Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo DS Thread - part VII

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dungeon Crawler DS looks pretty interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for that one.
Old 08-30-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone pick me two $20 games to get at CC tomorrow for $30.

I have:

Castlevania: DoS
Phoenix Wright 1
Dragon Quest
Clubhouse Games
Ultimate Spider-Man

I was thinking Picross and Brain Age 2.
Old 08-30-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picross is great. So much value in there for $15.

Brain Age 2 seemed like more of the same to me. I feel like I got all I needed out of BA and BBA, personally.
Old 08-30-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should clarify that I never played BA or BBA.
Old 08-30-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then BA2 is probably a, ummm, no-brainer...
Old 08-30-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I was thinking Picross and Brain Age 2.
Perfect choices!
Old 08-31-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I have one minor issue with Etrian Odyssey, I wish there was a better way to mark hidden shortcuts. Normally this hasn't been a problem but I'm on a floor that is nothing but short hallways connected by one-way hidden doors. It's not a major issue, as I said, but it'd have be nice to at least draw little arrows showing one-way or two-way for something like that.

Otherwise, the more I get into it, the more it cements itself as my favorite DS game!
Old 08-31-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the red and black DS lite. I don't see any of the reported problems with viewing angle or ghosting.

Oh and I love this DS and will get married to it. You all are invited to the wedding. Just don't tell my old DS.
Old 09-02-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very good review for Worms:Open Warfare 2 at IGN.com,they gave it an 8.7.Might be my next game to pick up if i can stop playing Picross
Old 09-02-07, 11:36 AM

Got Etrian Odyssey

This is definitely reminiscent of the old Ultimas & other dungeon crawlers.

I can see why some people would say that this is hard. It basically adheres to the old philosophy of "play-conservative-and-make-sure-you-spend-time-leveling-up-before-exploring-new-areas"

The other key concept that seems to be a holdover from the old games is in party balance with fighters, clerics, magic-users. I have two Landsknechts, one Protector, one Medic, and one Alchemist (focused on one school...19th level concentrating on fire...heh heh heh). There were a couple of rough spots (i.e. Stalker) though. Thank goodness for frequent saves.

I am getting to the point where it is becoming a little tedious to travel all the way down through the dungeon. At least I am making enough coin to afford Warp Wires. Does anyone know a faster way to traverse the labyrinth?

Also, what is the deal with all the crystals blocking the doors? Do they pop up in the storyline somewhere or do I need to choose a spell?? Please no spoilers if they are in the storyline.

Also, I will second (third) the thoughts concerning skill advancement. A graph (nodes, lines) would be great. Also, some explanation of how much increasing an ability really affects things.

I am enjoying this game.

PixyJunket - thanks for the comments!
Old 09-02-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I dont believe this. I scored Pokemon Pearl on the cheap during the Goldbox deal ($20) and I've logged like 17 hours in my 4 days. It's like crack still.
Old 09-03-07, 10:20 AM

More Etrian...

For anyone playing this, here are some strategies to consider:

Grab the 'Patch Up' skill for your medic. It doesn't seem that powerful, but when you get to the point where you can wander around entire levels and nothing can hit you, it becomes a great source of cheap healing...(and XP!) Simply go to an 'easy' level, and just start fighting wandering beasties...they won't cause you to lose any HP (because you will destroy them first), and after every battle you get 'patch up' points.

For $$$, I have a 'throwaway' Survivalist w/ all points in nothing other than grab, take, and mine. Four of my other characters are powerful enough to deal w/ most junk. The 'miner' just comes along for the ride..if he gets killed..eh, I just revive him (via medic) at the item point, let him work, and then make for the exit..if he gets killed again, eh..just more XP for the other party members. I just revive him after I get back and before swapping him out w/ my 'main crew'. This becomes a good way to make cash...go mine->come back-> sell-> swap miner out for 'main guy->adventure until next day->come back->swap 'main guy' for miner->repeat.

On another note, is it more beneficial to allocate points for a specific skill or to an attribute? One example would be for say...sword fighting. Say the character uses a sword, is it 'better' (more damage, better 'to hit', or both) to put a skill point toward "sword" or "ATK"? I wonder.
Old 09-07-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ketsui DS! Ketsui DS!! Ketsui DS!!!

http://www.arikaonline.com/download/...om20070907.mpg
Old 09-07-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Quick question - Can I play Japanese import DS games on my US DS?
Old 09-07-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Quick question - Can I play Japanese import DS games on my US DS?
Yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend...ional_division
Old 09-12-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bangai-O sequel confirmed for the DS!
Old 09-12-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Circuit City is having a "Buy one - Get one 50% off" sale on all handheld games this week (9-9 through 9-15).

I was going to pick up Ratatouille (DS) for my kids as well as something else.
Old 09-12-07, 04:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I've been playing Jam Sessions all day. It's not very entertaining for a non-guitar player.

You really need quite a bit of knowledge about chords before hopping into this. It's all simulation as well. Nothing like Guitar Hero.

Last edited by Flay; 09-12-07 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the coolest mode this side of....something.

Giganto-DS

http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/
Old 09-12-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I played a friend's copy of Jam Sessions and HATED IT. And I was looking forward to it too. Biggest letdown yet. I won't be picking it up. If it means anything, I don't play guitar but loved Guitar Hero (two separate things, I know ).
Old 09-12-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
From the Carnival Games thread

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
You need WiiHelm (watch it through to the end).

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/myrtf3ZERUw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/myrtf3ZERUw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 09-12-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Etrian is simultaneously the most fun and the most infuriating game i have played in a very very long time. You get quests that will take an eternity to actually beat (hit level 20... i'm level like 8) or are so obscure (get some wall building material.... no clue where to find phyrex... from a monster, through chopping... argh!)
Old 09-12-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Etrian is simultaneously the most fun and the most infuriating game i have played in a very very long time. You get quests that will take an eternity to actually beat (hit level 20... i'm level like 8) or are so obscure (get some wall building material.... no clue where to find phyrex... from a monster, through chopping... argh!)
I mentioned this in the "Recently Played" thread, but I had to send this back to Gamefly after just a few days. I just don't have the patience required for hardcore turn-based RPGs anymore. The mapmaking was fun, but I can't deal with level grinding and all that nonsense.
Old 09-12-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Im seriously impressed with Drawn To Life. I spent about 25 minutes actually drawing my main character, which is a near perfect rendition of boba fett

I thought about even spending another 30 minutes to add chewbacca as another playable character.
Old 09-12-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I mentioned this in the "Recently Played" thread, but I had to send this back to Gamefly after just a few days. I just don't have the patience required for hardcore turn-based RPGs anymore. The mapmaking was fun, but I can't deal with level grinding and all that nonsense.
I saw that and kind of agree, but yet i find myself booting up the damn thing and still going at it. I kind of dig wandering into the labyrinth, getting into a couple easy battles, and wandering back out in like 15 minutes before bed.

My complaint is the few quests i have been given are so out of my reach. Hell i make it to the second level, run into one Ragealope and this deer just beats the bejeesus out of my team. I finally have gotten where i can sometimes beat one of them if my party goes in full strength - but then it becomes run like hell to save.

Drawn To Life looks like it would be a good deal of fun. I may have to eventually check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.