DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   otters... I have NO CLUE about PSP or Nintendo DS but I want one (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/493227-otters-i-have-no-clue-about-psp-nintendo-ds-but-i-want-one.html)

M2theAX 02-21-07 03:54 PM

I have NO CLUE about PSP or Nintendo DS but I want one

any suggestions? likes? dislikes? Pretty much I just want something that I can Fuck off at work with, and not seem like a total gamer.

kvrdave 02-21-07 04:06 PM

DS is for you.

Breakfast with Girls 02-21-07 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by M2theAX
I know this probably belongs in the video game forum

Uh, yeah.

Kittydreamer 02-21-07 04:09 PM

My 9 year old has a DS and loves it. :up: Btw, don't waste your money on new games. Go buy the used ones and save some cash. They work just fine since they're not a disk (they don't get scratched!).

joeblow69 02-21-07 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
My 9 year old has a DS and loves it. :up: Btw, don't waste your money on new games. Go buy the used ones and save some cash. They work just fine since they're not a disk (they don't get scratched!).

That's not always true! I bought a used copy of Kirby's Canvas Curse from EB, and it didn't work! the DS didn't recognize it. (it was a legit copy as far as i could tell). So now when I buy a used game, I have them test it out in store first.

M2theAX 02-21-07 04:24 PM

I have no clue about either system I am just learning that DS can be connected to Wifi. Is there any other obvious capabilities this system has that I am forgetting about?

Kittydreamer 02-21-07 04:34 PM

I have no clue about either system I am just learning that DS can be connected to Wifi. Is there any other obvious capabilities this system has that I am forgetting about?

The DS is easy to use, the games are fun and if you ever get stuck on anything you can just ask your local 9 year old. :D :up:

j123vt_99 02-21-07 04:35 PM

don't we have a forum for exactly this?

UncleGramps 02-21-07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
...and if you ever get stuck on anything you can just ask your local 9 year old. :D :up:

But shave your mustache first or people might get the wrong idea.

milo bloom 02-21-07 07:25 PM

The DS also plays the humongous GBA library that already exists.

Josh H 02-21-07 07:29 PM

DS all the way, cheaper, cheaper games and lots of simple pick up and play games.

Perfect for the casual gamer like yourself.

EdTheRipper 02-21-07 09:35 PM

I bought the DS for my wife for her birthday last year. I think I like it more than she does. The ability to play GBA games on it is great because I can usually find those pretty damn cheap at Wal-Mart.

AGuyNamedMike 02-21-07 10:30 PM

My shiny DS Lite kicks beaucoup ass. Next game on the wish list is Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

PalmerJoss 02-22-07 08:24 AM

Go with the DS, no question. If you want it for quick bursts of gaming then the DS is perfect. The PSP takes a few minutes just to load up a game while the DS takes only a few seconds. And most importantly, the games on the DS are just plain fun.

Hiro11 02-22-07 09:13 AM

The DS Lite is simply awesome. Simple to use, cheap, clean interface, great game library (lots of good DS titles for 20 bucks new).

gimmepilotwings 02-22-07 09:25 AM

If you get the PSP vs. the DS Lite, us otters here will find out where you live, break your PSP, and slap you silly.

KurrptSenate 02-22-07 09:25 AM

either or really

I've gone back and forth as to which one I prefer (currently the psp)

Online gaming is much better on the PSP, as are the graphics, if that matters to ya

gimmepilotwings 02-22-07 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
either or really

I've gone back and forth as to which one I prefer (currently the psp)

Online gaming is much better on the PSP, as are the graphics, if that matters to ya

I can pretty much say with certainty that this opinion, while valid, is in the minority. I owned a PSP, and couldn't get into it. The lack of unique titles is what did the PSP in for me.

With the DS Lite being $70 cheaper than the PSP, you could get anywhere from 2-4 AAA titles on the DS, before you could even get started on the PSP. Combine the fact that you have to purchase a memory card to save games, and you are already way behind the 8-ball.

Oh, and kurrupt, you have mail at CAG.

KurrptSenate 02-22-07 09:32 AM

im blocked from that site while at work

let me send you an email through here

pinata242 02-22-07 09:43 AM

Plus the DS can be closed at any time to suspend play in case, you know, someone walks in while you're rubbin' rabbits.

KurrptSenate 02-22-07 09:47 AM

PSP has a function like that

gimmepilotwings 02-22-07 09:49 AM

kurrpt, can you send me another mail? I saw it in my inbox, and then Yahoo deleted if, after it was unable to read it. I read what you said though.

pinata242 02-22-07 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
PSP has a function like that

I did not know that... I'll amend my statement:

Plus the DS has a quick and satisfying click when you close it at any time to suspend play in case, you know, someone walks in while you're rubbin' rabbits. ;)

KurrptSenate 02-22-07 10:04 AM

email sent

shumway 02-22-07 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
someone walks in while you're rubbin' rabbits. ;)

Is that anything like dunkin' the dolphin? :rimshot: