Reload this Page >

Twilight Princess- Wii or Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-24-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a redundant thread, my apologies. I would like to see some discussion on the pros/cons of buying Twilight Princess for the Gamecube vs. the Wii. I think this thread would greatly benefit those of us on the fence about the Wii (for me, the question is financial) but really want to play Twilight Princess.

The game was supposed to be a Gamecube game from the start, but seems to have been delayed in order to make it a Wii launch title. I'm thankful to Nintendo for fulfilling its promise to the fans by releasing it for GC also.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm an avid Zelda fan, and virtually every review I've read is shouting that this game is vastly improved on the Wii, without mentioning if they've even tried it on the Gamecube. If I buy the Wii, Zelda is the only game I would buy on it for a long time, so I'd like to know if it's worth the 300.00+ investment for the game.

I think this thread could be helpful with questions like this- since the Wii also plays Gamecube games, will the Gamecube version of Zelda play the same on the Wii as the Wii version? I mean, of course, aside from the 16:9 support and right-handedness.
Old 11-24-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Many are loving it on the Wii, but it is a GameCube game and that will be the system I play it on in a couple of weeks. BTW, many Cube games are 16:9 so Nintendo crippling it on the Cube had nothing to do with a hardware limitation.

I would not buy a Wii just to play this game. Check out the other stuff and decide based on Wii Sports etc.
Old 11-24-06, 05:52 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
I plan on getting LoZ:TP for the GC (as a Christmas present for myself).

If there's a difference, I'll find out when I eventually get a Wii next Summer and borrow the game from a friend. In the meantime, I'm not going to sweat it.

Sorry that my post doesn't answer your question outright, just wanted to let you know that there is at least one person who's considering getting it for the GC.
Old 11-24-06, 06:20 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't buy a Wii solely for this game, but if you are interested in the Wii then definitely pick it up.

The control adds a lot of immersion to the game, and shelling out the extra $250 lets you take advantage the potential of the controller in the future as well as already announced upcoming games like Mario Galaxy, Warioware, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros: Braw etc.

But if you think the controller is gimmicky, or somehow aren't interested in any of the above titles, I'd just save the $250 and get the GC version.
Old 11-25-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies. I actually think the Wii controllers are really cool. I'm hoping to get more info about how the Wii and GC versions of Twilight Princess will differ, especially from users or reviewers who have actually tried both. I guess this will be more likely once the Cube version is released.

I still think it's an interesting question as to how the game will play if you use the Gamecube disc of Twilight Princess on the Wii, if it will be comparable to using the Wii disc since the Wii plays both kinds.

At this point, I'm leaning towards sticking with the Gamecube version and when Nintendo develops a Zelda for the Wii from the ground up in a couple years, the price will have come down and I can justify diving in.

Last edited by lamphorn; 11-25-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
I still think it's an interesting question as to how the game will play if you use the Gamecube disc of Twilight Princess on the Wii, if it will be comparable to using the Wii disc since the Wii plays both kinds.
Playing the Gamecube version of TP in the Wii will not be comparable to playing the Wii version of TP. The Gamecube version obviously doesn't support the Wii's motion-sensitive controller and it can't be played in 16:9 480p. I think the Gamecube version is "mirrored" as well meaning East is West and Left is Right. I think the reason for this is Link is traditionally a southpaw, but the Wii version made him a righty to more closely mimic the majority of people playing the game with a virtual sword.

I started a thread on this very topic a few months ago, and if I can find it again, I'll post a link. I don't recall if there was much more information than that, but maybe there'll be something useful. EDIT: found it - http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=465303
Old 11-26-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was skeptical, and the game won me over. I wouldn't want to play it any other way.
Old 11-27-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, slightly different question... I have a GC among other systems (xbox, 360, GBA's, etc) but have never played a Zelda game. I generally like dungeon crawler types of games along with action/rpg as long as its generally more action than RPG, with a good story line. I also like other types of games (shooters, etc).

My main question is, what's the learning curve and frustration factor in Twilight Princess? I've heard that other Zelda games have hours of sailing, fishing, etc. Does Twilight have this and are they required or side quests? I don't like to have to keep replaying sections of a game for hours and hours trying to get past something extremely frustrating, etc.

I don't mind putting a decent amount of time into games (just have to be able to do it in fairly small chunks of time, so frequent ability to save, etc is kind of important). I actually just went back and grabbed KOTOR again even though I'd played it all the way through and am replaying it on my 360.
Old 11-27-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm only about 16 or 17 hours into it (middle of 4th temple) and there hasn't been any major backtracking or frustration. You can save whenever and wherever you want.

You might have a bit of a learning curve never having played a Zelda before as many of the items and puzzles are second hand to the veterans. Just knowing when to use a bomb/clawshot/bow/etc is something I take for granted.

Great so far, I don't see how you could be disappointed. It is definitely an action/adventure game and not really an "rpg".
Old 11-27-06, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sniper308
Okay, slightly different question... I have a GC among other systems (xbox, 360, GBA's, etc) but have never played a Zelda game. I generally like dungeon crawler types of games along with action/rpg as long as its generally more action than RPG, with a good story line. I also like other types of games (shooters, etc).

My main question is, what's the learning curve and frustration factor in Twilight Princess? I've heard that other Zelda games have hours of sailing, fishing, etc. Does Twilight have this and are they required or side quests? I don't like to have to keep replaying sections of a game for hours and hours trying to get past something extremely frustrating, etc.

I don't mind putting a decent amount of time into games (just have to be able to do it in fairly small chunks of time, so frequent ability to save, etc is kind of important). I actually just went back and grabbed KOTOR again even though I'd played it all the way through and am replaying it on my 360.

I haven't played TP yet, but as far as the complaints about sailing go, that was just in The Wind Waker, which is easily my pick for the weakest game in the series, by far. The other Zelda games don't have that level of backtracking and just sitting there doing nothing for long stretches of time.

The level of difficulty shouldn't be that bad. They toned it down way too much in TWW. Every enemy in the game did very small amounts of damage, and they dropped way too many health items when killed. Many people, myself included, managed to make it through the game without even coming close to dying. From what I've read about TP, the enemies still do very little damage, so the frustration factor shouldn't be that high. If anything, I imagine that you'd be more frustrated by the puzzles, since you wouldn't be used to the Zelda "style" of puzzles like the rest of us.
Old 11-27-06, 08:36 AM
Retired

The first 2-3 hours (until you get to the first dungeon, time depends on how long it takes you to figure stuff out in the village) may be a bit slow for some, as it's a lot of puzzles and tutorial type stuff and not much action.

After that it picks up and doesn't really let up. There are some less action oriented segments between dungeons, and a lot of exploration/puzzle solving in the game, but it is a good balance of action and exploration IMO. But it is not an action game. It's very much more of an RPG where you just have control over the battles.
Old 11-27-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was all set to get this on the Cube, but the reviews I've seen all talk about how "perfect" it feels playing with the Wiimote and not being able to imagine playing it any other way.

I like Zelda games, but I'm not pressed, so I will probably wait until I get a Wii sometime in the next year to get this instead of just picking it up on the Cube as I planned.
Old 11-27-06, 01:38 PM

playing it now on wii but plan to eventually pick it up for the gc
Old 11-27-06, 04:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodoubt
playing it now on wii but plan to eventually pick it up for the gc
I could understand vice versa, if you were waiting on a Wii, but why play the GC version *after* the Wii version?
Old 11-27-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The first 2-3 hours (until you get to the first dungeon, time depends on how long it takes you to figure stuff out in the village) may be a bit slow for some, as it's a lot of puzzles and tutorial type stuff and not much action.

After that it picks up and doesn't really let up. There are some less action oriented segments between dungeons, and a lot of exploration/puzzle solving in the game, but it is a good balance of action and exploration IMO. But it is not an action game. It's very much more of an RPG where you just have control over the battles.

Thanks guys for the info... am considering asking the in-laws for Twilight Princess for the GC for Christmas... sounds like I'll be doing so, unless I ask them for Gears of War for the 360 :-). I'd like to pick up a Wii but it won't be this year... so I'll probably ask for TP for the cube.

Thanks again.

Last edited by sniper308; 11-27-06 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 02:02 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
According to this thread, Circuit City will have the Gamecube version for $37.99 on Dec 12 @ 5 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a Wii just for this game. After playing it, I can't imagine going back to the GC. The controls just work so damn well on the Wii.
Old 12-09-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I bought a Wii just for this game. After playing it, I can't imagine going back to the GC. The controls just work so damn well on the Wii.
Agreed. For anyone that doubts this upon initial playing, give it some time. It took me about 4-5 hours of gameplay to even like playing it Wii-style...now, I couldn't see myself playing Zelda another way. It's just fantastic.
Old 12-10-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't buy the Wii for Zelda but Zelda is the only Wii game that I wanted right now. My wife wanted the system so Zelda was my first pick for the game I wanted. My friend is going to get the GC version for Xmas and I almost don't want him to play my Wii version because I think the controls work so well that he might have a harder time enjoying his version of the game. I'm not very far at all into TP but I am enjoying the game and controls a great deal.
Old 12-11-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just had a disappointing chat with the guy at EB Games about the Gamecube Zelda. I've been planning on picking it up tomorrow, but he told me that they're only getting 12 units and way more preorders so they won't even be able to fill their preorders, much less stock the shelves. He said pretty much every store is the same story. His explanation was "They're trying to make people get Wii's, which is weird since they're not in the stores either!"

I'm finding myself increasingly disenchanted with Nintendo these days. As huge a release as this game is, as long as it's been awaited and delayed, to make the game so rare and unattainable, and also to make the new console impossible to get without Mission Impossible-style reconossaince and hours of camping out makes me wonder if it's even worth it. Back the the Wind Waker with me!
Old 12-11-06, 08:31 PM
Retired

Sucks if true, but I'll wait to hear if it's actually hard to find at the big box stores before taking the EB drone's word for it.
Old 12-11-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why I'm glad I have the Cube version (present for my father-in-law, who's been waiting for this game for years) preordered and paid for. Can't wait to pick it up Friday.
Old 12-11-06, 11:38 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by abrg923
That's why I'm glad I have the Cube version (present for my father-in-law, who's been waiting for this game for years) preordered and paid for. Can't wait to pick it up Friday.

You're glad because apparently they aren't getting enough to fill all preorders in some cases.
Old 12-11-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just read on a site that the Gamecube version has free-moving camera control on the C-stick and that the Wii version does not have a way to freely look around. For those with the Wii version: is this true? This alone would cement my choice of the Gamecube version... if I can get my hands on one.

(I closed the window so I don't have a link right now, but if I find it I'll post it)
Old 12-12-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You don't need a free camera for Zelda, its unnecessary because of Z targeting. I didn't even realize the game didn't have a free camera, its fine the way it is. It took me awhile to get used to it, a few hours, but Wii controls for Zelda are AWESOME . Fishing, aiming, sword fighting, gaming greatness.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.