Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SSX Blur- Who's getting it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think people's appreciation (or lack of) for the Wii has a lot to do what other systems they own and what over system they've owned.

The only Nintendo console I've ever owned was a NES. I've never even played a Gamecube. I've had limited experience with N64. I had a friend with a SNES that we probably spent more time playing SFII than anything else on it.

I don't own any other next gen console other than the Wii. I can't compare the 360 graphics to the Wii because I've never played a 360. I also don't own a HDTV.

While I think there are some disappointments with the Wii, it has been an awesome investment for me. Not having a Gamecube, I now have one. I even bought a couple GC games from eBay the other day (haven't received yet). Not having any other Nintendo console, the VC (though overpriced) is opening up a bunch of games to me that I've never played before. This isn't just nostagia for me... It's new as well. When I have some extra cash, I plan to buy Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

I also don't spend a lot on games and haven't beat Zelda, so the Wii draught isn't really affecting me. Between Zelda, Sports, and even Play... I have enough to hold me over. I'm also renting (Gamefly) Warioware and will probably rent SSX and Sonic soon.

I only have 1 computer, so the internet channel is actually cool for my house. If my wife is on the computer, I can still jump on to the internet via the Wii. IMO, the internet itself makes it almost worth the $250 price tag.

While the console will (hopefully!!!) shine in the next year or so, I have no regrets being an early adopter. Maybe if I've had this since Nov., I'd be more frustrated... I don't know.
Old 03-01-07, 02:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
umm.....

to the point about "drawing motions that don't seem to have much to do with what the trick involves".... have you played an SSX game? Those moves, in no way, are even possible, let alone mimic any sort of movement that could be reproduced IRL

I meant don't have much to do with the motion of the trick in terms of the game motion, not the real life. i.e. moving the wiimote one way or the other to start spin makes sense in regards to what's happening on screen. Drawing a huge Z as described above is just arbitrary.

And again, since you apparently missed in the first two times, I agree it probably isn't possible to do much in that regard for this game/genre, and again it's a type of game I think is better left to the traditional controllers on the other consoles. If the movements are going to be completely arbitrary I'd rather press a button than make big, silly movements.

Some seem to like it and say it freshened up the game. Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea is all.
Old 03-01-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, i honestly I would never purchase the game. My wii gets played when friends request it. Given that, unless we were just racing, you couldn't expect a random friend to spend the necessary time on the game to be to have any sort of competition that wouldn't be lop-sided.
Old 03-01-07, 02:54 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well it is hard to pass up when it's only $250. So even if you get 2 games you like, that is still pretty good for a launch. So $250, an extra controller and a couple games is still $50 cheaper than a premium 360 with 1 game an no extra controller.
I honestly jumped on board just because of some trade in deals that allowed me to get the console and Zelda for no out of pocket costs.

I wouldn't have bought it at $250 out of pocket since Zelda was all I was interested in, and would have waited a year or so and see how the rest of the games had panned out and then decided between it the 360.

But I guess in the end this isn't much different since it didn't cost me anything out of pocket and I can sell it toward a 360 or PS3 down the road if the games don't pan out in a years time.

But between this and the DS I've learned my lesson for sure--no consoles until the first price drop for me for now on.

Thus you guys will be spared my bitching the next go round.
Old 03-01-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only own Zelda, Wii Sports and now Blur. I am happy with all of those. The only gripe I have with the Wii so far is that I waste too much time playing it. And that's really more my wife's gipe than mine
Old 03-01-07, 02:58 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
yea, i honestly I would never purchase the game. My wii gets played when friends request it. Given that, unless we were just racing, you couldn't expect a random friend to spend the necessary time on the game to be to have any sort of competition that wouldn't be lop-sided.

Agreed. And its disappointing as prior SSX games were pretty good pick up and play games.

The newbies were still going to get killed, but they could at least catch on pretty quick and start pulling of some cool moves.
Old 03-01-07, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I honestly jumped on board just because of some trade in deals that allowed me to get the console and Zelda for no out of pocket costs.

I wouldn't have bought it at $250 out of pocket since Zelda was all I was interested in, and would have waited a year or so and see how the rest of the games had panned out and then decided between it the 360.

But I guess in the end this isn't much different since it didn't cost me anything out of pocket and I can sell it toward a 360 or PS3 down the road if the games don't pan out in a years time.

But between this and the DS I've learned my lesson for sure--no consoles until the first price drop for me for now on.

You just need to play your DS for the next couple months. It was you (I think) that posted a ton of AA and AAA titles that will be available this year.

Patience grasshoppa.
Old 03-01-07, 03:05 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
You just need to play your DS for the next couple months. It was you (I think) that posted a ton of AA and AAA titles that will be available this year.

Patience grasshoppa.

Yeah, I'm not lacking for games to play. Tons of shit to play on the DS, PS2, GC and PC that I never got around too. Mostly catch up, there's not really much coming out on the DS in the next few months that I really want. So I guess it wasn't me that posted the list.

It's just always frustrating when there's nothing you want to play on your shiny new console though.

But more seriously, I'm just a bit down as I was so hyped for the motion control and now having it it has yet to impress me aside from the sword and aiming in Zelda, so I'm a bit worried that the controls will never live up to my hopes.
Old 03-01-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

We will see you in the Super Paper Mario thread then.
Old 03-01-07, 03:18 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I'm not lacking for games to play. Tons of shit to play on the DS, PS2, GC and PC that I never got around too. Mostly catch up, there's not really much coming out on the DS in the next few months that I really want. So I guess it wasn't me that posted the list.

It's just always frustrating when there's nothing you want to play on your shiny new console though.

But more seriously, I'm just a bit down as I was so hyped for the motion control and now having it it has yet to impress me aside from the sword and aiming in Zelda, so I'm a bit worried that the controls will never live up to my hopes.
I should have elaborated more. The AA and AAA titles were for the Wii. I talked about both in the same sentence.
Old 03-01-07, 03:26 PM
Retired

My bad, indeed there are some great Wii games coming this year. I hope the all make it out! I most skeptical of Smash Bros, but its the one I'm least anticipating. As long as Metroid and Mario Galaxy make it out I'll be pretty satisfied.
Old 03-01-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

honestly, I only care about Metroid at this point
Old 03-01-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I have a massive boner for Super Paper Mario myself - 27 hours of 2D Mario platforming action.
Old 03-01-07, 04:23 PM
Retired

Yeah, I can't wait for Paper Mario.

Easily looking most forward to that of any announced Wii release besides Mario Galaxy. And if IIRC you can play it with the gamecube and/or classic controllers so no motion control issues for me.
Old 03-01-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IGN.com forum member TrueDoogie shows that the controls aren't "broken" in Blur. Check out the video he made:

Many reviewers and board members can't seem to understand SSX Blur's controls. Namely, they can't draw the uber shapes with ease. I have owned the game for a matter of hours, never played it before this and am able to do what most say is impossible. Don't blame the game, there is nothing broken here.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Raw1UoI4R1E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Raw1UoI4R1E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Very impressive control shown there, especially after only playing the game for a few hours.

Old 03-01-07, 07:05 PM
Retired

I was hoping it was one of those videos that showed the actual controller motion along with the game video.

I'd like to see what he's doing to get the moves. Its good to see they do work for those that learn the controls, but I'd like to see the motions to see if you need to be a black belt to draw the movements fast enough and precise enough.
Old 03-01-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was hoping it was one of those videos that showed the actual controller motion along with the game video.

I'd like to see what he's doing to get the moves. Its good to see they do work for those that learn the controls, but I'd like to see the motions to see if you need to be a black belt to draw the movements fast enough and precise enough.
Here is a video that shows exactly that:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UFiEKsmrDw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5UFiEKsmrDw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 03-01-07, 08:41 PM
Retired

Thanks!

Were there any ubertricks in that video. I didn't notice any of the "Draw" commands popping up on screen as in the video above.

That said, the controls in that video didn't look to unwieldy but still definitely wouldn't be my cup of tea as I don't want to do that much movement while playing a game like this. I'm too lazy.

Its ok in something like wiisports that you just break out occasionally for multiplayer, but not a game like this were I tend to get sucked in to long sessions trying for high scores etc.
Old 03-01-07, 08:55 PM

i'm pretty sure i saw the player drawing a heart with their hands in the 2nd video

Were there any ubertricks in that video. I didn't notice any of the "Draw" commands popping up on screen as in the video above.
Old 03-01-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I only noticed one, and it was in the last 15 seconds. And like the previous, long-winded, reviewer mentioned it worked best with wide & slow sweeping motions, much like this video showed.
Old 03-01-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife surprised me with the game tonight so it's unlikely I will sleep much tonight. I loved Tricky but after that I lost interest a bit.

I tried a few brief events and I really move more than I have to so I kind of feel out of control. I need to tone down my movements but it'll be tough since I've played so many games so far where you really exaggerate your movements. It'll be hard to tone it down at first.
Old 03-01-07, 09:41 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by keit2208
i'm pretty sure i saw the player drawing a heart with their hands in the 2nd video

Ah, thanks I caught it on a second view. I have to say it's pretty silly to have to draw a friggin heart to do a trick. That's so totally unrelated to the gameplay. Seems like that would take me out of the game rather than immersing me.

Some of the stuff like steering by tilting the nunchuck, spinning by aiming the wiimote left or right, flicking it up to jump or flip (couldn't tell which) etc. look pretty cool.

But drawing hearts etc. seems incredibly forced and tacked on to me. Kind of like having to draw those dumb ass seals on the bosses in the first DS Castlevania. I hated that shit.
Old 03-01-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But drawing hearts etc. seems incredibly forced and tacked on to me. Kind of like having to draw those dumb ass seals on the bosses in the first DS Castlevania. I hated that shit.
I agree that does not fit the game, but I can understand why it was maybe done. There appear (I have yet to play the game) to be tricks tied to the basic movements already. Instead of assigning a complicated series of minor movements to Uber Tricks, they assigned a familiar shape -- some easier than others to do. This is just an assumption, but it seems to make sense and doesn't bother me really any way.

I'll likely trade some stuff in this weekend for the game.
Old 03-02-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't mind the uber trick drawing if I could actually do it. I played the game for about 2 hours and can't do an uber at all. The tutorial is no help to me. I need to walk away from the game for a bit before I get an more pissed off.

Other than my poor drawing skills the game is pretty good. The controls are pretty good and fairly responsive when it comes to the simple controller tilts and turns.
Old 03-02-07, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now IGN.com joins the fray. They posted a video where they complete nine ubers in 60 seconds!

Uber Mania!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.