Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I buy a Xbox 360 now or wait

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Prediction XBOX 360 Premium bundle w/ new 65cm chip, 120 gig and new dvd around $349.99 or less. Possible it come with free game who know. I rather wait for the lastest xbox360 version & worry free. Yes, i had 3 xbox 360 games & no system
Old 02-07-07, 10:40 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id rather have fun gaming now than wait a year or so just to save $50

system breaking is a non issue if you have the insurance/warranty
Old 02-07-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A 360 premium at $349 with a good pack in game would be money next Christmas...especially if Halo 3 meets the hype and Gears of War is a "platinum hits" title.

Sony is pretty much living on brand recognition alone at this point, as I can think of no objective reason to choose their console.

Disclosure...I own neither, but I love my Wii.
Old 02-07-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sid369
As the title suggests. I loved playing video games when I was kid. Remeber the Atari stuff. Its been almost ten years that I have not played any video game. I am a student so I want to make a wise decision here, as money is a concern. I have heard rumors that a new version of the Xbox 360 might be coming at the end of this year, but its not confirmed. Should I wait or should I buy one now. Also if I buy one now and the newer version comes what will I be missing. I know I have waited more than a year, however, now I am getting this urge to get into games again. So any suggestions?
I had the same urge and bought a 360. I have an HDTV and just couldn't resist playing Gears and R6: Vegas on it. Haven't regreted it for a second.

However, if you missed out on the PS2, that would be my suggestion. Some amazing games for cheap and the systems are really affordable. For half the price of a 360 you could buy a PS2 and a few great games. I sold mine about a year ago but am thinking of picking up another.

If the PS2 isn't appealing to you, I'd recommend a Wii. Again, more affordable than a 360 and it doesn't really matter if you have an HDTV or not.

If you have your heart set on a 360, I'd wait for a price drop AND the purchase of an HDTV. I know many love playing their 360s on standard TVs, but the image quality of games on HD is breathtaking.
Old 02-07-07, 11:14 AM

If you really wanted it now, you wouldn't be asking for advice. It would already be under your tv. So I fall back to my my standard answer... if you have to ask others if you should buy something, the answer is always, "No!"

There's no shortage of 360s. There's no chance of the price going up. There's no must-have game that you won't be able to track down later. And, at some point, everything involving price drops and redesigns will become clear.

Or before that happens, you'll come to the conclusion that it's worth it to have it immediately. And if that happens, you won't have these nagging doubts when you head to the checkout, so you'll be more satisfied.
Old 02-07-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
There's no must-have game that you won't be able to track down later.
Unless you want in on the Halo 3 beta...
Old 02-07-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Id get one right away. Theres tons of value to get out of it.

Pros:
1 HD gaming goodness
2 Great game catalog
3 Get in on the online gaming nights with the rest of us--instant friends/rivals

cons:
1 Overheating? With a warranty you can get a new xbox in a few weeks. (comes with 1yr already)
2 New chip coming out? If your xbox works fine then who cares. If not see #1

I think its funny/sad that nobody is even considering the ps3
Not true... i'm considering the PS3. Right now, i'm trying to score a PS3 from Amazon (missed it, don't wanna pay taxes).

I'll wait for the new X360... The reduced heat fix is a must in my book, so, i'll definitely get the new one.

Like someone else said, if you have been waiting this long, then just wait

Of course, if you have nothing to play at the moment, it's a different story. If you're a gamer, i doubt you have nothing to play at the moment (unless you got tons of free times on your hands).
Old 02-07-07, 12:05 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If you're so worried that your xbox will break dont get one. Dont even count on a 'new chip' because theres 100's of other things to worry about since they dont even say they're releasing a new chip or even a 'heat fix'. Dont bother, get a wii. OR do what other people do, get a warranty and ignore any heat problems.

If you get a PS3 plan on spending most of the time playing bluray movies until better games come out. And dont plan on doing anything online with it. Thats something that people should wait for.
Old 02-07-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you get a PS3 plan on spending most of the time playing bluray movies until better games come out. And dont plan on doing anything online with it. Thats something that people should wait for.
...or, and this is just a thought, he could play the massive PS2 library on it.
Old 02-07-07, 01:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

i thought there were still backwards compatability problems?

either way it might be more convenient to get a ps2
Old 02-07-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i thought there were still backwards compatability problems?

either way it might be more convenient to get a ps2
Agreed...but one could make the argument that just buying a PS3 would save you $129 in the long run...if you wanted to go the PS route.
Old 02-07-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Yeah but no Guitar Hero (PS2) on the PS3 = no sale.

I just want my 65nm, I agree w/ the "Buy it with the Best Buy Replacement Plan", that should work swimmingly.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-07-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 02:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And PS2 games look like shit on the PS3 (unless there's been an update I"m not aware of to fix that problem).
Old 02-07-07, 02:09 PM
Retired

Id rather have fun gaming now than wait a year or so just to save $50
I agree for the person who has no other current consoles to play in the mean time (i.e. they only have an Xbox which is getting no new games).

But if the person has a Wii, PS2, DS, PC etc. then they can have plenty of fun gaming before then and save the money.

Obviously the current 360 library isn't that appetizing to people who don't have one or they would have jumped on ship before now and not have to ask for opinions.
Old 02-07-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
And PS2 games look like shit on the PS3 (unless there's been an update I"m not aware of to fix that problem).
there was.

Obviously the current 360 library isn't that appetizing to people who don't have one or they would have jumped on ship before now and not have to ask for opinions.
Not entirely true. I'm sure there were a LOT of people waiting to see what the PS3 had to offer. And now that Sony has stumbled to the next-gen table those that were waiting are curious about the other offerings.
Old 02-07-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There has been.
Old 02-07-07, 02:39 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not entirely true. I'm sure there were a LOT of people waiting to see what the PS3 had to offer. And now that Sony has stumbled to the next-gen table those that were waiting are curious about the other offerings.
Fair point.

I was kind of in that boat. Both are priced out of my budget for gaming, but I want to pick up something to complement the Wii after some price drops as it looks like the Wii is going to gather a lot of dust between killer games just like the GC for me.

PS3 was the logical choice since the PS2 had such a killer game library and my X-box gathered a lot of dust, but that looks like is going shift this gen.

But at the same time some of the games I loved on the PS2 are likely to stay on the PS3 (Ratchet, Sly Cooper, Final Fantasy main games, God of War, Gran Turismo etc.) and the 360 thus far is the same as the X-box with only a couple of exclusives that interest me thus far.

Thus I'll just keep waiting for some price drops and see how the game libraries on the 360 and PS3 pan out.
Old 02-07-07, 02:41 PM

Wow, those were some responses. I don't know what to say, but I feel like an idiot amongst you guys. i don't know anything about games as much as you guys do. I am an not an american and its only been a year since I have been here, So its difficult for me to keep up as much as you guys do. I knew that there wre playstaion 2 and the xbox whixh could be had for a less price but really did not understand the difference between them and why one woudl be better than the other. Then now I am begining to understand that even games are made exclusively for seperate consoles.

I used to play contra, mario and all that stuff when I was a kid. But I did not have many choices then as games were not readily available to me in my country back then.

I like the idea that you can play online games with Xbox live and also watch media and all that stuff, Also my reason for leaning towards Xbox 360 is simply becuase there are mor games I believ for xbox 360 than any other consoles. i may be completely wrong here.
Old 02-07-07, 02:48 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by sid369
Also my reason for leaning towards Xbox 360 is simply becuase there are mor games I believ for xbox 360 than any other consoles. i may be completely wrong here.
There are tons more than on the Wii or PS3 since those just came out in November and they 360 has been out since Nov 2005.

The PS2 and X-box will have more games since they have been around 6 and 5 years respectively, but there aren't any new X-box games coming out and not a ton of PS2 games (though there are still good ones coming like God of War 2, a Guitar Hero expansion etc.).
Old 02-07-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're so worried that your xbox will break dont get one. Dont even count on a 'new chip' because theres 100's of other things to worry about since they dont even say they're releasing a new chip or even a 'heat fix'. Dont bother, get a wii. OR do what other people do, get a warranty and ignore any heat problems.

Dude, i want the new X360 b/c of reduced power consumption, not b/c the inaccurate heating problem reported by many. Also, since i'm already late in the game, why not wait?

PS3 for BR, beat your a$$ that's true. Already got the remote for $20 and two BR movies (B1G1 free). I got 3 used PS3 games on the way (total of $110), MUA, CoD3 and Resistance. For the price i paid, i can't complain.

Online gaming is not my style, i don't like to get my butt kicked and i care less chatting online. The only online games i play are chess, go, etc... you know, not exactly "video game" game.

Yeap, different gamer different style. So, as you can see, the X360 doesn't really fit my style. So, my waiting is justified, i'm sure another gamer share the same view...
Old 02-07-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chess
Agreed...but one could make the argument that just buying a PS3 would save you $129 in the long run...if you wanted to go the PS route.

Ding ding ding, my thought exactly!

at first i was worried that i might kill the life of PS3 playing PS2 games, but after hooking up the Wii, i changed my prespective completely.

1. I got no space under the DLP's stand!
2. I'm running out of component connections
3. My GameCube is still connected via composite, but i haven't turn it on since... Well, the Wii does what a GC does, so what's the point? Not to mention the Wii is connected via component.
4. The product will last till the next model under reasonable usage.
5. Buying a PS2 (the old one died) is another $129, why not count that toward the PS3? Kinda related to #1
Old 02-07-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree for the person who has no other current consoles to play in the mean time (i.e. they only have an Xbox which is getting no new games).

But if the person has a Wii, PS2, DS, PC etc. then they can have plenty of fun gaming before then and save the money.

Ditto!

Let's see... i got a DS, Wii, PSP, PC (PS2 died, so it doens't count) and heading for PS3 (mainly for BR). So, i'm busy...
Old 02-07-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
there was.

Dude, agree with you on the PS3... Yes, for the millionth time, the PS3 is expensive. However, if you're in the market for a BR player, you got nothing to *itch about, really! $500 for BR player, so that makes the PS3 $100 (60gb model). Yes, for the millionth time, the library of PS3 games sucks, but it's not gonna stay like that. When i heard about the Japanese Railfan game for the PS3, i'm impressed! Why? Games like that is fun (think Wii) and look great (don't think about Wii)!
Old 02-07-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Dude you could be playing Blue Dragon!!
Language barrier is too much for me atm, and I need stories with my rpgs . I have been keeping an eye on the 360 premium packs around here hoping for an abnormal discount, but most of them have stuck to retail price.

I did buy Tales of Tempest DS to muck around on, but that was just a cheap 2nd hand purchase.
Old 02-07-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well i personally believe that the PS3 is a better machine than the 360.
Is it really that much better? I read somewhere recently that a developer was saying the 360's unified memory architecture made creating expansive environments easier than on the ps3. Apart from Blueray, and once you go past the cell hype machine, I don't really see a lot about the ps3 that makes it necessarily more powerful than 360.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.