Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SSX Blur- Who's getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I unlocked the second peak last night after getting the hang of the ubers. I practiced uber tricking for about 10 minutes and I have it down.

I've only tried three as of now. The "heart", the "Z" and the "loop". I can pull all three off on demand now. The regular turning, grabing and jumping moves are all be second nature now.

I seriously don't know why so many reviewers had a problem with the controls. I don't play nearly as many games as these guys and I can pull off the moves.

I will find it hard to believe Wii reviews for a long time after these ones.
Old 03-02-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

they are just Wii-tarded
Old 03-02-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So this is basically a rehash of SSX3, right?
Old 03-02-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
So this is basically a rehash of SSX3, right?
If you completely ignore the new control scheme you could say that.
Old 03-02-07, 10:43 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by outer-edge
I agree that does not fit the game, but I can understand why it was maybe done. There appear (I have yet to play the game) to be tricks tied to the basic movements already. Instead of assigning a complicated series of minor movements to Uber Tricks, they assigned a familiar shape -- some easier than others to do. This is just an assumption, but it seems to make sense and doesn't bother me really any way.
Yeah, that's a reasonable explanation for why they did it.

This kind of stuff is just a turn off to me. Its the same on the DS, I've never liked the games that replaced normal controls with touch screen controls for the most part. Stuff like Mario 64, Star Fox, Mario Hoops etc. It just doesn't work as well as traditional controls and adds nothing to the game so I just don't see the point.

The main games I've enjoyed are platformers that use the touch screen little if at all, or new games that are innovative in that they could only be done with the new control like Kirby Canvas Curse and Brain Age.

It looks like it will be the same for me with the Wii, I'm not going to like the ports, remakes and sequels where motion control just totally replaces the normal controls, and will more enjoy games that don't use the motion control as much or at all (Zelda, Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy etc.), and some games that (hopefully) come out and are really innovative and use the motion control to make a type of game that couldn't be done without it.
Old 03-02-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I got to the 2nd peak too (coming in 1st in all events, along with pulling off a few ubers), and while I can contol my boarder a lot better now, I'm still not diggin' on the control set-up, and prefer the older controls a lot more.

It's like they gave us the same game (re-used tracks), with new controls, when I would have much prefered new tracks, with the old controls.

Last edited by slop101; 03-02-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-05-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hope they have a code to unlock the peaks. I have figured out the ubers but can't get past the slalom race to get to peak two. It's very aggravating to have this new game and be crippled by one event. I have golds on all peak one activities except for the slalom and then they screw ya with the slalom in a tournament. It's just not fair.
Old 03-05-07, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I really hope they have a code to unlock the peaks. I have figured out the ubers but can't get past the slalom race to get to peak two. It's very aggravating to have this new game and be crippled by one event. I have golds on all peak one activities except for the slalom and then they screw ya with the slalom in a tournament. It's just not fair.
Which race are you referring to? The only event I cannot possibly win is the race required to knock down flags. That is perhaps one of the most impossible tasks in gaming EVER! And as far as I know, the only event not yet beaten. I would love to try the other peaks, too!
Old 03-05-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The slalom can be hard at first but you'll get the hang of it. I find the best way is to tilt the nunchuk fully to one side then smoothly twist it completely to the other side. At the same time do this with the analog so you are fully turned left, then fully turned right. The 'hit the flags' challenge was really hard for me at first but I bet if I went back I could do it in a few tries.
Old 03-05-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I had little to no interest in this game but after reading everything, especially about the controls, I'm anxious to try it out. I'm trying to finagle a trade on CAG for it, so hopefully I'll be hitting the slopes soon.
Old 03-05-07, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
The slalom can be hard at first but you'll get the hang of it. I find the best way is to tilt the nunchuk fully to one side then smoothly twist it completely to the other side. At the same time do this with the analog so you are fully turned left, then fully turned right. The 'hit the flags' challenge was really hard for me at first but I bet if I went back I could do it in a few tries.
Maybe somebody can Youtube a video of this because it has to be seen to be believed by me. Maybe if the slope was level so I couldn't just jump over and over, I could MAYBE manage and tag them all.
Old 03-05-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The best way to win the slaloms is to go as slow as you can (and NO jumping), and nail every single flag - you just have to make really hard turns - I did a lot better after I improved my carving rating.
Old 03-05-07, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
The best way to win the slaloms is to go as slow as you can (and NO jumping), and nail every single flag - you just have to make really hard turns - I did a lot better after I improved my carving rating.
Yeah, I need to up my carving rating a lot more, I think. It's currently at a 3.
Old 03-05-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I started out with my carving at a 2, but I was able to beat the slalom course on the 1st peak pretty easily once I got it to 3.
Old 03-05-07, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I started out with my carving at a 2, but I was able to beat the slalom course on the 1st peak pretty easily once I got it to 3.
Maybe I have just a 2. I don't have the game on in front me to check unfortunately .
Old 03-05-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chris_santucci
Maybe somebody can Youtube a video of this because it has to be seen to be believed by me. Maybe if the slope was level so I couldn't just jump over and over, I could MAYBE manage and tag them all.
Here you go. Warning: I don't even own a real video camera; thats just from the video mode on my still pictures digital camera. Hopefully it gives you something to shoot for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLo1JYuABM

Edit: I just shot another with my hand in the frame. I'll have it up in a little while. Hopefully it helps.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 03-05-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 02:23 PM

Here you go. Warning: I don't even own a real video camera; thats just from the video mode on my still pictures digital camera. Hopefully it gives you something to shoot for.

Edit: I just shot another with my hand in the frame. I'll have it up in a little while. Hopefully it helps.
Wow. Didn't expect someone to do this and do this so quickly. Thanks!
Old 03-05-07, 02:25 PM

Actually, I beat that course, but the one in the tournament at the very top right of the board is the one I'm having trouble with.
Old 03-05-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peak 3's slalom? I found that to be the easiest. You just need to memorize where the flags are and brake a lot. If its the one from Peak 1 then the strategy is the same as this only its easier. This is the slalom from the second peak which I find to be the most challenging.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 03-05-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, here is the second part of my video. It's another run showing my hand this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvpVUyDFaVg
Old 03-05-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well it seems that using skis and going backward was my only hope of beating the tournament and making it to Peak 2. Those events are easily the worst part of the game. I really like the rest of the events and the controls but the slalom isn't something I enjoy at all.
Old 03-05-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here, I made another video of Wild Tree Fun's slalom. I personally think this one is pretty easy. Theres the one big drop thats a bit tough to recover from but other than that its a cinch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6rm1UOaF8
Old 03-05-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is Blur able to do Widescreen? I thought I read it could.
Old 03-06-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Is Blur able to do Widescreen? I thought I read it could.
yes
Old 03-06-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by huh?
yes
Where is it set at?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.