Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 03:36 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont get COD3 (at least until its really cheap). A different company made it and its not like a sequel at all. If you're only playing single player, COD2 is SO much better. COD3 is a bit mundane and thats putting it lightly. With a few tweaks COD3 could be a lot better online, but forget about single player.
Old 12-18-06, 03:41 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HydroX2
I might get LOTR: Battle for Middle-Earth II, anybody have good/bad reviews on that one?
Download the demo and see what you think. I am a fan of the RTS genre, but I cannot seem to play them on a console (I need the mouse). The mentality (drag-and-select characters, for example) just seems like it was designed for a mouse.

Maybe I just suck at using the controller, but I prefer to play RTSs on a PC. The demo will give you a good idea of whether it merits a purchase in your case.
Old 12-18-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, I'm getting into the 360 game late. Should I get the Core or Premium set? What do I need to get online? I have high-speed internet but no network. Also, do I need memory cards if I get the core version or does it save to hard drive like the old Xbox? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-18-06, 06:39 PM
mbs

Alright, I'm getting into the 360 game late. Should I get the Core or Premium set? What do I need to get online? I have high-speed internet but no network. Also, do I need memory cards if I get the core version or does it save to hard drive like the old Xbox? Sorry for all the questions.
Definately, positively get the premium. The hard drive should be considered essential (you need it to download demos, movies (if you are into that). And the memory cards are not exactly cheap (which you will need for game updates and game saves if you went with the core).

If your internet didn't come with a router, you just need to add a router (certainly under $20 these days).
Old 12-18-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks bro. So I won't be able to save at all with the core system without memory cards? I might just pick up that Premium set with the $100 gift card at Toys R' Us this week. Could I use the ethernet cord that comes with the premium set to hook up to my pc for online capability?
Old 12-18-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I really can't comment too much since I've only had the 360 for about six weeks and I'm not sure what style of games you really like more than others. But if a shooter is a must then get Gears of War hands down. Great single play, coop thru on-line is a blast and multi-player is fun as well. It does have a story behind it and the A.I is not push-over in hard-core while insane mode is just that.

One thing about the 360 is you'll be able to download trailers and playable demos right away before opening up the wallet. There's also some cool arcade style games you can try and pick up if you want. One thing for a fact is most if not all here on this forum can be helpful and be more than willing to play online with. Grab the 360 Premo and don't look back.

Kenny J. - Buzz Starhopper
Old 12-18-06, 07:05 PM

You can't really hook up the 360 to your pc, however it will work connecting to a router or directly to your cable modem. If neither will be close to the 360, you'll need to go wireless with either an ethernet to wireless bridge or the official 360 adapter. A powerline adapter is another alternative but it can be pricey depending on where you look.

As for games, I'd definitely try out GOW. As someone mentioned already, demos are also a great way to find out whether a game is for you or not. From the suggestions in this thread I decided to dl and try out Fight night, and from the demo I'll probably end up buying the game after Christmas.
Old 12-18-06, 07:13 PM
mbs

So I won't be able to save at all with the core system without memory cards?
Nope.

Could I use the ethernet cord that comes with the premium set to hook up to my pc for online capability?
I think with two ethernet cards in your PC, you can do this. But I don't know for sure...

Last edited by mbs; 12-18-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Easiest decision of your life : Premium over Core. Why the core system even exists is beyond me, besides to get down to the $299 price. If you couldn't get the core for $99.99 from Amazon, don't buy one.

I have three games so far : Gears Of War, Test Drive Unlimited and Marvel Ultimite Alliance. I really like all three and playing GoW on coop via Live is one of the coolest expeirences I've ever had gaming. It's really an impressive achievement. The first time I saw that steadycam effect while running I was completely blown away.
Test Drive is a fun racer and not much more expensive than even the PH titles. It's a really remarkable representation of Oahu and I love that you see eveyone playing the game all at once on the island. It's almost like an automobile MMORPG.
MUA is nothing too special, but it's still a lot of fun and pretty addictive. I already own it for the PSP and went ahead and picked it up for the 360 as well. I don't mind owning it twice; it's a great diviersion and a game I can play with my daughter watching (unlike GoW that I have to wait to play until she goes asleep).
Old 12-18-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, thanks bro. So I won't be able to save at all with the core system without memory cards? I might just pick up that Premium set with the $100 gift card at Toys R' Us this week. Could I use the ethernet cord that comes with the premium set to hook up to my pc for online capability?
The $100 GC offsets the price difference between the premium and the core, and with the premium you get a wireless controller and the hard drive, and save yourself the cost of a memory card. So as stated by others definitely go premium.

You can pick up routers cheap, so if its close enough for you to go wired, it won't be any issue and will definitely be cheap, as you won't have to pick up a wireless adapter for the 360. If its not close enough there are a few threads on going wireless around here as well as you can check it out info on www.xbox.com about connecting wirelessly.

Depends on what types of games you like for those recommendations.

If you haven't already check out www.xbox.com/bclist for good Xbox games you may like that are cheap and are backward compatible... you will need to either connect the 360 to the net or download the update to a PC and burn it to a CD to take advantage of the backward compatibility and you will need a storage device (which won't be an issue if you go premium).
Old 12-18-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you guys know where the best place to get a cheap router is?
Old 12-18-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could I use the ethernet cord that comes with the premium set to hook up to my pc for online capability?
In my setup, since I don't have a router, I just bypass my PC. The ethernet cord comes out of my modem to the back of the 360. I just leave the cord that came with the Premium connected to the back of the console. I'm close enough to my modem that it doesn't take too much to extend it and take my comp. offline (ethernet cord to my PC disconnected) in place of the 360.

I may just get a router later on but this is working out ok for now.
Old 12-18-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Xbox69, how long is the ethernet cord that comes with it? I might be able to run it to my modem.
Old 12-18-06, 10:19 PM

i got a linksys wrt54g off ebay for 44 (BIN actually). It works with my 360, Wii, PSP, and my DS with ease.
Old 12-18-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This cord looks to be about 15 - 16 ft. You could probably get a longer one for cheap. I bought a 50 ft. strand @ Radio Shack for around $15 a couple of years ago.
Old 12-18-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hooking up routers and what not and I'd rather get the 360 Adapter for $99 than run a cord across the room and have to disconnect my computer connection everytime I want to play. I'm glad you guys helped clear this up for me. Will my 360 be able to go live if I have it upstairs and the adapter hooked in downstairs? One last question, do all of you guys have Hi-Def tvs to play these games, is there much of a difference visually?
Old 12-19-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To save a little money (since you will need to buy a wireless router to use the wireless adapter), hook up your modem and wireless router behind your TV. Hardwire your 360 to your router and buy a wireless card for you PC.

You can get a PC wireless card for ~$20, much better than dropping $100 for the 360 one.
Old 12-19-06, 08:21 AM

yea, I probably should have hard-wired my 360, but I like having everything wireless. I don't get lag when I play, but I do notice some when I'm downloading demos and what-not.
Old 12-19-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I set up a Zyxel P330W wireless router as a wireless bridge (one of the other modes of operation it offers), and just used the Xbox 360's ethernet port connected to the bridge and gained wireless access in that manner. It was much cheaper than the $99 wireless solution by Microsoft.
Old 12-19-06, 08:53 AM

i got my microsoft wireless adapter used at EB for 63 with my card
Old 12-19-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got my Zyxel P330W for $10 after rebates.
Old 12-19-06, 09:00 AM

does that work with the DS, PSP, and Wii as well?
Old 12-19-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bridges only work with a NIC port (RJ-45 connector slot), not a USB port.
Old 12-19-06, 09:14 AM

those are all wireless and have built in cards :/
Old 12-19-06, 10:20 AM
Banned

...and pass on Perfect Dark Zero and Gears of War (since I won't be playing online).

Don't pass on Gears of War just because you won't be playing online. The single player campaign is still amazing albeit short. I never play online either and I absolutely loved Gears of War. It never gets old chainsawing the Locust into bloody gibs.

Should I get the Core or Premium set?
Premium includes:
chrome disc drive
hard drive
wireless controller
headset
component video cable (which is needed for HD gaming)
ethernet cable

Core includes:
wired controller
composite video cable only

The core is a ripoff. Buying everything separately that comes with the premium will cost you much more than $400 total.

One last question, do all of you guys have Hi-Def tvs to play these games, is there much of a difference visually?
IMO, yes there is a substantial difference. Notice how on your PC monitor everything is sharp and crisp and on a standard def TV things tend to get flickery and blurry. This is the also the difference between HD and SD gaming. Many games, Dead Rising is especially guilty of this, were made for HD sets. As a result, text in Dead Rising is so small and blurry on a SDTV that it is virtually unreadable. Almost all other games have blurry text on SDTV too, but Dead Rising is the worst case.

Last edited by taffer; 12-19-06 at 10:34 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.