Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War

Old 01-01-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sent everyone a friend request today, if anyone is still looking for co-op play. I'd like to get through insane sometime (preferrably as Dom ).
Old 01-02-07, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

For the record, if you are tagged by a guy, and you roll into him and take him with you, it counts as a suicide for the guy that tagged you...not a kill for you.
Old 01-02-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by squaredeals
For the record, if you are tagged by a guy, and you roll into him and take him with you, it counts as a suicide for the guy that tagged you...not a kill for you.

That's what I thought. I knew the tagee didn't get anything but I knew a Suicide is registered because that's the screen message that popped up when I saw it done.
Old 01-02-07, 02:33 PM

finally got the game over the holidays...lovin' it so far. my gamertag is below:
Old 01-02-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Whatever dude. I've seen it happen.

your wrong bro, but I'm done trying to convince you otherwise
Old 01-02-07, 07:54 PM

Beat the game tonight by myself on Casual, took me about 20 trys to kill Raam
Old 01-02-07, 08:59 PM

Uncle gramps and I are in a room right now. If anyone wants to join hit us up.
Old 01-03-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just started this on New Year's, and I'm loving it so far (through first two acts on Hardcore).
Old 01-03-07, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
your wrong bro, but I'm done trying to convince you otherwise

I'm not. But we will agree to disagree.
Old 01-03-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got an Xbox (after always playing first person shooters on a pc). Enjoying it. Just having a tough time getting used to all of the controls.
Old 01-06-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, single-player was a total blast. Can't wait to check out online co-op, insane, and multiplayer.
Old 01-06-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Okay, single-player was a total blast. Can't wait to check out online co-op, insane, and multiplayer.
Unless playing with friends, I find the multiplayer very repetative. Three game types and they are all basically the same. No true deathmatch, no capture the flag, no headquarters, no territories, on and on. The online coop is cool though.
Old 01-07-07, 12:22 AM

Just beat Act 1 on Hardcore. Didn't seem a whole lot tougher than Casual
Old 01-07-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ElementZ
I thought that too, then the same about Insane -- until I went back and tried
casual again. Big difference. They go down way easier and hit for $#!t
Old 01-07-07, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Wait to you get to the later acts. Those exploding wretch things do major damage if you are caught in their blast radius. Those "elite" guys with the torque bows will kill you in one shot if they hit you. On casual, they were not one shot kills.
Old 01-08-07, 11:23 AM

Patch and new maps on January 10th...

Found on Kotaku:

The Gears of War update should be hitting sometime today with two new free multiplayer maps hitting Wednesday, according to Epic's Mark Rein.

The patch includes quite a number of fixes and tweaks. Here's Rein's full break-down:

Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
Enabled "Strict" NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
Added additional cheat detection code
Additional housekeeping updates

Pretty much addresses the 2 main issues I had with the game. The range on the grenade stick and the problem with voicechat when joining a game in progress. As for the 2 new maps, here's the details on those:

Raven Down: A Raven Helicopter has gone down in the middle of a large scale battle with the omnipresent Locust Horde. Gears have taken out the Seeder and gamers join Delta Forces moving into the crash site from all angles to search for survivors.

Old Bones: In an attempt to eradicate any traces of human history and culture, the Locust Horde has emerged under Sera's Capitaline Museums and has begun to destroy them brick by brick. Each gamer's mission is to help the Delta Force recapture the museums before all remnants of humankind's existence are obliterated.
Old 01-08-07, 11:26 AM

Martin's not going to like this game when they reduce the effectiveness of his damn grenade stick.
Old 01-08-07, 11:37 AM

I love how they directly manipulate the distance of the grenade stick but do nothing about the fifty yard danger zone of the chainsaw melee

Oh well.......as long as I can still blow people's heads clean off thier shoulders with a sniper I'm fine with it.
Old 01-08-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
I love how they directly manipulate the distance of the grenade stick but do nothing about the fifty yard danger zone of the chainsaw melee

Oh well.......as long as I can still blow people's heads clean off thier shoulders with a sniper I'm fine with it.
The chainsaw melee can be stopped more easily by the shotgun than the grenade tag. You have to hit them full-on with the blast and kill them to stop the tag, but if you hit them at all, it interrupts the chainsaw. Also, you can whip them with the butt of the shotgun to interrupt the saw if they try to get you while you're loading.
Old 01-08-07, 12:27 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Is the 'Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance' a multiplayer-only thing? Because I don't play this over Live and don't see a benefit for downloading this patch if it just weakens my grenades against the computer.
Old 01-08-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DRG
Is the 'Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance' a multiplayer-only thing? Because I don't play this over Live and don't see a benefit for downloading this patch if it just weakens my grenades against the computer.

I think it's multiplayer. I was watching a, "Multiplayer tips" video on some game site and the ability to melee grenades from a distince was one of the observations/tips they made.
Old 01-08-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have increased the splash damage of the boom shot. That weapons sucks unless you get a direct shot. I was hoping they wouldn't fix the genage tag bug until I got the achievement. I'm still hoping they add a true deathmatch game mode in the future.
Old 01-08-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank god they made changes to grenade tagging. It's so damn cheap. The chainsaw I have no problem with, because all you have to do is shoot the person to make them stop. There's virtually nothing you can do to stop a grenade tagger, short of getting a quick head shot.
Old 01-08-07, 03:44 PM

I'm so gald they're fixing the tagging too. That is such a pussy weapon that far too many people use on Live. The chainsaw also does not bother me because it can be stopped pretty easily.

I'm also glad about the removal of the host name because every damn match I've played the past 2 weeks has been against a clan or bunch of friends. And when you play with a bunch of random people against a well established team, you don't do too well.
Old 01-08-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I'm also glad about the removal of the host name because every damn match I've played the past 2 weeks has been against a clan or bunch of friends. And when you play with a bunch of random people against a well established team, you don't do too well.
I hear ya, but this won't stop that in the least. All they'll do is agree upon a
set stage/# of rounds and search for their buddies matches that way. Ranked
should just dump you in the 1st slot it finds, not to mention you should be
grouped with like leveled players. Too often you get dumped in a game where
as Eric D described, you're 1 of 4 strangers going against a clan whose players
are all very good, you get killed quick thus getting no real practice against
players, and they just get free kills.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.