Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to wait until I could get this used, but the reviews have me pumped...and Best Buy canada is having a deal where you can buy AC and COD4 together for $90, so I'll be getting it for sure.
Old 11-08-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This baby is my #1 anticipated title of the 2007...well, and Mass Effect.
Old 11-08-07, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
This baby is my #1 anticipated title of the 2007...well, and Mass Effect.
Ditto. I preordered this from Amazon, which means it probably won't show up at my house until Wednesday ... and it's looking like I may have to travel on business Thursday and Friday.
Old 11-08-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Goddammit - I was hoping this wasn't going to live up to the hype.

I put my Xmas list together, and I've got at least 7 big titles on there I want - not to mention everything I've bought lately. *sigh* I need more hours in the day.
Old 11-08-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 975 Likes on 707 Posts
I was going to wait until after I finished Mass Effect to pick this one up, but based off the reviews I may have to get it on release day and play through the weekend.

Has anyone read anything about advantages to either system for this one (PS3 or 360). I was planning to get it for PS3 just because I haven't bought a new game for it in a while now. I don't care about achievements but if one version has more extras or runs better, I'd want to get that one.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-08-07 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My hype meter from this game is slowly growing... It was pretty high when I first read about it, but poor prevews complaining about terrible controls allowed me to put this aside. Now that reviews are popping up I'm starting to get excited again. I don't know when I'm gonna have time to play all these though. Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, and now this?! I just beat the single player of Call of Duty 4 but I still wanna rank up in the multiplayer camaign. What to do, what to do, what to do!
Old 11-08-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Didn't this start out as a PS3 lead sku before the big "secret" 360 version fiasco? Did it remain the lead sku thru to the end?

It may look better if that is the case.
Old 11-08-07, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't this start out as a PS3 lead sku before the big "secret" 360 version fiasco? Did it remain the lead sku thru to the end?
No, it started development on the 360. Many people forget that the game was actually first announced at Microsoft's X05 event under the codename "Project Assassin."

What happened is that the following May at E3 '06 is that Ubisoft conveniently never mentioned the 360 version. They never said that it wasn't coming to the 360 though. Most people just assumed that since they never said anything about the 360 version that it was suddenly a PS3 exclusive. People apparently forgot that it was already announced half a year prior as a 360 game.
Old 11-08-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm officially hyped. No pre-order for me, I'll be at Best Buy/Circuit City/Target on Tuesday.
Old 11-08-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
No, it started development on the 360. Many people forget that the game was actually first announced at Microsoft's X05 event under the codename "Project Assassin."

What happened is that the following May at E3 '06 is that Ubisoft conveniently never mentioned the 360 version. They never said that it wasn't coming to the 360 though. Most people just assumed that since they never said anything about the 360 version that it was suddenly a PS3 exclusive. People apparently forgot that it was already announced half a year prior as a 360 game.
I can't forget something I never knew.
Old 11-08-07, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can't forget something I never knew.
You learn something new every day.

Here is the original trailer for "Project Assassin" that was shown at X05.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgxIoVYj890&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgxIoVYj890&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-09-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like GamePro gave it a 5/5 rating in their upcoming issue. Just go to the site to check it out:

So much to do, so little time
It's hard to put the sheer size and brilliance of Assassin's Creed into words. It is an epic game that you have to experience for yourself. I will caution that the game is not for the impatient or the faint of heart. While you can plow through the main storyline in under 20 hours, to truly get every single last shred of gaming goodness, you will probably have to put in twice that number. The enormity of the game will probably turn off gamers expecting a fast-paced action title but remember that an assassin's greatest tool is patience. Approach this game with that frame of mind and you will be rewarded with one of the best gaming experiences around.--Todd Melick
Also, GamesRadar dished out a 10/10 score:

With its riveting story, beautiful visuals and surprisingly lifelike world, Assassin's Creed is an incredibly deep, enjoyable game that kept us addicted from beginning to bizarre end. It's bogged down by a lot of monotonous repetition and a fighting system that's sure to frustrate hack-and-slash fans, but neither of those things really diminished our enjoyment of the game, and both were far outweighed by the thrill of tearing around its enormous cities and carefully planning spectacular assassinations. It might not be for everyone, but playing through Assassin's Creed still stands as one of the most outstanding gaming experiences of 2007.

Last edited by Brent L; 11-09-07 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. Do we have a surprise hit on our hands? Looks like this may come out of left field after numerous disappointing outings at various events to make a run at GOTY.

It currently has a better average, 98.3% (based on these 3 reviews), than Bioshock, Mario & Halo 3. I'm sure Gamespot will drag it down a bunch.
Old 11-09-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is pretty weird. It started out with a ton of hype behind it and everyone, myself included, was really looking forward to it. Then advance word and previews started pouring out, and many sites and magazines revealed that they were really let down, that it wasn't all that it was made out to be, and so on. But now that we're actually seeing reviews, it sounds like either they were wrong, or the preview builds they were checking out weren't up to par as the final game, or something. I can't remember the last time a game was built up, torn down, then really built up once again like this one.

I went from really wanting it, to sorta wanting it, to an absolute no-buy, and now back to must-own.
Old 11-09-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in the PS3 thread, but this is a better place to do so:

Assassin's Creed is available at FamilyVideo.com for under $50 shipped (for both PS3 and Xbox 360) when you use coupon code: NEWMEM3F

Despite what you see in the coupon code, it works for existing members (worked for me!). FamVid seems to be one of the cheaper prices.
Old 11-09-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can confirm that does indeed work. The final total, with $0.99 shipping, is $49.98/shipped.
Old 11-09-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
This game is pretty weird. It started out with a ton of hype behind it and everyone, myself included, was really looking forward to it. Then advance word and previews started pouring out, and many sites and magazines revealed that they were really let down, that it wasn't all that it was made out to be, and so on. But now that we're actually seeing reviews, it sounds like either they were wrong, or the preview builds they were checking out weren't up to par as the final game, or something. I can't remember the last time a game was built up, torn down, then really built up once again like this one.

I went from really wanting it, to sorta wanting it, to an absolute no-buy, and now back to must-own.
This is just another example of the ridiculous fanatacisim over games these days. ign has 16 freaking previews before a game comes out and judges the game so damn early. People don't hype this much pre realease in other medias.

I find this utterly annoying about the video game community.
Old 11-09-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I was going to wait until I could get this used, but the reviews have me pumped...and Best Buy canada is having a deal where you can buy AC and COD4 together for $90, so I'll be getting it for sure.
Order it this sunday online and could be another 10% off.

Anybody watch the trailer on spiketv wed night. Pretty cool.
Old 11-09-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My hype has always been high and I always thought it was going to be one of the top games of the year.
Old 11-09-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I posted this in the PS3 thread, but this is a better place to do so:

Assassin's Creed is available at FamilyVideo.com for under $50 shipped (for both PS3 and Xbox 360) when you use coupon code: NEWMEM3F

Despite what you see in the coupon code, it works for existing members (worked for me!). FamVid seems to be one of the cheaper prices.
Hmm - says the coupon is "invalid or expired" for me, and I've never ordered from them before.

Still, $53 bucks is still a great price.
Old 11-09-07, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My hype has always been high and I always thought it was going to be one of the top games of the year.

Same here.

Assassin's Creed had always been hyped as "the next game from the Prince of Persia team" and PoP was an awesome series so I knew the hype would be well deserved. All the reports of bad controls and such were from an early build, and an early build is just that: early. Early builds are usually bug ridden and sloppy so they are not exactly good estimates of a final game.
Old 11-09-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I just pre-ordered it at GameStop for the 360 and they told me it was pushed back till the 20th.
Old 11-09-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Same here.

Assassin's Creed had always been hyped as "the next game from the Prince of Persia team" and PoP was an awesome series so I knew the hype would be well deserved. All the reports of bad controls and such were from an early build, and an early build is just that: early. Early builds are usually bug ridden and sloppy so they are not exactly good estimates of a final game.
I wouldn't say that. Most of the bad press came from E3, which was only a few months before release. By then, major issues like control, especially being presented to press, is a bad sign. I'm guessing the developers had to do major work to get it working as intended.
Old 11-10-07, 01:40 AM
sk8r1189

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Well I just pre-ordered it at GameStop for the 360 and they told me it was pushed back till the 20th.

That would be a negative, release day was set for the 14th and is still showing the 14th everywhere that I had just checked. (Best Buy, Circuit City, GameStop, EBGames, Funcoland)
Old 11-10-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best Buy here(Ontario Canada) has it bundled with CoD4 for $89.99.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.