Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

how loud is the xbox 360 HDDVD add on player ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am about to pull the trigger on the HDDVD player for the 360.

but how loud is it? does your xbox have to be turned on for it to work ?
Old 06-09-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet
i am about to pull the trigger on the HDDVD player for the 360.

but how loud is it? does your xbox have to be turned on for it to work ?
I never noticed it at my buddy's place from about 8' away, and yes -- your Xbox360 is still the Player, the HDDVD Drive just reads the discs.
Old 06-09-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by RichC2
I never noticed it at my buddy's place from about 8' away, and yes -- your Xbox360 is still the Player, the HDDVD Drive just reads the discs.
But I would assume that the heating and loud disk spin problems of the 360 would not apply to the HDDVD option, since its just processing the disk info to send to the display device, right?
Old 06-09-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
But I would assume that the heating and loud disk spin problems of the 360 would not apply to the HDDVD option, since its just processing the disk info to send to the display device, right?
Unfortunately, no. For whatever reason, the 360's fan is on and friggin' noisey. My wife won't even watch HD-DVD movies with me anymore since the noise is too distracting for her.

Skip the 360 add-on. For the same price you can get a stand alone Toshiba player at Costco and get 5 free HD-DVDs by mail.
Old 06-09-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thats really unfortunate if the 360s fan has to be on during a movie, because it is WAY TOO LOUD. that kinda changes my mind on the issue.

=(
Old 06-09-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 360 is super quiet.

= J
Old 06-09-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I wouldn't say that my 360 is super quiet, but I've never felt like noise was an issue at all. I've been very happy with the HD-DVD add-on, and have been pleasantly surprised -- so far -- at how well my 360 has run, especially considering I heard there were problems with the Elites. But I never really noticed it running, at least not more so than any of my other components.
Old 06-09-07, 10:52 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noise definitely varies. My buddy's 360 isn't all that loud, while my brother's was much louder and could be annoying at times.
Old 06-09-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the HD player add on is that loud, but my 360 is pretty loud so it's kinda distracting. I had the HD player and recently sold it for about $150 to get a new Toshiba HD player. With those being so cheap right now and with so many additional perks (5 free movies), I'd really think about picking up a stand alone player instead. While the picture was very good on the add on, the audio wasn't so spectacular. You really have to turn it up to get decent audio, and the player does not support any of the new HD audio formats (no Dolby Digital Plus, True HD, etc.). Also (and probably my main reason for getting a new player) was the fact that I had lots of trouble loading a lot of HD-DVDs. I had trouble playing (even with the recent firmware) The Good Shepherd and Children of Men. While both of these discs have had other problems with individuals, I've also had lots of trouble with Smokin Aces, Miami Vice, and Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift to name a few.

Don't get me wrong it's a good player and the picture is great, but when you can get a Toshiba player for less than $100 more and it comes with plenty of free HD-DVDs through rebate it might be better to invest in a standalone player instead. Just my two cents...
Old 06-10-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Sometimes it's semi-quiet, but other times...if a plane crashed in your front yard, you may not hear the crash.
Old 06-10-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never hear any of my system fans running while something is playing...

... I agree with the poster recommending that you get the stand alone player, probably a better deal right now... although I have no complaints with my 360 add on

... then again people have been finding the add on for under 100 at Sams
Old 06-10-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a launch 360 but I don't think the 360 or the HD-DVD drive is that loud. Maybe my wife and I have just learned to tune it out, but I don't even think about it.
Old 06-10-07, 01:00 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by Tarantino
My 360 is super quiet.

= J

Mine too.