Reload this Page >

Question about Wii graphics:

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-20-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry if this has been covered already, but I was just curious about the Wii's graphics. How bad are they?

I have been getting more and more interested in possibly purchasing one (when I can), the only thing I am hesitatnt about is I am a little worried that the graphics will let me down some. I understand that it is not supposed to compete with the other consoles in this department, but are they worse than an original Xbox's graphics, are they about the same, or better?

Thanks for the advice guys, an in case it helps, I have a 55 inch rptv.
Old 01-20-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are no worse than the Xbox, and future games will be even better.
Old 01-20-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Are you a graphics whore? Do you prefer shiny things to fun things?

Technically SuperBatMan is right, but so far there is no game to prove this. Zelda is hands down the best looking game, but it is a Gamecube game. There were no graphical enhancements for the Wii.

Right now the majority of the games are average looking just do to the games themselves? Monkey Ball, Rayman, WiiSports, etc. are all designed to look the way they do, they aren't meant to be superrealistic type games.

I just bought Excite Truck and the graphics are decent. I wouldn't say on par with Xbox, but damned it if it isn't so fun you immediately forget about it.

So it is a matter of the type of game, and most of what you see for the Wii are the 'fun' oriented games where graphics aren't the focus to begin with. Down the line though with Metroid Prime and hopefully some third parties, they should push the limits.

What it all boils down to: if you are a graphics whore and nothing but the best is worthy of your time, then you will be disappointed. If you like playing games to have fun, then the Wii is your system.
Old 01-20-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Monster 4 x 4 and Red Steel look like N64 games to me.
Old 01-20-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you a graphics whore? Do you prefer shiny things to fun things?

Technically SuperBatMan is right, but so far there is no game to prove this. Zelda is hands down the best looking game, but it is a Gamecube game. There were no graphical enhancements for the Wii.

Right now the majority of the games are average looking just do to the games themselves? Monkey Ball, Rayman, WiiSports, etc. are all designed to look the way they do, they aren't meant to be superrealistic type games.

I just bought Excite Truck and the graphics are decent. I wouldn't say on par with Xbox, but damned it if it isn't so fun you immediately forget about it.

So it is a matter of the type of game, and most of what you see for the Wii are the 'fun' oriented games where graphics aren't the focus to begin with. Down the line though with Metroid Prime and hopefully some third parties, they should push the limits.

What it all boils down to: if you are a graphics whore and nothing but the best is worthy of your time, then you will be disappointed. If you like playing games to have fun, then the Wii is your system.
These are good points. I think I used to be moe of a graphics whore. Now I am not so sure. My friend has the 360 and I play Gears of War on his HDTV with him and it looks stunning. However, I can't help but feel a little a little let down, and I am not sure why. Maybe it is that it gets to a point where the improvements in the graphics stop mattering so much, or maybe my tastes have changed.

I am definitely looking for something more "fun" oriented and something that might get my wife to play and have fun too. I am certainly not a big time gamer or anything. The games I played the most on my Xbox were theMadden and Tony Hawk's series. So, I probably will be getting those if I get the Wii.

The Wii hype has gotten too me and it does seem like it would be a ton of fun...anyway, that is where my thinking is at right now. I just finshed up my graduate degree and now I would like to treat myself with a little bit of regressing and fun
Old 01-20-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dave-o
How bad are they?
This right here is your hang-up. Change your mindset because you've already convinced yourself that they can't possibly be good. Accept them for what they are. Mario and Miis don't need to be HD to have "good graphics".
Old 01-20-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I play on my wall, it's like 130" or so and it looks great. Not HD great, but with 480p I was pretty impressed with Zelda and Call of Duty 3. Don't expect amazing, but it's certainly not crap...
Old 01-20-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Demontooth
Monster 4 x 4 and Red Steel look like N64 games to me.
You haven't played an N64 game in a long time then.
Old 01-20-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As of right now, they are Gamecube quality and I doubt they ever get much past that. You may see Xbox quality eventually, but that isn't exactly a big feat.

With that said, if you're all about the graphics you'll be dissapointed. The Wii is not meant to be a graphics powerhouse, the idea is make an affordable console that gets EVERYONE into gaming.
Old 01-20-07, 01:33 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep Gamecube quality, with maybe the potential to look like the best X-box 1 games at the most.

Doesn't bother me much, but I'd recommend any graphics whores to steer clear of the system and pick up a 360. The Wii will never have anything that looks as good as even the crappiest looking 360 or PS3 games.
Old 01-20-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I play on my wall, it's like 130" or so and it looks great. Not HD great, but with 480p I was pretty impressed with Zelda and Call of Duty 3. Don't expect amazing, but it's certainly not crap...
I play on a 122" and better graphics are not a big deal to me. Mainly because Halo 2 will nearly make me throw up from motion sickness.
Old 01-20-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I play on a 122" and better graphics are not a big deal to me. Mainly because Halo 2 will nearly make me throw up from motion sickness.
Yeah, I get a bit disoriented with some games (Metroid Prime 2). I just can't handle it when it's that big...
Old 01-20-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I just can't handle it when it's that big...
That's what she said!
Old 01-20-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-20-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep Gamecube quality, with maybe the potential to look like the best X-box 1 games at the most.
I still find Xbox1 graphics impressive. If they can release Wii games that look as good as Ninja Gaiden then the console will be as good as it ever needs to be in standard definition. I thought Zelda looked great and I only played it on the Cube. We will see a lot of Wii games like Wario Ware that don't require much in the way of graphics anyway.
Old 01-20-07, 06:10 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by darkside
I still find Xbox1 graphics impressive. If they can release Wii games that look as good as Ninja Gaiden then the console will be as good as it ever needs to be in standard definition. I thought Zelda looked great and I only played it on the Cube. We will see a lot of Wii games like Wario Ware that don't require much in the way of graphics anyway.
Yep, like I said, I'm fine with it.

But people that want games that look as good as Gears of War will be disappointed as the Wii won't be able to approach those kind of graphics.
Old 01-21-07, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Still, a large part of the xbox ownership were the so called graphics whores, those that demand better graphics from their consoles. The type of people who bought an xbox instead of a ps2 (or as well as a ps2) just because it was perceived to be more powerful. So there was always a driving force for games to look good on the xbox.

However, when 90% of wii owners are perfectly happy with a game looking like wii sports, then I really can't see where the driving force is for developers to spend the extra money and effort to make games of Ninja Gaiden, or Halo 2 graphics calibre. Where's the incentive? Even the graphics whores who actually have wiis would also have a 360/ps3 so I can't see them beating the doors of nintendo down for better graphics.
Old 01-21-07, 04:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D

However, when 90% of wii owners are perfectly happy with a game looking like wii sports, then I really can't see where the driving force is for developers to spend the extra money and effort to make games of Ninja Gaiden, or Halo 2 graphics calibre. Where's the incentive? Even the graphics whores who actually have wiis would also have a 360/ps3 so I can't see them beating the doors of nintendo down for better graphics.
Actually, I think this is for the better instead of the worse. Without the pressure to constantly outdo the last best game graphically, the developers can actually focus on making graphics that best complement the style of the game, instead of trying to make them hyper-real.
Old 01-21-07, 10:01 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually, I think this is for the better instead of the worse. Without the pressure to constantly outdo the last best game graphically, the developers can actually focus on making graphics that best complement the style of the game, instead of trying to make them hyper-real.
Agreed. As well as forcing them to spend more time making the gameplay fun and innovative rather than tweaking the graphics engine to make the game look as good as possible as the first priority.
Old 01-21-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, like I said, I'm fine with it.

But people that want games that look as good as Gears of War will be disappointed as the Wii won't be able to approach those kind of graphics.
And the vaster number of people that want games that are as fun as Wii Sports or Warioware will be disappointed as Gears of War won't be able to approach those kind of fun play mechanics.
Old 01-21-07, 01:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed. As well as forcing them to spend more time making the gameplay fun and innovative rather than tweaking the graphics engine to make the game look as good as possible as the first priority.
Yes, The whole arrangement puts the focus squarely on the creative quality of the game, a focus sorely lacking in today's gaming marketplace.
Old 01-21-07, 01:04 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by drmoze
And the vaster number of people that want games that are as fun as Wii Sports or Warioware will be disappointed as Gears of War won't be able to approach those kind of fun play mechanics.
I'm assuming you mean simple and fun, because Gears of War is a fuck of a lot of fun to play (especially coop) and I'm not generally a big fan of shooters.
Old 01-21-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
Very doubtful.
Old 01-21-07, 04:59 PM

The question was about grapics, not play mechanics (which is a lot more subjective than graphics).

Wasn't the Gamecube already able to pump out graphics close to what the Xbox could? I think the main thing holding it back is sticking with 480p as the max resolution.
Old 01-21-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Astro
The question was about grapics, not play mechanics (which is a lot more subjective than graphics).

Wasn't the Gamecube already able to pump out graphics close to what the Xbox could? I think the main thing holding it back is sticking with 480p as the max resolution.
Yeah, and sounds like everyone is pretty much in agreement with what I said, not a lot of incentive for developers to push the wii graphically like the orginal xbox was. Of course I was making no comment on gameplay or innovation, but that was fairly clear.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.