Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dragon Quest IX - DS EXCLUSIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noonan4224
This offering is not.
And you've made this decision based on two screenshots and 10 seconds of footage?
Old 12-12-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
You might lose the stunning and sound part, but you were arguing length not how good it looks.
I still believe the media capacity limits you on how big a game world you can make. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If you're making a 3D world with lots of areas and dungeons to explore it's going to require more data than a game that has one area and one dungeon, am I right?

I guess I need to rephrase what I said, media capacity limits how big a game you can make not length but the way I look at is, the larger the game world, the more there is to see and do thus the game being longer.

Last edited by Setzer; 12-12-06 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
And you've made this decision based on two screenshots and 10 seconds of footage?
Based on watching 4 people play at the same time, running around and hacking at things in real time. That is not a RPG regardless of how good it turns out (which I hope is excellet).
Old 12-12-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Setzer
I still believe the media capacity limits you on how big a game world you can make.
Dude, you've got two programmers telling you that it is inconsequential and you're still holing onto that Blu-Ray of Light?
Old 12-12-06, 12:35 PM
Retired

I guess I need to rephrase what I said, media capacity limits how big a game you can make not length but the way I look at is, the larger the game world, the more there is to do thus the game being longer.
I'm still not sure that's true, as you can just use lower textures and polygon counts, recycle textures etc. and get a world just as big in much less space.

You can also have more to do in a smaller world and make the game longer.

I just don't see the space having much to do with length. It has more to do with graphics, sound, videos etc.
Old 12-12-06, 12:36 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Based on watching 4 people play at the same time, running around and hacking at things in real time. That is not a RPG regardless of how good it turns out (which I hope is excellet).

Wrong. It means it is not a turn based RPG.

It can still be an epic RPG, which is what your original post was saying it was not.

The combat system doesn't effect whether or not it's an RPG.
Old 12-12-06, 12:49 PM

Dude, you've got two programmers telling you that it is inconsequential and you're still holing onto that Blu-Ray of Light?
Ok genius, if what you say is true then DQIX on the DS should be longer and look just as good as DQVIII on the PS2. I can expect 60+hrs of epic RPG fun, in a lush 3D game world because media capacity isn't an issue. Awesome.
Old 12-12-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Ok genius, if what you say is true then DQIX on the DS is going to be longer and look just as good as DQVIII on the PS2. I can expect 60+hrs of epic RPG fun, in a lush 3D game world because media capacity isn't an issue. Awesome.
Sigh. It doesn't guarantee that it WILL be that long. It just means that it CAN be that long if they want it to be. Being on the PS3 wouldn't guarantee that it would be that long either.
Old 12-12-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok genius, if what you say is true then DQIX on the DS should be longer and look just as good as DQVIII on the PS2. I can expect 60+hrs of epic RPG fun, in a lush 3D game world because media capacity isn't an issue. Awesome.
He's just saying that because it's on the DS doesn't mean it can't be 60+ hours. He isn't saying it will be.
Old 12-12-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Wrong. It means it is not a turn based RPG.

It can still be an epic RPG, which is what your original post was saying it was not.

The combat system doesn't effect whether or not it's an RPG.
Exactly, based on what's been said and shown you can say two things: 1. It's now an action-RPG with an online co-op mode. 2. It won't look and sound as good as a PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5 game. But to say the game is going to be "dumbed down," won't be as long or won't be "epic" are just baseless conclusions.

I don't know.. I'm just scratching my head at the sheer number of solid, concrete "this game will suck" opinions the internet kids have formed based on the VERY little that has been shown. It's quite bemusing at the very least.
Old 12-12-06, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
He's just saying that because it's on the DS doesn't mean it can't be 60+ hours. He isn't saying it will be.
The game won't be 60+hrs because it's a portable game w/multi-player, I said this before.

By the way, I never said the game was going to "suck". I just don't like the idea of taking an epic rpg, like Dragon Quest, and putting it on a portable system. It would be like Square saying Final Fantasy XIII is going to be on the PSP. I think it's great spin-offs like Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime, FFXII-2, etc. are being done for the portables and they should do more of them. DQIX belongs on a console not a portable, imo....and I don't care if it's the PS3(like most of you are implying) or the Wii.
Old 12-12-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The game won't be 60+hrs because it's a portable game w/multi-player, I said this before.
But you can't possibly know that. We don't know to what extent the multi-player is used.

Here's a quote by Horii himself:
Originally Posted by Horii
Those who are worrying about Dragon Quest losing its charm as a single player game needn't. You won't have to play the game with others. "We'd like to make an epic title that can be fully enjoyed when playing alone. I can't discuss the game content yet, but the fact that we attached IX to it means that we'll be making a game of the appropriate level.
Old 12-12-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Exactly, based on what's been said and shown you can say two things: 1. It's now an action-RPG with an online co-op mode. 2. It won't look and sound as good as a PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5 game. But to say the game is going to be "dumbed down," won't be as long or won't be "epic" are just baseless conclusions.

I don't know.. I'm just scratching my head at the sheer number of solid, concrete "this game will suck" opinions the internet kids have formed based on the VERY little that has been shown. It's quite bemusing at the very least.
Clearly everyone has been reading my posts wrong. In every post I've made for this game (go ahead and look at them) I've stated that I'm hoping it's a great game. All I'm saying is that they've taken the one franchise which is known for being a traditional RPG and doing it extremely well, and they're turning it into a multiplayer action/adventure/rpg'ish type of game. I will buy this game the day it hits stores regardless, but I would have been much happier if they kept the series doing what it has done so well in the past.
Old 12-12-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't really heard anyone proclaiming that it'll suck. Must be the circles you travel in

This reminds me that I need to play DQ8 though. I bought it but barely touched it.
Old 12-12-06, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a "portable" game. They're not going to make a 60hr+ RPG, especially one that is multiplayer, on a portable gaming device. Tell me, when was the last time you played a 60hr RPG on a portable? The game will not look as good or play as long had they done this for a console.
Pokemon disagrees with you.
Old 12-12-06, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Celpacius
Pokemon disagrees with you.
Pokemon
Old 12-12-06, 02:33 PM
Retired

Everyone has been saying all along that it won't look as good. That wasn't part of your original argument, which was focused on length.

And as others said, the DS could make it a 60+ hour game, but that doesn't mean they will.

At any rate, lets quit debating this and just wait and see what the game is like.
Old 12-12-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh, I think we all know by now if you want more objective opinions to look elsewhere. This forum is more a haven for fans that think makers can do no wrong and for most part love nearly everything with casual play Which can actually be a relief after coming from a board that has 80 pages now on how this is the end of gaming for hardcore fans, that japan is killing console play with non games and more support on handhelds etc.
Jury is still out but I say this is okay as long as X goes back to a console with epic upgrades to sound and overworld again, Wii would be great.
Old 12-12-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
It sounds to me like they want some quick cash, and what better way to do that than release a hotly anticipated game for a hot selling item that has a huge tie ratio.

That said, I'm there regardless.
Old 12-12-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the next DQ is going to the DS. Why not on the Wii, isn't the console selling well in Japan? I really don't liked playing on a portable because of the tiny screen. Wonder if Jessica be back, cause I would have trouble trying to see her Puff-Puff.
Old 12-12-06, 04:31 PM

I didn't read the thread because its mostly a lot whining going on. But from the jist of it, you are forgetting Dragon Quest VII (PSOne). That game was 100 hours long, and didn't need graphical flair to be good, it also was a lot more deep than DQVIII on the PS2. That said, the screens do look really nice, the DS is my all time favorite console ever, so I'm excited to hear this. A system where you can play Final Fantasy VI AND the newest Dragon Quest???? Gaming bliss

edit: Its hilarious to see all the hate on this, and more so on other forums. It is very much doable, and even more convenient and enjoyable, to play an RPG for a handheld device. I had my doubts once, then I bought Mario and Luigi, Final Fantasy V, Rocket Slime, Magical Starsign...

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-12-06 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It could be if you dragged it out that long but FF:TA is a rarity.
I ended FFTA at 115 hours, but I agree that most portable RPGs are in the 10-30 hour range. Then again, most console RPGs are, too.

I'm THRILLED by this announcement. I was afraid I would have to buy a PS3, which (like PixyJunket) I have zero interest in.
Old 12-12-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pokemon
The original game was most definitely an RPG and was a lot of fun. I haven't played any since then.
Old 12-12-06, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dom56
I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the next DQ is going to the DS. Why not on the Wii, isn't the console selling well in Japan? I really don't liked playing on a portable because of the tiny screen. Wonder if Jessica be back, cause I would have trouble trying to see her Puff-Puff.
Agreed. I would have much rather seen this on the Wii or the PS3. Not that I dislike portable RPG's it's just that I prefer playing epic RPG's like DQ, Final Fantasy, Grandia, etc. in my living room, on my TV and not on a little 2 inch screen. This is my preference and I'm not speaking for everyone. I understand a majority of you probably don't care if it's on a console or portable system and that's cool.

We'll see what the final product is but I'm fairly certain of the following....

1) Graphically it won't be as good as DQVIII nor will the sound and I don't know if there will be any spoken dialogue or not but I doubt it.

2) Game won't be as long as past DQ games, probably 1/2 the time because it's portable.

3) From the movies it's going to be an action-RPG. Turn based is gone...unless that movie is of Multiplayer mode only and single player is done classic DQ style.

The Level 5 team may surprise me and I hope they do but it still doesn't change the fact that this game is on the DS. Why not the Wii first and then do a spin-off on the DS that interacted with the Wii in some way??? Gahhh. Sadly, I'm disappointed with this news.
Old 12-12-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
There would probably be more complaints about the Wii, because of the change in control schemes... and the hospital bills from all the gamers who hurt their arms doing repetitive motions while killing slimes.

BTW, what's wrong with Pokemon?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.