Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WII restock rumors / facts thread part 2, Electric Boogalooo

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happened into the local BB at 3pm and was shocked to see 6 PS3s just sitting there under a folding table with games and accessories.

Sadly, they still didn't have a classic controller for the Wii.
Old 12-31-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
These Sony naysayer posts are ridiculous. Inferior to what? There's nothing to compare it to. And a 360 to play HD-DVD is more expensive than a PS3 to play BD, so that comparison is a loser. Also, you can't "overprice" something that is still MSRP UNDER manufacturing costs.

No one "wins" a console war. MS, Nintendo, and Sony always have been and probably always will be. They are each different and unique in their own right.
How is a 360 to play HD-DVD more expensive? They come to the same price. $400 for the 360 + $200 for the HD-DVD drive = $600, same as PS3.

It's overpriced in terms of gamers not willing to pay that much for a system. Plain and simple.
Old 12-31-06, 04:14 PM

Not to mention that the lauch titles are mediocre at best with the exception of a few. Wait until some more AAA titles start popping up. I'm really surprised Sony didn't have more games for launch.
Old 12-31-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matt925
Technically they're underpricing it, as they lose money on every system and are offering a blu-ray player at well under the cost of any other.
That's like saying Nintendo would be underpricing their system if they built a pound of platinum in it and sold it for $7000, though. I don't want a pound of platinum, and I don't want the next Betamax. I don't care how much the next Betamax costs. As a game system, the PS3 is overpriced.

The wii is clearly the hot item right now, but will it last for years?
Now this is the million dollar question. I figure we'll know by next Christmas.
Old 12-31-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
How is a 360 to play HD-DVD more expensive? They come to the same price. $400 for the 360 + $200 for the HD-DVD drive = $600, same as PS3.

It's overpriced in terms of gamers not willing to pay that much for a system. Plain and simple.
Not to mention, pixel for pixel, the 360 looks either better, exactly the same, or the frame rates are a lot better right now.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html
Old 12-31-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,070 Posts
I just got back from Best Buy - I had intended to pick up a 360 but I'm going to hold off for a good deal. I missed some decent ones around Xmas.

Anyway, I had to go to the return counter to get a refund on some DVDs and noticed a huge stack of PS3s behind the counter - I don't know which version. The ad for today had said they were giving out tickets at open, and this was around 4 PM. I saw a BB employee grab four and take them out to put on the floor, so obviously they were available for sale. 25 of them in the store by my count, and they did not appear to be flying off the shelves.

My first time seeing them in a store. If you are in the area, it was the Apple Valley Best Buy off Cedar.
Old 12-31-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sony really thought they'd made up the loss on the PS3 unit costs by having gamers buy a small selection of PS3 of games, and buy Blu-ray discs, but gamers mainly just want games, and Blu-ray discs is still just a niche market in terms of numbers.
Old 12-31-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by corbin dallas
I'm really surprised Sony didn't have more games for launch.
They all got bumped. Sonic, Rainbow 6, FEAR, Oblivion and of course GT:HD. So PS3 fans do have stuff to look forward to in the coming months, but like the launch it is all shit you can have cheaper and/or earlier on the other system...more than likely with better online features/capabilities.

No one "wins" a console war. MS, Nintendo, and Sony always have been and probably always will be. They are each different and unique in their own right.
Not true. Sega was unique in their own right, but they certainly didn't set the world on fire with the stream of systems leading up to the Dreamcast. Everyone probably thought they would always be around as well. There is definitely a winner, whomever makes money, so technically there can be multiple winners. MS seems to bleed money like Sega did, and unless the PS3 picks up major steam Sony is looking to do the same this gen. It is all a matter of how long these companies are willing to lose money in this industry. See Sega.
Old 12-31-06, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Sony really thought they'd made up the loss on the PS3 unit costs by having gamers buy a small selection of PS3 of games, and buy Blu-ray discs, but gamers mainly just want games, and Blu-ray discs is still just a niche market in terms of numbers.
The problem for Sony with this is that most people are not going to spend 20% more for a Blu Ray movie vs an SD copy unless they are HT freaks like most of us here. I think the majority of people that wanted a PS3 wanted it for games not the Blu Ray. Now that Sony has forced Blu Ray down our collective throats, most gamers do not want to spend the high premium for a PS3.

JMHO
Old 12-31-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,147 Likes on 701 Posts
If anyone is in the Birmingham area and wants a PS3, check your local Best Buy. They (Hoover location) had at least two dozen or more sitting on the floor when you first walk into the store when I was there around 2:00 pm today. I was actually kind of shocked when I first saw the high pile of them and assumed they were just empty boxes for a display until I picked one up.

I passed on getting one though. I have decided to wait for reviews of Halo 3 to possibly throw my hat back into the console ring. My DS will get me thru these trying times.

The Ebayer in me almost bought one but I had a co-worker who scored two PS3s by spending the night outside during the launch in Montgomery. He tried to sell them for $3500 each (denying his child one for X-mas). He then slowly worked his way down to $900 each and when they still didn't sell, he gave one to his begging kid for X-mas and still couldn't unload the other one (even during the busy X-mas time). I don't know what the lowest price he finally decided to go but he was quite disappointed he spent the night out in the cold that evening.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 12-31-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
These Sony naysayer posts are ridiculous. Inferior to what? There's nothing to compare it to. And a 360 to play HD-DVD is more expensive than a PS3 to play BD, so that comparison is a loser. Also, you can't "overprice" something that is still MSRP UNDER manufacturing costs.

I can see winners in a console war, but maybe that's just me
Old 12-31-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The Ebayer in me almost bought one but I had a co-worker who scored two PS3s by spending the night outside during the launch in Montgomery. He tried to sell them for $3500 each (denying his child one for X-mas). He then slowly worked his way down to $900 each and when they still didn't sell, he gave one to his begging kid for X-mas and still couldn't unload the other one (even during the busy X-mas time). I don't know what the lowest price he finally decided to go but he was quite disappointed he spent the night out in the cold that evening.
Thanks for the story. I'm kind of glad it blew up in his face based on what you have written here. At least the kid wanted one.
Old 12-31-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw PS3's in Best Buy and Wal-Mart.
Old 12-31-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure Atari and Sega would agree with you!

Nothing is a given in this market. Sony wasn't a player until 1995, and Microsoft until 2001. And, just like previous companies, they could have one or two flops and decide to pull out of the console market.
Old 12-31-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by corbin dallas
The problem for Sony with this is that most people are not going to spend 20% more for a Blu Ray movie vs an SD copy unless they are HT freaks like most of us here. I think the majority of people that wanted a PS3 wanted it for games not the Blu Ray. Now that Sony has forced Blu Ray down our collective throats, most gamers do not want to spend the high premium for a PS3.

JMHO
From the get go, I was not convinced that the public would be willing to pay $600 for a game console; regardless if it plays Blue Ray discs. Sony's calculation on the demographics for this console simply doesn't make sense. IMHO, the average family with children (not adolescents) will not justify the cost for a PS3 console versus a Wii, let alone a 360. PS3 games for $59 each and BD movies for $30-40 each? Though the Wii games are $49, which isn't cheap, at least you can play Gamecube games and the games are certainly more kid friendly as a whole.
Old 01-01-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well my local Wal-Mart is filled with 60gb PS3s so I guess they will be easy to come by from here on out. I'm very tempted to get one but I am trying to talk myself out of it. I mentioned to my wife that it would be a nice things for her to give us for our anniversary but I can't think of anything to give her that would be cheap but impress her.
Old 01-01-07, 01:09 AM

Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but if you're looking for a 60 gig PS3, you can use this link to check the availability of your local Circuitcity.
Old 01-01-07, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toogood
Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but if you're looking for a 60 gig PS3, you can use this link to check the availability of your local Circuitcity.
Also, change the item number to 166284 if you want the 20gb.
Old 01-01-07, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even the closest CC has the 60GBs in stock.

They are all over the place. Amazing.
Old 01-01-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the link. Every CC within my range has the 60gig in stock. I want one, but there's no games I want right now and I have the Samsung for BD playback. But it's definitely tempting. I think I'd rather have the cheaper 20gig version though. I'd rather have a wired connection.

Does anyone have the tracking link for Best Buy's website?
Old 01-01-07, 09:24 AM

Well it looks like this thread will be riding off into the sunset very soon...
Old 01-01-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the person on this page who said his friend didn't make out too well on ebay, all I have to say is "Haw, Haw". For every person who sold the PS3 for 2k, there is 10 people who either didn't make that much or actually lost money. Maybe in the future this will discourage the ebay mentality when a new console is launched, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 01-01-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Is there a similar link on the CC site for the Wii? I can't find one myself.
Old 01-01-07, 03:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
For the person on this page who said his friend didn't make out too well on ebay, all I have to say is "Haw, Haw". For every person who sold the PS3 for 2k, there is 10 people who either didn't make that much or actually lost money. Maybe in the future this will discourage the ebay mentality when a new console is launched, but somehow I doubt it.

It was all about timing. Anyone who tried selling it on or the day after it was released did well. Otherwise it was hit or miss, with a huge number of fraud auctions due to shitty Ebay's lazy fraud protection.
Old 01-01-07, 03:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone know when the Wii will be showing up again?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.