Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii - Part Thrii

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 10:14 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gromit
I hold the power button to turn it off too. Is that not 'standby mode'? Are others just leaving it on (green light)?
Yeah, just tapping the power button on the console or Wiimote puts it in standby with Wiiconnect24 on (unless you have Wiiconnect24 turned off in the system options).

Holding the button down on the console it goes to red light which is basically still standby, but Wiiconnect24 is off. It's just in standby so it can be turned on with the Wiimote basically.
Old 01-23-07, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wii - Part Thrii
Nice title change.
Old 01-23-07, 10:47 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...s&subj=6164529

Tougher third Wii strap released?

The official story: Nintendo had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

What we heard: Earlier this month, the mainstream media was rife with reports of wrist straps for the so-called "Wiimote" being snapped en masse. In dozens of alleged incidents, the motion-sensing controllers slipped from overeager players' sweaty hands with such force that the safety wrist straps snapped. The resulting injuries and broken televisions led to the inevitable legal action and parody T-shirts.

Following an investigation, Nintendo offered to replace any broken controller straps with a new, supposedly more robust version. Now, according to reports from two popular Nintendo blogs, the company has released a third, even sturdier controller strap to prevent any more potentially litigious mishaps.

Nintendo's silence makes it difficult to officially determine whether or not a third Wii Remote strap was even released. Pictures on both blogs, though, show a new strap with a thicker cord that ties to the controller. The adjustable loop, attached with a rounder plastic clasp, is even smaller than that of the second strap, which was reportedly one-third the length of the original's.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus--hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Posted by thorsen-ink, Jan 22, 2007 4:00 pm PT
Chris
Old 01-23-07, 11:21 AM

Amazon has them in stock

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...170485-5811955

Mod's please fix any referrals.

Chris
Old 01-23-07, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I usually hold down the power button to turn it off though, as the Wii stays too warm with it on for my tastes. Makes me a bit nervous and I don't like wasting the power (though I'm sure it's pretty negligible--think I read 8 watts somewhere).
You should check your system. I leave mine on WiiConnect 24 and haven't had any problems. I also accidentally left the unit on for 9 hours the other day which freaked me out but when I touched the system it was completely cool...

Hearing everyone's reviews of Excite Truck I might have to check it out. I didn't know it had a custom soundtrack feature...

Lately i've been playing Metal Slug Anthology (great game though kind of short) and Trauma Center...
Old 01-23-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Nice title change.
I purposely didn't do it - someone else must've.
Old 01-23-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At least you can admit that you weren't clever enough to think of it.
Old 01-23-07, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
At least you can admit that you weren't clever enough to think of it.
So, you're saying you are?

Chris
Old 01-23-07, 12:53 PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=12496

January 23, 2007

Nintendo, Six Flags Partner For Wii Game Stations

Nintendo of America officials have announced a marketing partnership with national theme park chain Six Flags which named the Wii as the Official Gaming Console of Six Flags amusement parks.

As part of this new agreement, Nintendo will introduce complimentary Wii video game stations throughout select Six Flags amusement parks. In addition, the companies will collaborate on marketing initiatives, including a national sweepstakes promotion for Six Flags on Nintendo's official website.

The Wii officially launched in North America on November 19, and the most recent statistics released by NPD found that the console sold through over 1 million units in the 44 days between its U.S launch and the close of 2006. Nintendo has also remained steadfast in its plan to ship 6 million units of the Wii console worldwide before the end of the fiscal year March 31st, 2007.

“This agreement with Nintendo enables us to partner with a company, and a product, that has major relevance in the lives of today's families,” commented Mark Shapiro, Six Flags president and CEO. “When this audience is not in our parks, more often than not they are at home playing video games - and now they can do both in one place as we continue to build Six Flags into a supermarket of entertainment.”

Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan added: “We look forward to continuing to build the Wii's leadership position in video gaming by making the system available to millions of guests who visit Six Flags every year. The Wii system is dedicated to reaching a broad audience, and we look forward to sharing the ultimate gaming system with Six Flags guests beginning in 2007.”

POSTED: 08.07AM PST, 01/23/07 - Jason Dobson

So a struggling theme park company (Six Flags), latches on to the most popular gaming system (at this time). Pretty smart!

Chris
Old 01-23-07, 01:22 PM

Yeah Sure but I don't have the ability to change people's posts.
Old 01-23-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I DID think about it. But ultimately decided that the rhyme itself was clever enough and didn't require the easy tweak to use the ii
Old 01-23-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Ignore the doors. Whack the bunnys right in the stomach.
Yeah, that makes that game much more manageable... I still hate that damned snorkel one, though... I had to have a second person shake the nunchuk for me while I aimed.
Old 01-23-07, 02:48 PM

thats my girls favorite game...

her nunchuk hand looks rather comical when playing that game

_>
Old 01-23-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, just tapping the power button on the console or Wiimote puts it in standby with Wiiconnect24 on (unless you have Wiiconnect24 turned off in the system options).

Holding the button down on the console it goes to red light which is basically still standby, but Wiiconnect24 is off. It's just in standby so it can be turned on with the Wiimote basically.

Thank you, I was wondering why sometimes I was getting weather updates and sometimes I wasn't. It's the length of time on the button push, must have missed this in the manual.
Old 01-23-07, 04:09 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164589...s&subj=6164589

Nintendo lays out Q1 Wii slate

A dozen more games expected to arrive on store shelves through March, Mario Kart 64 powerslides onto VC next week.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Jan 23, 2007 1:22 pm PT

With WarioWare: Smooth Moves standing as the sole retail Wii release since the middle of December, owners of the new system may foster worries of a post-launch drought of new games. However, those same owners may find comfort today, as Nintendo has released a slate of a dozen Wii games scheduled for release by the end of March.

While the Nintendo faithful will have to endure a few dry weeks (Wii Play with Wii Remote is the only release before March), a number of high-profile franchises are set to hit the system by the end of the quarter. Ubisoft is down for bringing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Prince of Persia series to the Wii, while Sega is ready to offer gamers Sonic and the Secret Rings. Electronic Arts is also bringing some famous faces to the system in the form of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, SSX Blur, The Godather: Blackhand Edition, and Medal of Honor: Vanguard.

However, this list may not be comprehensive. Earlier today, Ubisoft released a list of its own expected first quarter releases as part of its financial earnings statement, and that list indicated Driver: Parallel Lines for the Wii would also make it to store shelves in the first quarter. A Nintendo representative had not returned request for comment as of press time, but an Ubisoft spokesperson reiterated that the game will be released before the end of March.

There's also the matter of Virtual Console games. Sega has already committed to bringing five more titles to the downloadable service in the first quarter, and Nintendo said it will bring Mario Kart 64 to the Virtual Console "next week." Nintendo has said that Monday would be the launch day for downloadable games on its digital distribution service, but in the past exceptions have been made.

Nintendo's full list of expected first quarter retail releases follows below:

February 14--Wii Play with Wii Remote--Nintendo
March 27--Disney's Meet the Robinsons--Buena Vista
March--Bust-A-Move Bash--Majesco
March--Prince of Persia Rival Swords--Ubisoft
March--TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)--Ubisoft
March--Bionicle Heroes--Eidos
March--Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII--Ubisoft
Q1--Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07--EA
Q1--SSX Blur--EA
Q1--The Godfather Blackhand Edition--EA
Q1--Medal of Honor Vanguard--EA
Q1--Sonic and the Secret Rings--Sega

Chris
Old 01-23-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I notice Mario Party 8 is missing from that list. Hope that doesn't affect my TRU pre-order beyond normal delay...
Old 01-23-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, that makes that game much more manageable... I still hate that damned snorkel one, though... I had to have a second person shake the nunchuk for me while I aimed.
I swap hands for that one...aim with my left and shake with my right...turns out my right hand is much more adept at that quick pumping motion...um...for some reason.
Old 01-23-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like I have to send my Wii in for repair.

The drive appears to be dead. Wii Sports is in the drive and it won't recognize it and I can't eject it.
Old 01-23-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's because of my WiiConnect24 on all the time that I now have 110 Mii's in my Mii Parade area!
Old 01-23-07, 04:22 PM

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-...1b2-49-en.html

Shipping today: Datel's WiFi MAX for Nintendo Wii™
Internet gaming through any internet-enabled PC

From the manufacturer: Take your consoles online – wirelessly…

So you have a Nintendo Wii or an NDS (original or Lite). If you're lucky, you have both! You also have a broadband internet connection for your PC. But you don't have a wireless network. What's the easiest, cheapest way to take your consoles online and compete with gamers from all over the world? Simple – WiFi MAX for Nintendo Wii and DS/DS Lite!

WiFi MAX is your ticket to the exciting world of online gaming, and it couldn't be simpler to use. Just plug your USB WiFi dongle into your internet-enabled PC to create a Wireless Access Point. You can then connect to the internet and play online-enabled multiplayer games with DS and Wii gamers from all over the world. Just the thing if you don't have a wireless router! Best of all, WiFi MAX supports up to five ‘local' DS gamers at a time, so you and your mates can all play online at once with no loss of speed!

Don't forget, there's more to the Nintendo Wii's online service than playing games. You can also download additional material such as new levels, skins, artwork and even retro games! That's right – Nintendo is gradually making its back-catalogue classics for old Nintendo machines such as the NES, SNES and N64 available to Wii owners through the Virtual Arcade service. And with WiFi MAX, you can download them through your broadband internet connection! Just think what you'll be missing out on if you don't take your Wii online…

As WiFi MAX operates on the Wireless G standard, it's five times faster than an ordinary WiFi connection, and if you use our USB cable and dongle stand (supplied), you can position your dongle to maximise WiFi range. If you have other WiFi-enabled devices capable of using the internet, such as laptops or PDAs, you can take them online with WiFi MAX too. It's the ultimate device for internet surfing without a WiFi router!

Datel's WiFi MAX for Nintendo Wii™ is shipping today at US$ 34.90 only. Also still available is the WiFi MAX for Nintendo DS™ (currently on promotion at US$ 24.50 only) and for Sony PSP™.

Product features:

Download new content and Virtual Arcade material on your Wii.

Internet gaming through any internet-enabled PC.

No cables necessary – make a wireless connection.

Five times faster than standard WiFi.

Suppled with software CD and WiFi dongle, and also a USB cable and stand for optimal positioning.

Compatible with all Wii and NDS internet-enabled games.

So, depending on if I have problems connecting the Wii to my wireless receiver (my XBox 360 works fine on it), this may be another option.

Chris
Old 01-23-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
So, depending on if I have problems connecting the Wii to my wireless receiver (my XBox 360 works fine on it), this may be another option.

Chris
I'd probably buy the Nintendo one over that. I got mine for about $25 shipped on ebay...or you could use the $10 off $40 Best Buy coupon that's floating around to get it for $30.
Old 01-23-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very excited for Mario Kart 64 on VC next week. The battle mode is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever.
Old 01-23-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone use the Wii S-Video cables? I'm wondering how the video quality is with those, instead of the composite on an HDTV. I'd use component, but don't have any more inputs and don't feel like getting a switch.
Old 01-23-07, 05:39 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Zodo
Does anyone use the Wii S-Video cables? I'm wondering how the video quality is with those, instead of the composite on an HDTV. I'd use component, but don't have any more inputs and don't feel like getting a switch.
I have the react ones and they made the picture much better than the composites.

I didn't bother with components for the same reason, mine are taken by my DVD player, and there's really no jump from s-video to component on a 27" standard def TV anyway so a switcher wasn't worth the investment.
Old 01-23-07, 06:24 PM

Okay, I'm a Wii N00B.

Is there a website that lists all Wii games, along with which controllers you use for the game and how many you would need? I'm having my first Wii Party on Saturday and if I need a couple of xtra controllers (I will have 2 of each), I can probably find them at Best Buy or Circuit City (I hope).

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.