DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uh....

no man. thats stored on your HDD. Obviously, you wouldnt need to send that in
Old 07-20-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I would have to assume they took that down, because the standard e-mail now says 4-6 weeks. I cannot even register my XBOX 360 on this website, what is the trick?

http://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx

So, anyone have any update on this? I want to check my status, but I cannot register, and i really don't want to call 18004MXBOX as that takes way too long.
Old 07-20-07, 08:36 AM

I had to call 8004MYXBOX to get my console to show up on the support page.
Old 07-20-07, 09:06 AM

Well when you plug in the hard drive to a refurb unit - true all the Premium DLC is still there only now the seriel numbers no longer match. It will work when you are connected to LIVE. If you disconnect to live they will no longer work.
SOLUTION: Re-Download the DLC so the NEW seriel numbers will ultimately match.
Yes - It is a Pain but as far as I know that is the only way to get it to work offline from LIVE.
Old 07-20-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tygan
I had to call 8004MYXBOX to get my console to show up on the support page.
I just got off the phone with my lady that calls me every two day to update my repair console. She said the Windows Live ID I gave her was not registered, but it is, as I just checked.
Old 07-20-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I went to that webpage and was able to register my console this morning.
Old 07-21-07, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Microsoft hit with second Xbox lawsuit
Customers say the device scratches and ruins video game discs

Gregg Keizer

July 20, 2007 (Computerworld) -- A second lawsuit was filed this week against Microsoft Corp. by customers complaining about the Xbox 360 console scratching and ruining video game discs.

The suit, filed Monday with a Los Angeles federal court, followed a similar lawsuit submitted to a south Florida court the week before.

In the California filing, state residents Christine Moskowitz and David Wood claim that "during regular use, the Xbox 360 scratches the surface of the game discs, often to the point that they will no longer play in the console." When contacted, Microsoft refused to refund the price of the games or replace the discs, the lawsuit said. Microsoft's policy is to offer replacements only for its own titles, and then for a $20 swap-out charge.

Moskowitz and Wood are seeking class-action status for their suit and refunds for the cost of the games and/or the Xbox 360. Damages were set at $5 million minimum.

According to the lawsuit, the scratching problem isn't associated with the "red ring of death" issue that Microsoft said prompted it to extend the Xbox 360's warranty. Earlier this month, Microsoft announced a $1 billion-plus charge against earnings to pay for the warranty extension and repairs to all consoles that fail after displaying three flashing red lights to indicate a general hardware problem. In the earnings statement released yesterday, Microsoft pegged the charge at $1.06 billion.

Reports of Xbox 360s scratching discs aren't new. In April, a popular Dutch TV program (YouTube video) claimed that one in nine Xbox 360s it tested scratched game discs within a matter of hours. An independent hardware consultant, the program said, pointed to defects in the DVD drive, which is made by Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Korea Corp., as the likely cause.

The Moskowitz and Wood lawsuit cited the Dutch TV report to bolster its call for a class action.

In a follow-up to the Dutch report, Meglena Kuneva, the European Union commissioner who heads that government's consumer affairs agency, said on June 1 that she had written Microsoft for an explanation about the problem, and asked the company to detail what it is doing to address the issue. In a radio interview that day, Kuneva said she had given Microsoft a week to reply, and confirmed that she lacked the power to order an Xbox 360 recall in the EU. "[But] I would be more than happy to act, if I have a legal ground," she said.

Microsoft did not comment today, but when asked about the Florida filing last week, spokesman Jack Evans said: "Out of the millions of Xbox consoles in use, Microsoft has not received any widespread reports of Xbox 360s scratching discs."

That runs counter to messages posted on Xbox 360 user forums, including Microsoft's own support boards. A quick search by Computerworld found plenty of disgruntled users.

"I have had my 360 just over a month, and it has knackered two discs," said a user identified as Forest4life. "MS and others say that discs will only scratch in the console, if the console is moved whilst it is on and the disc is in the machine. Well I have never moved the machine whilst it is on, in fact, it has been in the same spot since it was setup [sic]."

"I have had some of my xbox games for only a matter of weeks and they have been delt [sic] with very carefully. but still i am notcing [sic] scratches on the discs now to the point that whenever i try to play gears of war it says the disc is unreadable," added "Nightmare2406."
http://computerworld.com/action/arti...taxonomyId=146
Old 07-22-07, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My only time sending in my console thus far was because of drive problems, and I'm sure it scratches them. When I got Oblivion, I distinctly remember looking at the disc before I put it in - flawless - and I didn't take it out for about a month, nor did I move my 360 at all, and it stared giving me disc read errors, I took it out, it was all scratched to hell.

EVERY other disc I've put in has been scratched to some degree by the machine.

That's what pisses me off about the 3 year warranty ONLY being on the 3 red rings. I've never gotten them, but I've had plenty of problems with my machine(s).
Old 07-22-07, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Do you have your 360 set up vertically or horizontally? You'll get a lot more scratching vertically.
Old 07-22-07, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JasonF
Do you have your 360 set up vertically or horizontally? You'll get a lot more scratching vertically.
It's now vertical, but wasn't until after I got it fixed once. Sitting horizontally in my TV stand, it was getting too damned hot, so I set it outside of it, but the only place I can set it it has to be vertical. Kind of a damned if I do, damned if I don't setup at the moment. Maybe I'll see if I can rearrange things to set it down.
Old 07-22-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have mine sitting on two pieces of square tubing. So that elevates the system about a half inch just giving it more room to breathe. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
Old 07-22-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick
My only time sending in my console thus far was because of drive problems, and I'm sure it scratches them. When I got Oblivion, I distinctly remember looking at the disc before I put it in - flawless - and I didn't take it out for about a month, nor did I move my 360 at all, and it stared giving me disc read errors, I took it out, it was all scratched to hell.

That's what pisses me off about the 3 year warranty ONLY being on the 3 red rings. I've never gotten them, but I've had plenty of problems with my machine(s).
Same thing happened to me. Scratched 3 different game discs. I ended up getting it fixed on my warranty (they replaced the disc drive). Mine was also horizontal the whole time yada yada.
Old 07-23-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

my reason for not getting too worked up is two things.
1) It's only a videogame system
2) They are fixing mine.

and a bonus third reason - it's only a fucking videogame system. It's meaningless.
Old 07-23-07, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
2) They are fixing mine.

and a bonus third reason - it's only a fucking videogame system. It's meaningless.
You're exactly right, but I've noticed that a lot of peoples' lives revolve around their video game addiction. When their 360 isn't there to fill the hours, they don't know what to do. This happened to my cousin when his 360 had to be fixed. He got progressively more "fidgety" until it was returned. It was like watching a crack addict detox.
Old 07-23-07, 02:50 AM
Suspended

Xbox 360 sales down 60%, profit continues to plummet
Posted Jul 21, 2007 at 09:46PM by Nicolo S.

Information Week reports that Xbox 360 sales have gone down 60% in its latest fiscal quarter. Microsoft stated Thursday that 700,000 360 units were shipped, compared to 1.8 million in the same quarter last year. More boxes were sold after MS increased warranty to three years, but it looks like the stunt wasn't enough.

Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, which handles the 360, experienced fourth quarter revenue drop 10% year-over-year to US$ 1.16 billion on an operating loss of US$ 1.20 billion, according to Information Week. Last year, US$ 423 million went down the drain for the group.

According to Microsoft, extending the box' warranty took US$ 1.06 billion off earnings. The problem doesn't stop there, with lawsuits filed against the giant company for the 360's design damaging game discs. Such claims have been shrugged off. It doesn't help that Peter Moore moved over to EA for his family.

On the other hand, competitors in the gaming industry have been faring better. As we all know, Nintendo continues to dominate both the console and handheld scene. Sony experienced substantial increase in sales after the PS3 price cut, while the PSP and PS2 are still making some money.

With that said, Microsoft's path with the 360 is still looking bright. Halo 3 is expected to bring Microsoft out of constant losses, and other topnotch titles will grace the box to boost profits. We'll have to wait and see before making any judgements on how Microsoft stands now.
http://www.qj.net/Xbox-360-sales-dow...g/49/aid/98131
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=201200157
Old 07-23-07, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I wonder if this "scratching the game disc" problem is why my copy of NCAA 2008 always gets the "disc is unreadable" error now. I looked carefully at the brand new disc, and it has a tiny scratch on it, and now will no longer play after a stadium is loaded. Of course, this exact same thing happened to me with NCAA 2007, but I returned it and somehow lucked out with a good copy. So maybe it's just EA.

edited to add: Sure, it's only a video game system. But it's a video game system that costs 400 bucks, not including the money used to buy accessories, games, marketplace content, an hd-dvd add on and hd-dvds, all of which are worthless while the 360 is out.
Old 07-23-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
2) They are fixing mine.

Here's my thing, it sucks all kinds of ass that MS put out a system with all kinds of issues. I mean come on, MS is competing with -the Japanese- by putting out a gimp video game system? That's really stupid. This whole thing reminds me of the American car vs. Japan car battle and everyone knows the Japanese cars generally have a superior reputation for reliability and longevity.

With that said, I have had more fun, bought more games, Finished more games, and enjoyed myself with the 360 in the first year more than any other system I've owned. So I'm a bit forgiving when it comes to the issues of this system. Don't ge me wrong, I want MS to get off their asses and stop being "corporate" about the problems; and for the most part they're trying to deal with them so that's something.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-23-07 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-23-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
While it's great that they're finally owning up (mostly), and while yes, it's only a video game system, it's still the principle of the thing. If I order a meal at McDonald's and my fries are nasty, I complain. I paid for a product and did not get what I "should" have gotten. If they apologize for it and make up for it, I accept their apology and move on, most likely spending more money there in the future. If they claim they did nothing wrong, and tell me to piss off, I don't come back, and I share my negative experience with others. If it is later discovered that they are hiding a systemic issue, and many others are affected by the problem, then we should definitely complain.
It's only a game system. But it's also "only" 300-480$, plus ~60$x however many games get scratched. I don't know about you, but that's more than Happy Meal money to me.
The fact that the product, in an apparently large percentage of cases, actually *damages* the products its supposed to work with, is a massive screwup/defect, and the fact that MS denies it is adding insult to injury.
Old 07-23-07, 07:24 AM

yea, mine scratched ANOTHER Gears of War disc, again, while the console was laying flat on it's side.

I call shenanigans
Old 07-23-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder if this "scratching the game disc" problem is why my copy of NCAA 2008 always gets the "disc is unreadable" error now. I looked carefully at the brand new disc, and it has a tiny scratch on it, and now will no longer play after a stadium is loaded. Of course, this exact same thing happened to me with NCAA 2007, but I returned it and somehow lucked out with a good copy. So maybe it's just EA.
That doesn't mean your disc is actually scratched. It means that the heat from the graphics card is heating up and killing your DVD-ROM drive.

I currently am having the same problem. Generally, if you let the system cool off for 30 minutes you can play for another 20-30 minutes.

BTW, I currently have a second system in for repair, and I cannot get the Xbox Repairs webpage to work, either. All their shit seems to be broken, from the console on down.
Old 07-23-07, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DamingR
That doesn't mean your disc is actually scratched. It means that the heat from the graphics card is heating up and killing your DVD-ROM drive.
It's physically leaving blemishes on discs. I'd say this is the 4th one
Old 07-23-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the same issue with 2 of my old 360's. One of them RROD'ed and the other scratched discs. I eventually switched to the PS3, but I only had 4 360 games, so my loss wasn't bad. And I bought my system at Costco, so I had their excellent return policy.
Old 07-23-07, 08:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I had the same issue with 2 of my old 360's. One of them RROD'ed and the other scratched discs. I eventually switched to the PS3, but I only had 4 360 games, so my loss wasn't bad. And I bought my system at Costco, so I had their excellent return policy.
If they don't get things fixed, and PS3's library gets more on par with 360's, and PS3s are clearly more reliable, then I'll do a switcharoo.
Old 07-23-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2) They are fixing mine.

I see your point, and I was not that upset...but after the THIRD time, you start to get really annoyed. The failure rate should not be "accepted" by any company. I know this is not what they intended, as a $1 billion hit is not good business practice, but they don't really seem to be doing anything...yet. I'm sure I'll just get another console back and have to send it in for the 4th time.
Old 07-23-07, 09:00 AM

sure, you could argue that it's only a "material possession", but then this forum wouldn't really serve a purpose, based on it's premise.

i don't think my 360 breaking warrants me to go off into a fit of rage, but it definitely makes you wonder what you're missing.

i sort of relate it to the 4 year old not wanting to play with his ball, until he sees you playing with it and is reminded he doesn't have it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.