Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC gaming dead, for real this time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: PC gaming dead, for real this time?

Originally Posted by Mordred
Just curious how much that ran you? It's a nice looking system at least.

I prefer to build my own rigs (mainly not for gaming these days) and will probably be doing an i7 920 in the next few months. Amazing what you can build for $600 these days.
$1200. The thing is that i've heard its non upgradeable. I thought all pc's can be upgraded??? Not a big concern since I probably wont upgrade it for quite some time. Plus I've never built a pc so i'm very afraid of breaking something. Is it really that easy to do? If so, are there video guides, books to guide one through the process?
Old 04-12-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is that easy as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and can follow directions. Or do like I did root around and break stuff until I learned where everything went.
Old 04-12-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
$1200. The thing is that i've heard its non upgradeable. I thought all pc's can be upgraded??? Not a big concern since I probably wont upgrade it for quite some time. Plus I've never built a pc so i'm very afraid of breaking something. Is it really that easy to do? If so, are there video guides, books to guide one through the process?
It can probably be upgraded, but your biggest hurdle will be the form factor. It looks like the 9800S is a graphics card specially made for small form factors.

EDIT: It looks like it uses an MXM graphics card which is essentially an upgradeable notebook graphics card. The problem is, there isn't much of an aftermarket for these cards yet, so although you can upgrade it might not be easy.

Now that you've got a gaming pc, keep an eye out for the STEAM weekend deals and gogamer.com sales. You'll be able to pick up a lot of cheap pc games you've missed out on.

Last edited by msdmoney; 04-12-09 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msdmoney
It can probably be upgraded, but your biggest hurdle will be the form factor. It looks like the 9800S is a graphics card specially made for small form factors.

EDIT: It looks like it uses an MXM graphics card which is essentially an upgradeable notebook graphics card. The problem is, there isn't much of an aftermarket for these cards yet, so although you can upgrade it might not be easy.

Now that you've got a gaming pc, keep an eye out for the STEAM weekend deals and gogamer.com sales. You'll be able to pick up a lot of cheap pc games you've missed out on.
Do people post on here when Steam runs sales?
Old 04-12-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an older game, but if you like dungeon crawlers, superheroes, or just great game at all -- you might want to check out Freedom Force. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had with a video game.
Old 04-12-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Do people post on here when Steam runs sales?
No but they run a sale every weekend. I make it a point to check every weekend because the sales are so good. Bioshock and STALKER for $5 each, are just a couple examples.