Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Ultimate Fighting Championship game

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Ultimate Fighting Championship game

I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere (can't search for UFC) but this trailer looks promising.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/876/876981/vids_1.html
Old 07-12-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Low quality video of the trailer:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hyai0Yabjis"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hyai0Yabjis" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-12-07, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam. Hopefully they improve on the game play to incorporate all the possible moves in a MMA fight. I am not sure how it could be done as its so varied, but hopefully the find a way
Old 07-12-07, 05:23 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want blood!
Old 07-12-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I want this guy now!!! I've been thinking about hooking up my old Dreamcast to play my UFC game (which I enjoyed a lot), but now I'll just wait for this.
Old 07-12-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Can a game like this really work? I mean, most matches last under one round in real life. Is it plausible to have a game that probably has more load times than playing time?
Old 07-12-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^I'm hoping we're going to get a game with little-to-no load times. If not, it'll be a real pain.
Old 07-12-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im excited as long as the controls are good... It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. Graphics look great, however unrealistic in that we have never seen Liddell kick 'Pages ass like that, and I'm pretty sure he would try and go for a triangle choke either .
Old 07-13-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Im excited as long as the controls are good... It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. Graphics look great, however unrealistic in that we have never seen Liddell kick 'Pages ass like that, and I'm pretty sure he would try and go for a triangle choke either .
I don't think those are actually in game graphics. The movement is way too fluid to be actual gameplay. It looks more like that original Killzone 2 trailer, where they just wanted to show what they will be able to do.
Old 07-14-07, 05:36 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
if the reviews are good and the gameplay is realistic and instinctive, i will buy a PS3 just to play this game
Old 07-15-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That game looks awesome. It looks like it will be on the 360 too.

One problem though...I wonder how realistic it will be. Just by looking at that trailer a couple punches that landed would have knocked any fighter out cold or the ref would have stepped in. In the trailer the 2 fighters just kept right on going even after numerous devastating punches were landed. Could you imagine anybody (Chuck Liddell included) not getting knocked out after being slammed by Rampage and then punched twice? I mean Rampage barely even hit Chuck square in their last fight and Chuck went down. Of course maybe the trailer just showed a bunch of different scenes and not actual fights. In any event some boxing games can be pretty unrealistic in that in order to win you have to hit the guy a hundred times when in reality most boxing matches end because of 2-3 solid punches. UFC fights tend to end from even 1 punch, elbow, knee or whatever. I just wonder if the game will truly let you beat an opponent by only hitting him once.
Old 07-17-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Those graphics can be real. The models look like the Fight Night fighters. The animations are very smooth, but otherwise I think that could be like the actual game. that it's good. I loved UFC for the Dreamcast. Not a big UFC fan at all but it was nice to have a "real" fighting game at last.
Old 07-17-07, 08:13 AM

I know in the DC game, you could have a match over in about 8 seconds or less, but most of those quick matches were because of a tap-out move.

not sure about the one hit punch/knock outs. would be fun.
Old 04-23-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: New Ultimate Fighting Championship game

Well the demo is out on Xbox 360. Two fighters are in the demo Chuck Liddell, and I forgot the other guy, a BJJ fighter.

I played about 10 matches. They did a really good job recreating the TV coverage of a UFC event. Even Joe Rogan stutters and corrects himself when doing commentary.

The fighting I actually enjoy. Looking over the move lists, there are definitely a lot of different types of holds and stances, and lots of different attack options in the standup. On the ground and in clinches I felt that there wasn't quite enough variety in the moves. It's definitely not that realistic when it comes to stamina though, it seems like I could be throwing superman punches all day, and he wouldn't get tired at all from doing it.

Best part was in one match, start of Round 2, Chuck went charging at me, and I did a flying knee and knocked him out, it was fucking awesome. The animations are pretty good, but there definitely isn't enough variety for each type of move, throwing a few of the same attacks in a row and you get the exact same animation each time.

Oh, and of course the graphics and the animations are no where near the quality of that old trailer, but I guess people figured that would be the case.

Last edited by flashburn; 04-23-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hoping I would like it but I wasn't that impressed with the demo. I really wanted to like it since I was looking forward to it but I am not a fan of the controls. I don't mind how complex they are but at the same time it would be nice if it was a little easier to do some of the basic moves especially the first few times you pick it up.

I would mostly be playing with people who no longer game and the learning curve seems too steep for them at least when it comes to the ground game. I had a friend over tonight who tried it and he couldn't pull off anything other than strikes. He could get Shogun to tie up but that was it so he kept getting frustrated. This to me tells me the controls just aren't intuitive enough since I had similar problems and that was after even studying some of the moves.
Old 04-23-09, 10:07 PM
Banned

The controls have to be complex, the target audience wouldn't want a simplistic, watered down experience. If you do the tutorials, the depth of the gameplay can be quickly picked up and the fights are just epic. I don't care for the easier difficulties, but on advanced and up, this is just sick. The game totally changes if you switch fighters too, which if that holds up through the entire roster will be incredible. I am glad this isn't a button masher, if you want to do that, you can on easy, but otherwise you need to learn the deep, but easy to pick up system.
Old 04-23-09, 10:20 PM

its on ps3 store now, its alot of fun
Old 04-23-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep button mashing only works on easy I did have a few really good matches on the next difficulty that all played out quite a bit different which was cool.

Looking forward to May 19th

GSP on the cover for the Canadian edition
Old 04-24-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FusionX
The controls have to be complex, the target audience wouldn't want a simplistic, watered down experience. If you do the tutorials, the depth of the gameplay can be quickly picked up and the fights are just epic. I don't care for the easier difficulties, but on advanced and up, this is just sick. The game totally changes if you switch fighters too, which if that holds up through the entire roster will be incredible. I am glad this isn't a button masher, if you want to do that, you can on easy, but otherwise you need to learn the deep, but easy to pick up system.
I understand they have to be complex, but I wish you could pull off some basic moves with basic controls such as the old N64 wrestling games. I know each one of my friends isn't going to want to go through the tutorial so they can sit down and play for an hour or so.

Even after going through the tutorial I still have a difficult time with Shogun. I just can't get the grappling down and it still doesn't feel natural. At the same time I have knocked out Shogun in under 10 seconds.

I am hoping you can change the button layout when the game comes out since I keep hitting the wrong buttons expecting them to do something else in the game like I expect the left trigger to aim low and the right to aim high.
Old 04-24-09, 10:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
They did a really good job recreating the TV coverage of a UFC event. Even Joe Rogan stutters and corrects himself when doing commentary.
Does it have Goldie reminding us it's a non-title fight even though we could figure it out by the fact that neither guy has a title?
Old 04-24-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
Does it have Goldie reminding us it's a non-title fight even though we could figure it out by the fact that neither guy has a title?
It sure does!
Old 04-25-09, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I understand they have to be complex, but I wish you could pull off some basic moves with basic controls such as the old N64 wrestling games. I know each one of my friends isn't going to want to go through the tutorial so they can sit down and play for an hour or so.

Even after going through the tutorial I still have a difficult time with Shogun. I just can't get the grappling down and it still doesn't feel natural. At the same time I have knocked out Shogun in under 10 seconds.

I am hoping you can change the button layout when the game comes out since I keep hitting the wrong buttons expecting them to do something else in the game like I expect the left trigger to aim low and the right to aim high.
Basic moves are one button or hold one button, press one button. Not rocket science.
Old 04-25-09, 12:51 AM

The graphics and atmosphere are great, the controls blow. Simple review
Old 04-25-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there blood?

Is this game a lot of dry humping or is there actual fighting going on?
Old 04-25-09, 10:44 AM

I loved playing this on the Dreamcast, it was a great fighter, Downloaded the demo last night and games not very fun. Graphics arent very good, crowds and eviorment are pretty lousy, Characters look so so, though animations arent that good and animations are repeated, presentation was pretty boring too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.