Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony PSP now is $169.99

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, I picked up Daxter, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo and Untold Legends-Warriors Code.

I'm set for a while!
Old 04-08-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I'll be waiting for the psp lite, sounds like they may make some good improvements
Anyone know what sort of improvements are planned?
Old 04-08-07, 08:11 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my psp. i got one off ebay back in january. the games on it are great, and i love being able to rip my current dvds and put them on a memory stick. I also love to read comics on it. It's a great device.
Old 04-09-07, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
I'll be waiting for the psp lite, sounds like they may make some good improvements
Other than adding another analog nub (and lowering the price as they did), I don't really see what else they could improve. Battery life maybe??

It's not like it was bulky to begin with. I was surprised to see all the things that have been added to the interface..RSS feeds, web browser, location free player, using your own wall paper...when I booted my new PSP up for the first time I was like "what the heck is all this other stuff??" Sure wasn't like that when I bought one during launch!
Old 04-09-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone use a Palm Pilot screen protector for the PSP screen? I've read some reviews on the protectors made for the PSP and it sounds like they're really bad for the most part.
Old 04-09-07, 06:24 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got Daxter for PSP from the trade forum here. Wow...it is one impressive game. Really shows what you can do on the psp...the game is alot of fun too.
Old 04-09-07, 06:49 PM

I'm hoping to pick up a copy of Syphon Filter for the PSP.

I can't wait for some God of War PSP news.
Old 04-09-07, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zodo
Does anyone use a Palm Pilot screen protector for the PSP screen? I've read some reviews on the protectors made for the PSP and it sounds like they're really bad for the most part.
Some people I know have used Palm Pilot, or generic, PDA screen protectors. THey buy the generic ones and cut them to size.

Some of the screen protectors for the PSP aren't that great, some are really good. I tried a pelican one and it was crap....made the screen grainy, for lack of a better word. On my new PSP I picked up an import screen protector from a local shop and it's great.
Old 04-10-07, 07:33 AM

syphon filter is pretty good. People still consistently play it online so you can find a match
Old 04-10-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking about picking one up with some unexpected tax return money but have no clue what I need and how much total it will cost to get everything that I need, so any help would be appreciated.

FYE has it for $140 (after $30 MIR) for the core system but I know I'm going to need a memory card. I know that memory cards are discussed on another thread but I was wondering what the difference is in memory sticks. I noticed that next to the PSP stuff at Best Buy they has Pro Duos marked gaming for $60 or so for a 2 gig but they have some other Pro Duo 2 gig on sale for $40 or so. Is there a difference? Do only certain types of sticks work with the PSP. Sorry for the silly questions but I have no experience with memory sticks whatsoever.

Also, I plan to transfer some movies I have on my computer to the PSP. I assume that I have to pay extra for the usb cord. Target has some accessory for $30 that allows you to take DVDs and put them on your PSP. Do I need all of that to just upload some of my DVDs onto the PSP?

One last question, what other accessories do I need besides whatever comes with the Core system?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I just want to make sure I have an idea of how much I'm in for before I buy it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-07, 09:56 PM

Don't bother with the PSP labeled memory cards. I picked up a 2gb Sandisk Pro Duo card for $30 at Best Buy....over in the game section...there was a Sandisk PSP Pro Duo 2gb selling for $60. No reason other than ignorance to buy the pricier one, something I think Sandisk is banking on.

As far as encoding software for transfering video content, get PSPVideo9. It's free (just google it). The USB cable used by the PSP is the same as most Digital cameras, GPS units etc. use, so if you have one already, you won't need one of those either.

The Logitech case is probably the best one out there, abotu $15 bux anywhere.
Old 04-10-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Don't bother with the PSP labeled memory cards. I picked up a 2gb Sandisk Pro Duo card for $30 at Best Buy....over in the game section...there was a Sandisk PSP Pro Duo 2gb selling for $60. No reason other than ignorance to buy the pricier one, something I think Sandisk is banking on.

As far as encoding software for transfering video content, get PSPVideo9. It's free (just google it). The USB cable used by the PSP is the same as most Digital cameras, GPS units etc. use, so if you have one already, you won't need one of those either.

The Logitech case is probably the best one out there, abotu $15 bux anywhere.
Thats what I was guessing on the memory cards but just wanted to make sure before I bought it. I'd have no other use for the memory card.

I saw that program mentioned earlier and I thought of it when I was at Target and saw the thing they were selling. Glad to know that I don't need it.

Thanks for you help. Will have to go out tomorrow and buy this.
Old 04-11-07, 07:56 AM

i think the absolute BEST protection for your PSP is the armor that came with the MGS : PO pre-order

I know I've dropped my PSP about 4 times with that armor on, and at the MOST, just a peice will pop off, but pops right back in (talking the plastic armor, not something on the stock PSP)

Screen protectors really aren't necessary IMO
Old 04-11-07, 10:51 AM

This little gadget has come a long way. Was nosing around psp411 and found that I can download Flash based games and play them on the PSP. Pretty f'n sweet.

Someone created a dozen or so games specifically for the PSP. I'll be trying it out when I get home.
Old 04-11-07, 11:01 AM

sounds interesting

can't say i've checked those out yet
Old 04-11-07, 11:20 AM

Linky
Old 04-11-07, 11:34 AM

thanks
Old 04-11-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
It's an awesome system. I've been having fun since it came out

I own:
Capcom Classic Collection Remixed
Lumines
Lumines 2
Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play (21)
Sega Genesis Collection (28)
Activision Hits Remixed (44)
Every Extended Play
Mercury
Puzzle Quest
Coded Arms
Harvest Moon Innocent Life
Sid Meier's Pirates!
PSP Demo Pack
Worms Open Warfare
Old 04-14-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked one up last night, and noticed that it had a dead pixel. Picked it up from FYE because they had a $30 MIR but maybe I should have went to a store that sells more of them to guarantee a newer model. The dead pixel is on the top of the screen. What is protocol on something like this? I don't want to return it for something like this if its a common "minor problem". Other than that I so far like the system.
Old 04-14-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
I bought a new PSP from Gamestop on Thursday. Today is the first day I got to play with it. I'm mad as heck because I found four or five dead pixels. This really pisses me off. The PSP has been out for two years now and this is still a problem.

Is there anything I can do about it? I doubt Gamestop will swap it out because they are fuuny as heck about returning things. If I did get to exchange it, who is stay the next one won't have the same problem.
Old 04-15-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I bought a new PSP from Gamestop on Thursday. Today is the first day I got to play with it. I'm mad as heck because I found four or five dead pixels. This really pisses me off. The PSP has been out for two years now and this is still a problem.

Is there anything I can do about it? I doubt Gamestop will swap it out because they are fuuny as heck about returning things. If I did get to exchange it, who is stay the next one won't have the same problem.
Damn, that sucks. You would think that they would have taken care of that by now, especially with dead pixels on NEW machines.

I also had another great problem with one of my PSP purchases. I picked up Star Wars Battlefront II for the PSP for 20 at Target and opened it up today to discover that there was no game inside. I noticed there was a slice in the wrap when I went to open it today but I figured I had done that earlier and never got around to unwrapping it. What the hell do I say about that one? I'm going to try and do it tomorrow. I highly doubt I will have any luck.

This PSP purchase is working out for me more and more.
Old 04-15-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos

The last time I owned one I bought used. Every Gamestop will probably have a dozen used PSPs to choose from if not more. Tell them you want to test them all and find the one with the best screen and in the best condition. I did this last time and found a nearly perfect PSP. Just grab a UMD and get on a screen that is very black so you can spot the dead pixels that stay white.

I would not buy a new PSP since its a crap shoot to get a good screen.
Old 04-16-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I know four people including me that have a psps, and not one of us has a dead pixel. Give it another shot. I also remmeber reading about a video clip a guy created to 'jumpstart' dead pixels on psp's. Apparently it uses flashing colors to get the pixels working again. Most of the feedback on it was really positive. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw that...

Last edited by freshticles; 04-16-07 at 01:50 PM.