Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who plays Guitar Hero in Lefty Flip?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which orientation do you use in playing Guitar Hero?
Lefty Flip - Lefties Rule!
31.58%
Regular - Lefties Suck!
63.16%
Ambidextrous - I go both ways
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but how come there's no Guitar Hero controller love for us south paws? Yeah, flipping the guitar is workable, but the whammy bar does get in the way a bit and is definitely not as easy to use as it would be if it were on the bottom of the guitar.

I've wondered this since GH1 came out, how much demand would be required for a lefty version of the guitar controller to be produced?
Old 06-03-07, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
I'm labeled as a "lefty", but I've played guitar for years as a right hander. Guitar Hero is the same, I play it as a "righty".
Old 06-03-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im wierd... Im a righty, but I play guitar left handed and I fight southpaw as well... It was tricky for me to get the hang of it at first but now its no problem, but I do have some issues with the whammy bar here and there.
Old 06-03-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I play lefty as well, and definately can't grab as much starpower on sustained notes as "normies." I hardly even use the whammy at all, unless the sustained is really long.

I don't think we'll ever see a dedicated lefty guitar, even if it was mail-order only.
Old 06-03-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm labeled as a "lefty", but I've played guitar for years as a right hander. Guitar Hero is the same, I play it as a "righty".
I'll never understand left handers who insist on playing guitar left-handed. Look, learning to play guitar is hard enough with either hand, so you might as well learn to play right-handed so you play 95% of the guitars out there.
Old 06-03-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'll never understand left handers who insist on playing guitar left-handed. Look, learning to play guitar is hard enough with either hand, so you might as well learn to play right-handed so you play 95% of the guitars out there.
???
Guitar is hard enough to learn as it is, why add the extra burden of trying to learn it playing in a position that is not as comfortable and more awkward?

Pretty much most things in the world are geared towards right-handers. It seems your statement could pretty much be extended to say all left-handers should conform to the majority and become right-handers so that we can take advantage of all right-handed things out there (e.g. golf clubs, scissors, baseball mitts, etc.). Ah... the plight of the left-hander...
Old 06-03-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm lefty but I play guitar (and Guitar Hero) right handed.
Old 06-03-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played lefty just to get the achievement. Then switched back.
Old 06-04-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gambit
???
Guitar is hard enough to learn as it is, why add the extra burden of trying to learn it playing in a position that is not as comfortable and more awkward?
That's the point. What's the difference when you don't know a fret from a tail piece? Might as well learn what's out there. I've got plenty of lefty friends who learned righty and are extremely happy that they did so.
Old 06-04-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I play left-handed mainly because my left hand can strum faster. I know for a fact that my left hand can do all the fretting for this game just fine, and possibly better than my right hand, but it's too late to change now after playing lefty for a year and a half.
Old 06-04-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I play left-handed mainly because my left hand can strum faster. I know for a fact that my left hand can do all the fretting for this game just fine, and possibly better than my right hand, but it's too late to change now after playing lefty for a year and a half.
Nor should you. You've now learned how to play lefty. It's too late.

There's nothing wrong with playing left handed, but if it were me, I would have just wanted to learn on what would have been ultimately easier for me.

BTW all you lefties out there should check out southpaw guitars on the net or in Houston. Nothing for us lonely righties there
Old 06-04-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Lefty here!