Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

OXM #73 - August 07

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OXM #73 - August 07

I hadn't posted about an OXM magazine for some time but with such great games featured in it I thought I would let people know the content.

Demos:
Eternal Sonata
Dirt
BlackSite Area 51
Forza 2

Live Arcade:
Double Dragon
Jetpac Refueled
Luxor 2

Video Showcase:
UT III Trailers
Tour UT III

They have a article about Halo 3 but anyone who was in the Beta would not find too much new info. Other games covered in minor detail are SC: Conviction, Mercenaries 2 and COD4.

The Bourne Conspiracy and BioShock get some nice coverage.

Now I'm off to try out Eternal Sonata!
Old 06-27-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooh, Double Dragon on Live Arcade... the memories of that game.
Old 06-27-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Live Arcade:
Double Dragon
Jetpac Refueled
Luxor 2
Are these just demos?
Old 06-27-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Are these just demos?
Yes....they just feel the need to divide the demos for retail games from the demos for Arcade titles.
Old 06-27-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've thought about picking this up a few times, but most (if not all) of these demos are available for free on the marketplace (in one region or another). I just can't bring myself to spending $10 on a couple exclusive gamerpics and that other ongoing game thing they have on there which I know next to nothing about.
Old 06-27-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I've thought about picking this up a few times, but most (if not all) of these demos are available for free on the marketplace (in one region or another). I just can't bring myself to spending $10 on a couple exclusive gamerpics and that other ongoing game thing they have on there which I know next to nothing about.
My theory is that I'd rather spend money on knowing about upcoming games than spend that money of shitty games that I regret buying. 20.00 for a year isn't too bad since it informs me on what games are like and what will be worth my time. I subscribe to IGN as well. While I may not always trust their reviews I love having access to guides and a steady stream of info.
Old 06-27-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
My theory is that I'd rather spend money on knowing about upcoming games than spend that money of shitty games that I regret buying. 20.00 for a year isn't too bad since it informs me on what games are like and what will be worth my time. I subscribe to IGN as well. While I may not always trust their reviews I love having access to guides and a steady stream of info.
Oh, the magazine is great. I got it for $6 or $7 a year and it's totally worth it. I just question the need for a demo disc since there's the Live Marketplace.
Old 06-27-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can download these demos for free, and also read reviews and previews for free as well. IGN is definately cool for their guides, which are usually better than the published ones, but they also make those free after some time, so I can usually wait that one out as well. I don't buy many magazines at all nowadays, and the only one I have a subscription to is Game Informer. The only reason I even have that one is it's free with the GS/EB Edge card.
Old 06-27-07, 04:30 PM
Banned

Personally, I find all the info on upcoming games that I need from online sites like Gamespot, IGN, Gametrailers, 1up, etc. Online sites get you the info much quicker than magazines. The "news" in magazines has usually been posted online a month before. Plus, with downloadable demos on Live, there is no need to buy a magazine just for a demo. I have not seen the need to subscribe to magazines for ages. They are a dying breed.
Old 06-27-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
The "news" in magazines has usually been posted online a month before.
Exactly. With print delays I don't see any of these magazine lasting much longer... at least for a source of news and reviews. Features and interviews are the only thing that can keep them alive. If you read any online sites, a gaming mag is old news by the time it hits your mailbox.

Case in point, I just got the new Nintendo Power today with a full page on Manhunt 2! Wow. What's that game about?
Old 06-27-07, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Case in point, I just got the new Nintendo Power today with a full page on Manhunt 2! Wow. What's that game about?
I wonder... was it strictly a preview or did it mention anything about the AO rating and UK banning? Maybe that will be their "news" for next month's issue.
Old 06-27-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder... was it strictly a preview or did it mention anything about the AO rating and UK banning? Maybe that will be their "news" for next month's issue.
I didn't get my NP yet, but some of the magazines that were covering MH2 did do some quick edits to give details about the recent AO rating.

Magazines do get exclusives though. In fact, I believe that print-magazines were the only ones able to get a recent hands on of Metroid Prime 3 at Nintendo Gamers Day.
Old 06-27-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There's still some exclusives that are reserved for magazines, such as Fallout 3 in Game Informer with some info that isn't really online. But in those cases, it's easier just to stop by Barnes & Noble and read any specific articles.
Old 06-27-07, 05:28 PM

I love magazines... I don't have a computer in the bathroom, yet.
Old 06-27-07, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
You need one of these:

Old 06-27-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I didn't read the whole thing, but there weren't any pull quotes or subject headers mentioning it. It just happened last week. That would be a hell of a turnaround to get it changed, printed, mailed and on my doorstep all within about 8 days.
Old 06-27-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
Amen to that.

I tend to pass the disc off to a few buddies so they can all check out the demos. Then the magazine after a nice read heads to the bathroom.

And it's very true about magazines always getting special info. There are always people posting scans of magazine articles that include info we haven't seen online yet. I just wish they were always high resolution scans that I could read without the help of a magnifying glass.

Today I was dying to have The Darkness show up in my mailbox. It didn't but the OXM showing up was a nice surprise that made up for it....for now. Most of the pages I'll skip over and I'll disagree with some of the reviews. It almost seems like a waste till I realize that 2.00 for this magazine each month saved me from total boredom today.
Old 06-28-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, what are the UNLOCKABLES this month?