Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

otters... I have NO CLUE about PSP or Nintendo DS but I want one

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
Is that anything like dunkin' the dolphin?
Gasp! Sir, I don't know what you're trying to imply, but I was merely referring to the game...
Old 02-22-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the PSP: So if I have a wifi connection i can connect to the internet. Can you play people online across the world like on psp servers or is it only other people around you? I'm really thinking about getting a PSP and want some input from people who have one already.
Old 02-22-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have a PSP, but, I do know that you can connect to other players around the world, not just locally.
Old 02-22-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

basically, you would look for "infrastructure" on the back of games to see if you can connect to a server, and find games that way

you'd be looking at games like

SOCOM 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops
Syphon Filter
Fight Night Rd. 3
ATV off road

etc
Old 02-22-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sounds good. overall impressions from psp owners?
Old 02-22-07, 02:18 PM

I have JUST about every good PSP game you can imagine. If you have any questions about specific games, Id be more than happy to help

I just picked up Spectral Souls (turn based strat RPG) today. So far, so good
Old 02-22-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK I went out and bought a Nintendo DS lite! I got a black one for $129 and I purchased an extended three year warranty. I will now create a new thread to ask further questions and recommendations, if this is frowned upon mods please combine threads .
Old 02-22-07, 03:26 PM

I'd say just go to the DS thread, or do a search for DS thread recommendations. Theres a few actually
Old 02-23-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

do you think the PSP is going to be around long enough to warrant me buying one? i thought i heard some rumors about it not doing well. also with the ps3 coming out how much longer are they going to keep developing for system that is basically a ps2? don't feel like buying a dreamcast this late in the game. also is there some really killer games coming in the newar future?
Old 02-23-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think Sony is about to pull the plug on their entry into the handheld market yet. While it is getting killed by the DS Lite, it does still sell. There have been talks of a possible re-design as well. It was a re-design that sparked the real break-through in the retail market for the DS. Though it also didn't hurt that they started releasing some really good games around the same time.
Old 02-23-07, 08:48 AM

honestly, Tekken DR is done SO unbelievably well, DS really doesn't have any game that can compare, in my book anyway
Old 02-23-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right, but Nintendo handhelds have never been good at Fighting games. I personally would never trade say a Final Fantasy III for a Tekken anyway.
Old 02-23-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,428 Likes on 4,395 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
honestly, Tekken DR is done SO unbelievably well, DS really doesn't have any game that can compare, in my book anyway
Agreed. It looks amazing; better than almost anything on PS2, actually. The D-pad isn't that great for some moves, but I really enjoy that game.

I'm really enjoying Ratchet & Clank now. The camera controls take a little to get used to if you're tring to move and strafe, but overall it feels just like a PS2 R & C game, which is a huge achievement for a handheld, IMO.

I own a DS and honestly, I play my PSP a lot more. I think several PSP racing games (Burnout Legends, Wipeout, ATV) are better than the best racer for the DS (Mario Kart). I found Metroid Prime almost unplayable due to the awkward controls. I loved Animal Crossing until it became more of a chore to play every day than a joy. I still love NSMB -- it's a classic. But overall, I much prefer the PSP library. Maybe that's just me.

As for the original poster's request, I would agree with the DS suggestion : it does have several "casual" games that are fun for messing around with and it's smaller and more durable than a PSP. I can throw my Ds in my pocket and bring it to work -- I would never do that with my PSP. And yes, my 18 mo old PSP did die recently despite very careful use. I would caution anyone thinking of picking up a PSP to definately get the extended warranty
Old 02-23-07, 09:13 AM

i wasn't commenting on the game, as its place with in the genre, with in the market mind you...

I was commenting on how well prepared the title is. I think it raises the bar SO high for a handheld game that nothing I've seen so far can compare with it
Old 02-23-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh, I gotcha. I thought you were saying that it was just the best handheld game in every facet no matter what, etc.
Old 02-23-07, 10:11 AM

nah nah, nothing like that

Im a soul caliber fan personally
Old 02-23-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any other plus or minuses before i take the plunge and buy the PSP? I do have a 360 and don't have either a ps2 or 3. i know there are some things you can do between the systems, so those won't factor in to my decision.
Old 02-23-07, 06:51 PM

Count me in the minority. I bring my PSP everywhere and my DS sits at home. Honestly though, the games get the least time on it. I load the mem stick up with MP3s, movies, TV shows, anime, pictures. I have a cassette adapter in my car and plug the PSP in for muz (I realize the PSP ain't a terriffic MP3 player, but it does the job and I have my Ipod full with podcasts). I also use the decent but pretty slow internet Wifi alot.
I think the PSP will hang around for a while. The PS3 still hasn't integrated it much and I think Sony'll be looking to make them much more connected so people will want to buy both.
Old 02-23-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great suggestion. No way anyone can be mistaken for a "total gamer" using a PSP that way

BTW, I think there's something wrong with your Wii code. Mine kept telling me it wasn't valid.
Old 02-24-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I couldn't live without my PSP. Especially when travelling. Put a couple DVDs on a memory stick, load it up with mp3s. Put up some photos that I want to share show people. Bring my favorite game (Smackdown vs Raw 2006). And I'm set. So I got a game machine, web browser, mp3 player, "dvd" player, and picture viewer all in one machine!
Old 02-24-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I couldn't live without my PSP. Especially when travelling. Put a couple DVDs on a memory stick, load it up with mp3s. Put up some photos that I want to share show people. Bring my favorite game (Smackdown vs Raw 2006). And I'm set. So I got a game machine, web browser, mp3 player, "dvd" player, and picture viewer all in one machine!
so you can put movies from your computer on a memory stick and watch them. what formats does it have to be?
Old 02-24-07, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
so you can put movies from your computer on a memory stick and watch them. what formats does it have to be?
Touchy subject here.. I'm sure the info you want is obtainable at Google. I think the video player abilities of the PSP are very impressive and I've stopped traveling with my DVD player, which is nice since it was so heavy.

And now, the obligitory PSP joke:
I see that nodeerforamonth likes to travel with his favorite game, Smackdown vs Raw 2006. That makes a lot of sense; by the time the game has finished loading, he's often arrived at his destination.
Old 02-25-07, 12:26 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a PSP last month off of ebay and i absolutely love it. the games are great and I love putting movies on my memory stick. great hand held
Old 02-25-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Touchy subject here.. I'm sure the info you want is obtainable at Google. I think the video player abilities of the PSP are very impressive and I've stopped traveling with my DVD player, which is nice since it was so heavy.

And now, the obligitory PSP joke:
I see that nodeerforamonth likes to travel with his favorite game, Smackdown vs Raw 2006. That makes a lot of sense; by the time the game has finished loading, he's often arrived at his destination.
well i was speaking of home movies i have made on my macbook
Old 02-25-07, 12:03 PM

They should work perfectly. I think everything plays off MPG-4 files.