Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Left Handers and the Wii Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 10:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Handers and the Wii Controller

I've pretty much given up on getting a Wii any time soon (I refuse to camp), so today I picked up Twilight Princess for gamecube.
The game is great as was expected, but it got me thinking how it would play with the wii controller. I'm left handed, so over the years I've gotten used to having my dominant hand on the directional pad and my right hand on the buttons.
With the wii setup, I'd either have to have the nunchuck(dpad) in my left hand and do the pointing with my right, or have the pointer in my left hand and the dpad in my right, which would be hard for me to do.
Any left handers out there care to comment?
Old 12-12-06, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

The nunchuck is meant to be held in the left hand, and the remote in the right. I know that Link holds his sword in his right hand in the Wii version of Twilight Princess for this very reason. He is traditionally Left handed in all the other Zelda games.
Old 12-12-06, 11:17 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is set up that way in Zelda, but it will work just as well with the nunchuk in the right hand.

The movements aren't remotely 1 to 1 and your really just flicking your wrist, so it shouldn't through any lefties off that they are waving their left hand to swing the sword in Link's right hand.
Old 12-13-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a lefty and I hold the nunchuck in my right hand. Yesterday I read about the Wii version being 'mirrored' so Link holds his sword in his right hand to match how most people will hold the remote.

That was the first time I ever thought about it. So far, swinging the sword with my left hand hasn't been an issue. I'm still just kind of flailing that thing around when I fight though.
Old 12-13-06, 08:06 AM

i don't have a problem using it.
Old 12-13-06, 09:37 AM
tpc

I played it left handed just to see. While it was clunky because I'm NOT left handed, I think it would totally work for someone who was. The pointing and aiming parts with the boomerangs and slingshots and bows would work either way, and the sword swinging is very forgiving. it just interprets movement, not orientation... so I think Zelda, and really, any Wii game Ive played at this point could be done left handed. The exception would be Wii sports, but it has settings for lefties in there and they work fine for my left handed friends.
Old 12-13-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

southpaw here and I use the remote in my left and the nunchuck in my right. It was very much instinct. I didn't even notice I was doing it "wrong" until I watched someone right hand play and it lined up. It was a very "Doh!" moment.
In the end it works both ways.
Old 12-13-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm left-handed, but I hold the nunchuck in my left hand and the wii-mote in my right. It feels more natural, to me, for games like Zelda. On PC, I use my mouse with my right hand, which is usually aiming for games like fps. So, since the wii-mote is kind of like a mouse, it feels better for me to use my right hand.

When I play Wii Sports, however, I use the wii-mote in my left hand. That pretty much goes for most stuff I've played, so far, that requires just the Wii-mote.
Old 12-13-06, 03:21 PM

So far, none of the Wii games I have played presented any problems by using the nunchuk in my right-hand.
Old 12-13-06, 06:09 PM

Left handed and use the remote with my left. When I tried with the right, the onscreen cursor was all shaky, indicating my right hand is pathetically inferior. And shaky.
Old 12-13-06, 10:03 PM
Cool New Member

What I was trying to say is that if I were to swing a sword in real life, the sword (wiimote) would be in my left hand, being left handed. That would put the nunchuck (dpad) in my right hand, which is contrary to how I've played video games for 20 years.
After playing through about 10 hours of Zelda on gamecube, I don't think I could stand doing all the directional work with my right hand.