Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tom Clancy's EndWar to be completely voice-controlled

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Clancy's EndWar to be completely voice-controlled

Tom Clancy's EndWar is an upcoming new Clancy franchise. Supposedly it is to be a strategy game. The first thing I thought of after reading this news was the scene in Back to the Future where Marty plays Hogan's Alley (or was it Duck Hunt? I can't remember) and the kids watching are like "You have to use your hands? That's for kids."

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4661

So little is known about Tom Clancy's EndWar so far, but the information that Ubisoft revealed today was a doozy. Apparently, the company plans to allow gamers to control the action with just the sound of their voice.

Full Text:

By Eugene Huang

Although precious little information has been revealed regarding Ubisoft's upcoming strategy title Tom Clancy's EndWar, a recent report from Eurogamer claims that the game will be completely controlled through voice commands piped through a headset. These statements came during the company's Ubidays press event, held today in Paris.

Of course, in the event that a gamer is incapable of using voice commands due to issues with speech or the simple lack of a headset, the company also confirms that their game will grant the option of using a control pad.

According to the report, Ubisoft also explained that they are experimenting with a number of unique camera angles to be used in the game. One such angle will originate from an area just over the player's shoulder, as opposed to the usual third-person angle of a fixed point far above the player's head.

Not much else was announced regarding the title, but it has been so far confirmed that it will take place during Tom Clancy's fictional setting of World War III, and will be developed for next-gen consoles by Ubisoft Shanghai.
Old 05-23-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Hopefully, it'll work better than this one

Lifeline

I'll never forget the headline of the PSM review : Her Name Is Rio And She Doesn't Understand
Old 05-23-07, 01:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Hopefully, it'll work better than this one

Lifeline

I'll never forget the headline of the PSM review : Her Name Is Rio And She Doesn't Understand
Just what I was thinking. I can't imagine this one really being good.
Old 12-02-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anybody played Endwar yet?

My wife bought it for $37 (I think) last Friday, but it is for Christmas.

I tried the demo, and it reminded me of SOCOM on PS2. It was OK, but I found when i had like 12 units, I couldn't figure out which was closer to the enemy, so I found I spent a lot of time scrolling to figure out who was who. The same with the enemy, How can i attack "hostile 2" when all I get is a red blip on the map.

I will be playing only single player, so i don't know if there is enough to keep me entertained, or if this is a multi-player designed game, with some single thrown in.
Old 12-02-08, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say I didn't care much for the demo (played on the PS3). Maybe if I spent a little more time w/ it I would like it, but there's so many other games to play/things to do I really didn't feel like trying to like it.

One thing to note on the PS3, not sure if the 360 does this as well or not, if you use the voice modulation/disguise feature of the console, you have to turn that off before playing the game. Evidently whatever does that happens before the audio input is passed into the game logic. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on and why it was so hard to train the silly thing.
Old 12-03-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein
I have to say I didn't care much for the demo (played on the PS3). Maybe if I spent a little more time w/ it I would like it, but there's so many other games to play/things to do I really didn't feel like trying to like it.

One thing to note on the PS3, not sure if the 360 does this as well or not, if you use the voice modulation/disguise feature of the console, you have to turn that off before playing the game. Evidently whatever does that happens before the audio input is passed into the game logic. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on and why it was so hard to train the silly thing.
That is odd it is designed that way.

But the bigger question is, why are you using the voice disguise thing? Trying to sound like a robot online?
Old 12-03-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
That is odd it is designed that way.

But the bigger question is, why are you using the voice disguise thing? Trying to sound like a robot online?
Because he wants his voice to sound like a 16 yr. old girl, to match his gamer profile!
Old 12-03-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jonw9
Has anybody played Endwar yet?
I have only played the demo so far, but I plan on renting it through Gamefly eventually. I had a lot of fun with it. I found the voice recognition to be perfect for me, it never had an issue with anything I said, even when I was saying lots of different commands very quickly in a row.

One thing I didn't like (other than the shitty camera) was how I couldn't group units together to attack a single target. I would have to say "Unit 1 attack target 1, unit 2 attack target 1" etc, but apparently there is some "advanced" voice options you can turn on that let you do a lot of things including grouping units together to make attacking and moving easier.

I actually thought it was a lot of fun only using the controller for camera movements and using my voice to control all of the units completely.