Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii - Part IV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rayw69
A quick tip about Tiger Woods.

It has perhaps the worst user interface ever designed in any game I have ever played. Not speaking about the actual game controls. I am referring to the navigation through the various menus to start a game, and the ones used to customize your character.

Unbelievable that none of the reviews for the game have mentioned this.
Can you give some details on what is wrong with the interface?
Old 03-14-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just picked up Tiger Woods today too. Will report back on how it plays (hopefully somewhat like a home golf 'simulator'). I'm gonna play it like the amateur I am, trying to give it my best swings. (None of that one-handed swipe junk that was in the promo video!)
Old 03-14-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I rented a couple of Wii games in the past few weeks. While I love the games that I actually bought (Zelda, trauma center, Elebits, Rayman, and Super Monkey Ball) I just found the control schemes of both rental games too difficult to use.

The first game I rented was Dragonball Z, which has gotten decent reviews. The one huge knock against this game was that it forces you to be within a certain distance from the receiver... which is fine for a smaller tv, but not for a bigger TV. While I could see the novelty of the new control scheme, it just seemed really cumbersome to have to remember all of these movements to do simple moves.

The second game was Sonic. I was really impressed by the presentation and some of the longer levels. However, I had a really hard time figuring out how to do some of the moves... it took me forever to learn to flick the wiimote in order to boost, because the instructions just tell you to move it forward quickly, and even then I found that I couldn't do it consistently. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do a backward dash or a boost start. Fun game, though, and I can see how much fun Excite Truck must be (unfortunately, it's always rented out).

I'm sure as developers get more comfortable with the controls, new games will come out that better utilize them. I'm now hesitant about SSX Tricky, since it's supposed to have a pretty tough learning curve...
Old 03-14-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
Just picked up Tiger Woods today too. Will report back on how it plays (hopefully somewhat like a home golf 'simulator'). I'm gonna play it like the amateur I am, trying to give it my best swings. (None of that one-handed swipe junk that was in the promo video!)
I'm hoping to hear that you can really take your normal swing in this game and have it impart the swing into the game in a realistic manner. I seldom play the Wii sports golf because the swing required was too candy-ass for me to consistently enjoy it.
Old 03-14-07, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Can you give some details on what is wrong with the interface?
The UI is counter-intuitive in almost every way. It is a bit hard to describe. When you think you should be using the A button to press on arrows you can visually see, it turns out you are required to use the d-pad. Leaving your cursor hovering over clothing items for a period of time zooms into the item.

I think my main problem with it is, that the cursor is always "active". Think of how the Wii News channel works when you scroll vertically. It requires you to hold down the B button to scroll. In TW, it scrolls as default.

There are multiple menus which scroll when you move over them with the cursor. There are 11 "pages" of modifications you can make to your character's face. When you want to page up or page down, you move your cursor to the bottom of the designated area, and it changes pages. However, on the right side of the screen, there are controls to zoom in or rotate your avatar, so you can better see the changes being made. When you move the cursor to go use these zoom/rotate controls, your cursor inevitably crosses over one of the areas which cause the page to change.

In general, there are far too many UI "gimmicks" that use the Wii remote.
Old 03-14-07, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm hoping to hear that you can really take your normal swing in this game and have it impart the swing into the game in a realistic manner. I seldom play the Wii sports golf because the swing required was too candy-ass for me to consistently enjoy it.
I don't play golf, so I can't provide any feedback based on a real golfer's perspective. However, I would say that the IGN review has it just right. The fact that the game detects draws and fades is a real nice addition. However, the fact that the game does not track your swing 1 to 1 like Wii Sports Golf does makes it very hard to pull off non-full power shots. Instead of shortening your own swing, you are watching your character and interrupting his/her swing at the correct point, in order to achieve less power.

The game is definitely harder though. Which addresses my main complaint about the Tiger Woods series from the past. I don't see myself ripping off Eagles and Birdies with the same frequency any time soon.
Old 03-14-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I rented a couple of Wii games in the past few weeks. While I love the games that I actually bought (Zelda, trauma center, Elebits, Rayman, and Super Monkey Ball) I just found the control schemes of both rental games too difficult to use.

The first game I rented was Dragonball Z, which has gotten decent reviews. The one huge knock against this game was that it forces you to be within a certain distance from the receiver... which is fine for a smaller tv, but not for a bigger TV. While I could see the novelty of the new control scheme, it just seemed really cumbersome to have to remember all of these movements to do simple moves.

The second game was Sonic. I was really impressed by the presentation and some of the longer levels. However, I had a really hard time figuring out how to do some of the moves... it took me forever to learn to flick the wiimote in order to boost, because the instructions just tell you to move it forward quickly, and even then I found that I couldn't do it consistently. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do a backward dash or a boost start. Fun game, though, and I can see how much fun Excite Truck must be (unfortunately, it's always rented out).

I'm sure as developers get more comfortable with the controls, new games will come out that better utilize them. I'm now hesitant about SSX Tricky, since it's supposed to have a pretty tough learning curve...
I'm actually renting SSX and Sonic now. I like both the games, but neither are $50 buys for me. I may pick them up later for $20. I found the Sonic controls to work ok for the few levels I played (I'm in the 1st world after the prologue.).

I had a few problems with SSX, but they were minor. For some reason I couldn't carve right. Now it works fine. I'm hoping it was just a fluke thing. I've had a lot of fun with the game, but it does seem that sometimes I can "flip" the remote and get the character the flip and sometimes he spins instead. Other than that, I've enjoyed them both. I'll probably send both back to gamefly tomorrow though and check out some other stuff.

I still haven't played Elebits or Rayman yet.
Old 03-14-07, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, the fact that the game does not track your swing 1 to 1 like Wii Sports Golf does makes it very hard to pull off non-full power shots.
Damn it (takes Tiger off his shopping list).

Guess I'll be waiting for Mario Golf.
Old 03-15-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't play golf, so I can't provide any feedback based on a real golfer's perspective. However, I would say that the IGN review has it just right. The fact that the game detects draws and fades is a real nice addition. However, the fact that the game does not track your swing 1 to 1 like Wii Sports Golf does makes it very hard to pull off non-full power shots. Instead of shortening your own swing, you are watching your character and interrupting his/her swing at the correct point, in order to achieve less power.

The game is definitely harder though. Which addresses my main complaint about the Tiger Woods series from the past. I don't see myself ripping off Eagles and Birdies with the same frequency any time soon.
Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll try renting it first to see if the swing mechanics are tolerable.
Old 03-15-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Tiger Woods:

Didn't have much time to fool around with it last night--just did some customization and shot 9 holes. I agree the interface is clunky and user-unfriendly. (Surprised me that this would be a problem!) It's mostly in the customization and pro shop, though. Once you're playing, the game interface is fine. But the active cursor in the customization screens does scrolland switch things accidentally. Plus, you don't have an 'OK' button to confirm choices and end a set of options. Instead, you have to hit the '-' button to back out of option screens until you are far enough back to where you want to be (e.g., to the game start menu). Not very friendly.

As for the control mechanics, still a mixed bag for me. It does seem to track hooks and slices well. But several times I lined up at the tee for an actual shot (holding the B trigger to begin a real swing), head down(!), and after I swing I hear no ball contact, and am looking at the screen to see my character with his club at full backswing position after I followed through. Not sure why this happens, but it happens a lot. (And my sensor bar is fine for everything else.) After a while I could not get consistent power on swings--taking a full swing would only give 50-60% or so, which is disastrous. Not sure why this happened, but it may be some subtle timing issues. It is also *very* hard to control speed on putts. Once or twice I hit hard putts, 30-40 feet, but later with some long putts, trying to do the same motion, I was getting 10-foot putts. (5-putt anyone?)

So, the game can be played with real golf-type swings, but there are still some timing nuances that I apparently haven't figured out yet and which I've not been consistent with. If I figure these things out (consistent swing response and putting strength), it will be very fun indeed, and not a ridiculously easy golf game (like Wii Sports Golf, which I still kinda like). Plus there are a lot of courses, so the variety will be there.

I'm wondering if a full-sized golf club attachment (and enough room in front of the tv!) would make things easier and be an even better sim.

Has anyone played Tiger Woods and Super Swing and can offer a comparison?
Old 03-15-07, 11:00 AM
tpc

The wii has been a disappointment to me lately, as there's just not a lot good coming out for it, but I guess we knew that drought was coming. I have gotten some miles out of the VC of late though... finished a couple seasons of Tecmo Bowl and Donkey Kong Country last night, and they are as much fun as I remember. For my money, DKC is one of the best platformers ever made.

I beat it in under three hours though... I seem to remember it taking a lot longer... even about 3 years ago when I gave it a spin on the GBA. *shrug*... still 8 bucks well spent.

Next, I think I'm going to give the original Zelda a spin.
Old 03-15-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by tpc
For my money, DKC is one of the best platformers ever made.

I beat it in under three hours though... I seem to remember it taking a lot longer... even about 3 years ago when I gave it a spin on the GBA. *shrug*... still 8 bucks well spent.
I was thinking the same thing when I beat Super Castlevania IV. Short. I can't believe I bought some of these games at full price for such a short amount of play time.
Old 03-15-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Yeah, but those games were just as fun (if not more so) the 3rd or 4th time through as they were the 1st or 2nd. The same can't be said of even the better 20-hour action games of today.
Old 03-15-07, 12:25 PM
tpc

I think in many ways, it's a matter of improved skills.

Seriously.

When I go back and play games like this, I'm blown away by how slow they feel compared to today's games. I think in many ways, it's an improved reaction time. I could be totally off my rocker, here, but I think that decreases the challenge, and thus decreases the playtime.

Some of it is also familiarity. You go "I've been here before... I know what to do" and there's less of that discovery time.
Old 03-15-07, 12:31 PM
Retired

I think it's more familiarity than decreased skills.

Go back and play some of the really hard games like Battletoads or the NES Ninja Gaiden games. Those games require crazy reaction time etc.

I beat those when I was young, and can barely get past the first or second levels today. So I highly doubt its improved skills, it's just games like DKC or Super Mario World were never all that hard, and are even easier now when you remember how to get past parts you got stuck at the first time or two through the game.
Old 03-15-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You also weren't knocking down Scotch or micro-brews while playing them 'back in the day' either.
Old 03-15-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
You also weren't knocking down Scotch or micro-brews while playing them 'back in the day' either.
I still don't.
Old 03-15-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, 'cept for the summer after HS when I thought it was awesome to get drunk and play PS1 games.
Old 03-15-07, 12:54 PM
tpc

Don't knock a good Micro Brew. I'm working on my own Chocolate Stout right now, and I anticipate it will go great with some Old School Zelda.
Old 03-15-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

o sh!t

chocolate stoudt sounds pretty bangin
Old 03-15-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh.. alcohol + video games is every Saturday at my place.
Old 03-15-07, 01:15 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by shumway
That's limited to multiplayer outings with friends a couple times a month.

I'm not knocking down scotch or micro-brews while playing SMW by myself on the virtual console or Battletoads on an emulator.
Old 03-15-07, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
This article is a week old, but I don't think it was posted here, and it's just too funny to let it go by:

Video game guru wants happy games

By RACHEL KONRAD, AP Technology Writer
Thu Mar 8, 5:51 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Video game developers should resist the temptation to produce only sequels of established hits and games based on horror and revenge, Nintendo Co.'s top designer said Thursday.

Video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto said his industry's reputation has suffered in the past decade. Designers have failed to deliver titles that bring joy to the widest possible spectrum of players, focusing too often on hard-core gamers and their lust for gore and realism, he said.

"I always want that first reaction to be emotion, to be positive — to give a sense of satisfaction, glee," Miyamoto told thousands of developers attending the annual Game Developer Conference here. "Certain obstacles may temporarily raise feelings of suspense, competition, even frustration. But we always want that final result, that final emotion, to be a positive one."

Miyamoto's emphasis on plucky, fantastic, upbeat games contrasts with the slew of violent but popular games today — titles such as "Grand Theft Auto," "Mortal Kombat" and "Resident Evil." A growing number of politicians, educators and psychiatric experts cite studies linking violent games and aggressive behavior.

Designers take Miyamoto's lectures seriously. Time Magazine called him "the Stephen Spielberg of video games."

Miyamoto created titles such as "Mario Brothers," "Donkey Kong" and "The Legend of Zelda." Together, those titles have sold about 288 million copies.

Miyamoto — an ambidextrous doodler who plays guitar and banjo — joined Nintendo in 1980 to work on coin-operated arcade games. He's worked on every game console Nintendo has released over nearly three decades, including the popular Wii, which debuted last year.

He also helped developed "Super Mario Galaxy," an obstacle course-style game he previewed Thursday. It will come out later this year.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070308/...tendo_designer

Nintendo in general and Shigeru Miyamoto in particular coming out against sequels? What's next -- fish coming out against water?
Old 03-15-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Hypocracy aside, I kinda understand what he's getting at, but after playing some God of War 2 last night (which is a very violent game about revenge that also happens to be a sequel), I say fuck him - I really don't care what a game's about - I just want it to be fun - and violent sequels can be just as fun as a game designed by Miyamoto.
Old 03-15-07, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Hypocracy aside, I kinda understand what he's getting at, but after playing some God of War 2 last night (which is a very violent game about revenge that also happens to be a sequel), I say fuck him - I really don't care what a game's about - I just want it to be fun - and violent sequels can be just as fun as a game designed by Miyamoto.
I get what he's saying, too -- a lot of development time goes into copying last year's hit or coming up with a different variation on "Player has big gun and uses it to blow things up." Unique concepts for games are always welcome, and the best games tend to tread new ground. But he's a bad messenger for "no sequels," particularly since he's just finishing development on yet another Super Mario Brothers game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.