Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii thread - part V

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
I still don't understand why Cooking Mama wasn't a budget title. I guess the lack of games allows it to sell at that price but why not release it at $30? I would have bought it then.
Like most titles, it will be there soon enough.
Old 04-19-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Is everyone really playing that close to their screens? It seems like the effective range is really small - you can't be within five feet of the screen to prevent you from smashing the remote into it and you can't be more than nine feet away?

I have a fairly small living room and if I'm playing a sensor bar game from the couch I sometimes have to lean forward to get it to work well. I'd like to see that range extended a bit.
I sit about 5' with no issues. I did take the Wii to a friends house and we had issues with WiiPlay at about 8' away, but not any other game. So it may also be a game-by-game basis, which sounds very odd. No problems on the wii menu at that distance.
Old 04-19-07, 01:56 PM

i usually play withing 4'-6'

we have a "wii chair"
Old 04-19-07, 02:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sit around 8' away with no issues.
Old 04-19-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Huh. It doesn't really bother me - I'm just surprised. My living room is only about ten feet long and I only have a thirty inch widescreen set, so I've never really felt too close to the screen, but it seems like people with larger sets or projecters would want to be further back. It seems like there should be a configuration screen in the Wii menu that covers things like that. Or even one with the Zelda config options, like setting how wide the sensor bar is, so the games know how wide your set is. I noticed that made a difference in pointer accuracy.
Old 04-19-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a sensor bar sensitivity setting which I imagine you can set for more sensitive if you plan on being further away.
Old 04-19-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played around with that blinking dot setting, but I couldn't get it to appear in the manner they said it should. They were either both solid or only one would appear. Every setting seemed to work fine, though. I haven't really had any problems, other than leaning back on the couch. The Wii Play pointer games seem much smoother and less jittery than, say, the Wii menu screens.

There's obviously a limit to what can be done with updates, but I think that a few more configuration options would be nice, particularly if they carried over into the games.
Old 04-19-07, 03:49 PM

Wait, you guys are using TV's? You don't know about the secret slot with the built in projector?

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 04-19-07 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OMG MEGATON!!!
Old 04-19-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are there any Action RPGS or just RPGS coming up for the Wii?
Old 04-19-07, 04:12 PM

Dragon Quest Swords is the first action RPG that comes to mind. Opoona is another.
Old 04-19-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

Last edited by DodgingCars; 04-19-07 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,555 Posts
I have a 60+ inch DLP, and the one game that annoyed me to no end was that Dragonball game... it forces you to be within a certain distance from the sensor, and it'll pause if you're not in that range. I haven't seen another game do it, but it would seem to indicate that there is an ideal range.
Old 04-19-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got my Wii . Will set it up later this evening. Havent gotten any additional games for it yet. what do people recommend ?

Super Mario Paper looks interesting but i hear there is tons of talking in it which slows down the gameplay.

Ive never played any Legend of Zelda game so not sure if id like it. Shame there are no demos
Old 04-19-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Rayman does the pause thing.
SPM has close to an RPG-level introduction, and the first (relatively short) level or two are kinda slow because they're walking you through the game mechanics at certain points, but after that it picks up pretty well. It's not a Sonic-speed type game, or even SMB, because you can talk to lots of people, but it's not incredibly slow.
I haven't really gotten into LoZ...I thought it would be more RPG instead of action/adventure.
I agree, I think the WiiShop/WiiConnect is a no-brainer for demos.
Old 04-19-07, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dazed
Just got my Wii . Will set it up later this evening. Havent gotten any additional games for it yet. what do people recommend ?

Super Mario Paper looks interesting but i hear there is tons of talking in it which slows down the gameplay.

Ive never played any Legend of Zelda game so not sure if id like it. Shame there are no demos
The talking in Paper Mario doesn't really slow down the game play, but there is a bit at the very beginning. I found it a bit annoying simply because I like to jump into a game and start playing right away but others don't find it that annoying. I'd recommend it.

I've only played the original Zelda and loved the new Zelda. If you haven't played any of them, it's my opinion that you don't have any other versions to compare it to and you will absolutely love it.

Wario Ware is fun for a while, but limited in the gameplay. Wii Sports, in my opion, is worth the price of the console alone. Wii Play, I could take or leave, some of the games I love, some I'm not so fond of. I love Excite Truck, total fun in my opinion. Madden is a blast once you learn the control scheme. Those are the only games I have, so I won't comment on anything else.

Edited to add: I also have Tiger Woods golf. If you like golf, I'd recommend it. If you're not a golf fan...pass. You must be fairly forgiving as the swing will mess up every once in a while if you're too quick.

Last edited by Shadow Ace; 04-19-07 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dazed

You get no demos, but you do get wii sports. Its fun for mulitplayer
Old 04-20-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've played so far, I'd suggest:

Zelda
Wii Play (You get a 2nd controller)
Super Paper Mario
Godfather
Excite Truck
Warioware (it's more of a party game though)
Old 04-20-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, I played wii sports (exhausting but fun ) and have already ordered the Wii Play (hard to get hold of locally so had to get it online).

Im thinking of getting Zelda and Mario and may just rent others from my local video store.

I Love my Wii
Old 04-20-07, 07:49 AM

after getting 275 in credit yesterday at eb (used a coupon to get an additional 50% on trade ins) i broke down and purchased Paper Mario Bros, the nyko rechargeable kit, and a pink Wii case (for my girl)

I honestly didn't expect me to like Paper Mario Bros nearly this much. The rechargeable kit is very nice, but doesn't really accommodate the slip covers we use. The Wii case, besides the color, is absolutely fantastic for 19.99
Old 04-20-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Just have a question for playing Gamecube games. I was thinking of breaking open Metroid Prime to play on the Wii, but I didn't have an HDTV prior to owning the Wii. Right now I have the Wii set to progressive. Do I have to do anything special to make sure I can play my GC games in progressive (for the games that had that)?
Old 04-20-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Just have a question for playing Gamecube games. I was thinking of breaking open Metroid Prime to play on the Wii, but I didn't have an HDTV prior to owning the Wii. Right now I have the Wii set to progressive. Do I have to do anything special to make sure I can play my GC games in progressive (for the games that had that)?
Hold down the B button as the game boots.
Old 04-20-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

all the gamecube games ask me if I want to display in progressive mode and are on a 10 second timer which will default to progressive anyway
Old 04-20-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
all the gamecube games ask me if I want to display in progressive mode and are on a 10 second timer which will default to progressive anyway
When I had my HDTV I still had to do the B button boot sequence and it was defaulting to "No" as usual, this was with the Wii itself set to 480p. I had tested it with Prime 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros., F-Zero Extreme, Mario Golf, Price of Persia.. and probably others.
Old 04-20-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just realized that I haven't even tried a Cube game with my Wii yet. I'd been curious how that was going to work. From what I've read, there must have been two different Cube revisions, because with some you needed to hold down B the first time you inserted a new 480p game and with others, like mine, you just had to hold the B button down once and after that the prompt came up with any 480p games. It always defaulted to "yes" on mine, though - even the first time I played a particular game. It's strange that behavior would change.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.