Old 02-05-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Trace Memory, it's certainly worth $10
Old 02-05-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
Twenty replies and nobody said Elite Beat Agents?!?

That borders on shameful.
You can't play it without sound though, which was one of OP's requirements.
Old 02-05-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm enjoying Final Fantasy III right now. Sure it is a retro-fit from the original, but it is new to me. Doesn't really use the stylus, but the storyline is tried and true and the graphics are awesome.

Clubhouse Games and Brain Age are also great. Clubhouse Games is great for a "commute game" since the rounds are all pretty short.

Online games, Animal Crossing is really fun if you can find some folks on the forum here to visit/play with. I need to set up my old DS to be online again so my town can be open 24/7! I bet my town is covered in weeds by now.
Old 02-05-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Exactly. That is why XX/XY hasn't gotten much playtime since i play in the bedroom while the wife is sleeping. The minigame in XX/XY where you are screaming at the screen to get the girl's attention wouldn't go over too well. That is the same reason i have avoided Nintendogs.
Old 02-05-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Are headphones not an option?

---

I've had my DS Lite for about a month now, and only have NSMB, Brain Age, and Clubhouse Games so far, and had a lot of fun with all three of them. I've probably played Brain Age the most--I've found the Sudoku mode most addictive.

Candidates to pick up next: Mario Kart, Tetris DS, Big Brain Academy, Metroid Prime Hunters, Hotel Dusk, and maybe Animal Crossing. . .

Last edited by Matt; 02-05-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 09:15 AM

Oops. Somehow that 'no sound' paragraph didn't even register with me; perhaps I skimmed it too fast to get to the replies. I should have realized there was a reason EBA wasn't listed.

Answering without understanding the question 100% borders on shameful.
Old 02-05-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MWB
Are headphones not an option?

---

I've had my DS Lite for about a month now, and only have NSMB, Brain Age, and Clubhouse Games so far, and had a lot of fun with all three of them. I've probably played Brain Age the most--I've found the Sudoku mode most addictive.

Candidates to pick up next: Mario Kart, Tetris DS, Big Brain Academy, Metroid Prime Hunters, Hotel Dusk, and maybe Animal Crossing. . .
For some reason i thought you needed something special to use headphones with a DS. Headphones would work great though - i sometimes catch up on podcasts in bed with the headphones on the mp3 player.
Old 02-05-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
For some reason i thought you needed something special to use headphones with a DS. Headphones would work great though - i sometimes catch up on podcasts in bed with the headphones on the mp3 player.
No, Sir; the GBA:SP required a headphone adapter, but the DS Lite does not. I've plugged my white Apple earbuds, as well as another pair of earbuds into mine, with no problem. They sound great.
Old 02-05-07, 10:20 AM
Retired

But of course headphones won't get around the parts of the game that require you to use the microphone.

By the way, you can just blow on it rather than scream.
Old 02-05-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah but that is like playing a game on the Wii and not making dramatic gestures. The absurdity of the situation is what makes it fun.
Old 02-05-07, 10:29 AM
Retired

I guess. The absurdity of it had it up on the trade forum after a day for me.
Old 02-21-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I second Elite Beat Agents, one of my favorite games I've played on the DS. NSMB, Metroid Hunters, Castlevania:PoR, Brain Age and MKS are all up there as well.

Question for everyone: why can't I find Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow ANYWHERE? Best Buy, Gamestop, EB Games, Circuit City... no where. I recently beat PoR and really want DoS since I never played.
Old 02-21-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because I'm a weird guy, I was looking into your question and found that the GameCrazy in Southfield:

GameCrazy - 29080 SOUTHFIELD RD, SOUTHFIELD, MI 48076-1903 (248)552-7323

Just confirmed on the phone to me that they have 1 new copy, though, it is 34.99, so, no deals there.
Old 02-21-07, 01:04 PM

well, after they released portrait of ruin, the demand for dawn of sorrow dropped considerably.

They probably won't reprint that game anytime soon, so you most likely won't find a "new" copy anywhere

just buy it used
Old 02-21-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Which is a shame, I liked Dawn much more than Portrait.
Old 02-21-07, 01:22 PM

eh, they were so unbelievably similar. I guess if you were into the soul stealing, it would make a lot of sense
Old 02-21-07, 01:24 PM
Retired

I liked Portrait a little more.

The paints led to some more varied environments and the two character design also freshened up a stale series at least a little bit. Sisters mode was also fun, and the only extra mode in any of the Metroidvanias I've played all the way through.
Old 02-21-07, 01:25 PM

the online co-op mode is pretty darn fun. I think that easily pushed it over the top for me
Old 02-21-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
I'm about 60% through Hotel Dusk now and if you/anyone is a fan of old school adventure games, it is a must play. The only drawback I have with it is the amount of reading vs. adventuring.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem picking up a good book, but the adventure part is so good, I just want more of that than reading. It's also not very difficult if adventure games ever gave you problems. Very straight forward, almost too much.
Old 02-21-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really looking forward to playing Hotel Dusk. I had heard it is kind of a sequel to Trace Memory - should i finish TM first?
Old 02-21-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up Elite Beat Agents from all the good reviews and I found it kinda boring. I will play some more of it before deciding if I want to get rid of it, but I'm not sure I understand the love for it.

And I do understand the fun of pushing buttons to a beat being fun -- it's just the more successful games in this genre (Guitar Hero, DDR, even Parappa!) have more challenges and nuances than EBA.

The only thing I own right now is:
EBA
Brain Age
Tetris

I like Brain Age and Tetris. I've played New Super Mario and Mario Kart and would buy both of those if I had the extra cash.
Old 02-21-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
imo, EBA is a bit weak until you get to the last few stages, and even then it doesn't really take off til the hard difficulty is opened. (Think Guitar Hero on Easy and Medium vs. Guitar Hero on Hard/Expert).
Old 02-21-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I'm really looking forward to playing Hotel Dusk. I had heard it is kind of a sequel to Trace Memory - should i finish TM first?
Never played it. I don't think it is a direct sequel though, more of a spiritual sequel. And from what I read, HD is a far superior game.
Old 02-21-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 687 Posts
I recently got True Swing Golf and really love it. Swinging with the stylus gives a usually stale golf game a fresh face and the graphics, sound, and courses are all well done. I hate golf in real life but love playing it on video games...weird, huh? This is by far my favorite golf video game so far on any system. It is a great time waster and you can pick it up, play a few rounds, save, and go back to it later.

I got Meteos the other day and wasn't too imressed with it despite all the rave reviews and people recommending it. It just seemed like a different form of Tetris which of course is the standard.
Old 02-21-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

I got Meteos the other day and wasn't too imressed with it despite all the rave reviews and people recommending it. It just seemed like a different form of Tetris which of course is the standard.
I didn't at first either. I kept the demo on my DS a week and it probably took that long for me to get into it. Once I did I liked it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.