almost an afterthought.

Did anyone else catch the "Bunny's Creed" poster? It's on a computer monitor around the 1:58 mark.
Old 09-29-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw my very first Wii in the wild. The first one after a zillion months of the damn thing being out. It's sad how excited I am about it.
Old 10-01-07, 07:21 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Today's Virtual Console releases can be found at http://www.videogametalk.com/

It's an import special this week.

Last edited by Flay; 10-01-07 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-01-07, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29122

Fils-Aime: we won't be able to meet Christmas demand

Matt Martin 08:58 (BST) 01/10/2007

"The issue is not a lack of production," says NoA boss

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has admitted the company will not be able to meet consumer demand for the Wii this Christmas.

Speaking frankly to the Mercury News, Fils-Aime said that for a second year running the home console is likely to be sparse on store shelves, with current supplies lasting no longer than a day before selling out.

"We're working very hard to make sure that consumers are satisfied this holiday, but I can't guarantee that we're going to meet demand. As a matter of fact, I can tell you on the record that we won't," he said.

"What I can tell you is that typically, our inventory is lasting a day... I don't think we will know when supply crosses with demand until after the holiday season," he said.

According to Fils-Aime, the problem isn't in manufacturing the consoles, but the sheer aggressive demand for the machine.

"The issue is not a lack of production. The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on," he added.

Only last month Fils-Aime promised an "unprecedented" amount of Wii consoles for the Christmas season following further sales success throughout the year.

Now, I really think they are limiting the supply to create a false demand for the console. You cannot tell me that 1 year later they are not able to ramp up new production facilities to make these damn things.

Chris
Old 10-01-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are entire shipments leaving stores the day they're out a false demand?
Old 10-01-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29122

Now, I really think they are limiting the supply to create a false demand for the console. You cannot tell me that 1 year later they are not able to ramp up new production facilities to make these damn things.

Chris
Well unlike Sony or MS they don't want to waste money building a new manufacturing plant just to catch up with demand in the short run. They are making money hand over fist, why would they sacrifice that just to meet demand?
Old 10-01-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
There are many people who refuse to believe that the Wii is THAT popular.

On a positive note, the shortage is less widespread than it has been. Here in the mid-state of AZ, it had been impossible to find a Wii on a shelf anywhere. Over the last few weeks, I've seen one console at one store or another, and Costco had a huge pallet of Wiis (probably 40+ bundles) that took about 2 weeks to sell out.
Old 10-01-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went into Target last night and noticed the posted ad showed they had Wiis at least earlier that day. Went back to the VG section and, lo and behold, there were 3-5 Wiis in the case. This was around 7pm. I was shocked to see them still there, honestly. And it was the first time I've seen them at retails since I got mine at the midnight launch.

Supply is catching up to demand. But we're also in a small lull right before the Holiday push. It's going to get crazy once SMG and SSB:B and Black Friday all come around. I wouldn't be surprised if retailers start withholding shipments in anticipation of BF. You can't blame that on Nintendo...
Old 10-01-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how not actually meeting demand is a good business decision. I don't believe that Nintendo is creating false demand, because if they were, I'd think they were dumb.
Old 10-01-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
What a bunch of PR bullshit. If you're not meeting demand, then you have a lack of production. God, what an asshole.

"The issue is not a lack of production. The issue is we went in with a curve that was aggressive, but the demand has been substantially more than that. And the ability to ramp up production and to sustain it is not a switch that you flick on," he added.
No one expects a "switch", but c'mon, it's been a whole fucking year.

Last edited by slop101; 10-01-07 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kind of surprised by the hype that the Wii is still enjoying. I like the Wii, but it's not the end all be all of gaming bliss to me. Still, I'm very happy for the success that Nintendo is realizing once again...
Old 10-01-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
If something is hard to get, people want it. It doesn't seem at all far fetched to think that Nintendo is maintaining a false demand by keeping the system scarce.
Old 10-01-07, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'm kind of surprised by the hype that the Wii is still enjoying. I like the Wii, but it's not the end all be all of gaming bliss to me. Still, I'm very happy for the success that Nintendo is realizing once again...
Just about every child in the world wants to have a chat with you.
Old 10-01-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
If something is hard to get, people want it. It doesn't seem at all far fetched to think that Nintendo is maintaining a false demand by keeping the system scarce.

yes...yes it is...especially for a full year.
Old 10-01-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Stores are getting shipments 1-2 times a week and selling out usually the same day. It is hardly a false demand after a year of that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.