Old 06-22-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this game has to be online to be successful on the 360

i can see it happening
Old 06-22-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure it will have online play. Dead or Alive 4 had it.
Old 06-22-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure it won't. It's been said before that Sega won't do VF online until they're comfortable that the infrastructure can support the "VF experience".
Old 06-22-07, 09:19 AM

it's going to do sh!tty then, and I would feel no need to buy their game
Old 06-22-07, 07:37 PM
Banned

VF5 with even the slightest bit of lag is not VF5.
Old 07-06-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 190 Posts
Virtua Fighter 5 Goes Online

Xbox Live to become SEGA's new battleground.

By the time Virtua Fighter 5 is released on Xbox 360, more than six months will have passed since its PlayStation 3 debut. That time is being well spent as SEGA and developer AM2 are bringing an online component to the renowned series. That's right, VF5 will be Xbox Live compatible with a two-player online versus mode. You may begin rejoicing.

Players can build a custom character in the expanded Quest Mode before taking their fighter online to do battle. Not only will you fight for glory (and a place on the Leaderboards), but for prizes and in-game cash that can be used to buy new accessories for your character. Quest Mode allows gamers to create unique names and mottos for any of the 17 playable characters in Virtua Fighter 5. They can then purchase clothing and other accessories to personalize their fighter. This can go to great extremes in some cases, with two versions of the same character looking almost nothing alike. So expect to come across some unique variations on some of your VF favorites when playing online.

"Virtua Fighter 5 is the most intense fighting experience available on next-generation consoles," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America. "The addition of online multiplayer support opens up the competition to a global scale enabling players to compete and challenge anyone, anywhere, anytime, using Xbox Live."

Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 will use the most recent arcade update and feature all the improvements of Version C. The PS3 release used Version B. Gamers can also enjoy an improved Dojo Mode that includes online leaderboards, improved throw escape training, and the ability to change your opponent's stance and recovery type.

But really, the big news is the addition of Xbox Live. We managed to grab a few minutes of time with Yoshihiro Tsuzuku, Director at AM2, for a brief Q&A about Virtua Fighter 5's online compontent.

IGN: Lag can kill a fighter. What steps are being taken to ensure a smooth play session online?

Yoshihiro Tsuzuku: It's impossible to get rid of the lags completely. It's hard to answer to your question in a single word, but we are assuming various conditions and making necessary adjustments to find the best way.

IGN: Is the Quest mode going to allow for online players or is online its own specific mode?

Tsuzuku: The Quest Mode is single player and you can fight a battle immediately by simply visiting the virtual shop and selecting a rival CPU. The CPUs in Xbox 360 version are better tuned than the PS3 version, so they will be more human-like and stronger. Moreover, the online battle will be based on the VS Mode. Please look forward to it.

IGN: Is it going to be just standard arcade fighting, or are there any other unique modes being added for online?

Tsuzuku: The following 5 performances are featured as the online elements.
Human vs human online battle using the VS Mode and Xbox Live.
Ranking of the above online battle.
"Score Attack" Ranking in Arcade Mode.
"Clear Time" Ranking in Arcade Mode.
"Clear Time" Ranking in Dojo Mode.
Also, we are considering uploading the replay data for some of the Rankings.

We are planning on making the online battle simple and fun.

IGN: Are there any Achievements linked directly to online play?

Tsuzuku: The settings in Achievement are currently under consideration.

IGN: Will there be any special unlockables linked to online play or any other rewards specific to playing on Xbox Live?

Tsuzuku: Some gamers do not have an online environment, so we are wondering if we should take it or not. It's under review now.

IGN: Any plans to release a demo before the game ships?

Tsuzuku: Our team is looking into it, stay tuned for more details.

Virtua Fighter 5 ships for Xbox 360 this fall.

IGN.com
Old 07-06-07, 10:06 PM

smart move by sega. this game tanked on the ps3, i think it will do well on the 360 with online play.
Old 07-07-07, 09:59 AM

This is HUGE. VF5 online is a dream. I understand lag may be a problem, but I'll deal with it if it means playing with some of you guys and friends online.

I also think this will be big in Japan since Virtua Fighter is so popular over there. This can only mean good things for them there.
Old 07-07-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In yo' face PS3!

Can't wait for this, looks like a lot of fun!
Old 07-09-07, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I'm pretty sure it won't. It's been said before that Sega won't do VF online until they're comfortable that the infrastructure can support the "VF experience".

yu iz wrong
Old 07-09-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how VF5 will do on the 360 in Japan - whether or not the online component will be enough to sell some systems there.
Old 07-09-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like it would be possible for Sega to make online play possible in the PS3 version via a downloadable add-on. I think that's what they did (or plan to do?) with the Tekken 5 downloadable game.
Old 07-11-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
yu iz wrong
I wasn't wrong about what they said. They changed their mind apparently. Whether it turns out to be a good idea time will tell.
Old 07-25-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Virtua Fighter 5 Gets Firm 360 Release Date

Xbox owners can button-mash their way to victory after October 30.

SEGA of America has confirmed an October 30 release date for Virtua Fighter 5 on the Xbox 360.

The latest console installment in the 3D fighter series debuted in the U.S. on the PlayStation 3 in February and the 360 version promises online leaderboards, downloadable arcade matches, a fleshed-out quest mode and enhanced character customization. VF5 for the 360 is based on the most current arcade version and supports both analog-stick and D-pad control, as well as vibration.

Key features include:

Online multiplayer enables players to compete worldwide challenging any one, any where, any time, using Xbox Live.

Leaderboards let players to see how they stack up against other players worldwide both in their Arcade Mode scores and clear time, and in the command list clear time for their favorite character.

Character data portability makes it possible to save characters created in the Quest Mode via Memory Unit and play with those characters against other people's customized characters in the VS Mode on other Xbox 360 systems.

Quest Mode, where players can compete in various arcades and win prize money to fully customize each character.

Gameplay based on the latest arcade version Virtua Fighter&153; 5 will be the most balanced release ever in the series for a home console.

Improved AI makes challenging the highest level rival characters in quest mode much more difficult for advanced players. AI opponents will also differ more from each other and have individualistic styles.

In-depth DOJO mode: where players can learn and practice moves. For the first time players will also be able to post their command list clear time results to an online leaderboard.

Enhanced commentary function: allows players to turn on play-by-play sports commentary audio.

3-D fighting environments: inspired by locales around the world

720p HD resolution widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1ch. Improved anti-aliasing.

Online details give gamers the option to view replays of the top characters in Score Attack Mode and offer Marketplace items.

IGN.com
Old 07-26-07, 07:31 AM

no 1080p?
Old 07-26-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
no 1080p?
Doubtful, the PS3 version was 720p as well.
Old 10-12-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Virtua Fighter 5 Demo Released

Engage in trial fisticuffs with four characters in two game modes.

A demo version of Virtua Fighter 5 is now available for download on the Xbox 360 Marketplace, Sega of America announced today.

The demo features the four selectable characters Akira, Sarah, El Blaze and Eileen, The demo also includes three stages and two game modes: vs. mode, where two players can battle it out offline, and a single-player arcade mode.

Virtua Fighter 5 is scheduled for an Oct. 30 release in North America for the Xbox 360.

IGN.com
Old 10-13-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did you guys think of the demo? I had never played Virtua Fighter before and it took a bit getting used to not fighting at super fast speeds like in Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat but the combo system seems very, very deep.
Old 10-13-07, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What did you guys think of the demo? I had never played Virtua Fighter before and it took a bit getting used to not fighting at super fast speeds like in Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat but the combo system seems very, very deep.
I liked it quite a bit. I didn't get into VF until 4 came out and spent a lot of time with it. I think they slowed it down slightly compared to 4. This game is much deeper than Tekken, but sometimes can be daunting in comparison. If you really want to get good at this game, try out all the characters until you find at least a couple that you really like and stick with them.
Old 10-13-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it alright. I played VF4 on PS2, but I dunno, it's not really my style of game, I'd probably pick it up when it goes Plat. Hits.
Old 10-31-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IGN Ratings for Virtua Fighter 5 Online (X360)
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/831/831623p2.html

7.0 Presentation
This is as standardized as it gets. The fight intros are forgettable, the announcers are (sadly) impossible to forget.

9.0 Graphics
An attractive game with some excellent environments, great animations, and awesome character designs.

6.0 Sound
The English dub is pretty bad. The music is standard fare that is passable.

9.5 Gameplay
The best fighting engine ever made. A truly remarkable system that's astoundingly deep.

9.5 Lasting Appeal

Mastering the controls and unlocking all items for a single character takes a long time. And there are seventeen characters in VF5.

Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)