Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Zelda Gamecube vs Zelda Wii

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Zelda Gamecube vs Zelda Wii

Ok, so we all thought Zelda was going to be a single SKU on a GC disc with Wii features. The fact they're releasing 2 different versions tells us there is obviously some technical difficulty with the Wii features on a GC disc. Whether that's simply size limitations of the disc or, more likely, getting GC-runnable code using the Wii APIs. And since they've promised it'll be on the GC, they've sorta painted themselves into a corner and thereby requiring both versions.

While I'm sure I'd rather have the Wii version, I've had my GC pre-order in for a year or so. I'm curious if the Wii version will retain the GC control scheme as well, making the GC absolutely worthless to anyone with a Wii. If not, I worry that maybe I'll end up wanting the GC version instead. Or, worst case, in addition to if they put GC-only features on it.

I guess the point of this thread is to have a place for information relating to the differences or commonalities between the two versions.

Of those of you that have pre-ordered, what's your plan now? Keeping it, not getting a Wii at launch, switching to Wii, or going for both? At this point, I can't imagine anyone going for both unless they confirm some GC-only feature, such as traditional controls. I just don't know what to do yet...
Old 05-13-06, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Wii version is 16:9. That's reason enough for me to get it. I'd sell my Cube but I can't get much for it.
Old 05-13-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since I'm getting a Wii at launch I'm getting the Wii version. From the interviews I've read, the Wii version is the one to get. I'll have to change my preorder at Gamerush but it shouldn't be a problem, going to be awhile since the game comes out.
Old 05-13-06, 02:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll get the Wii version. I don't preorder games so no issues for me their, and the Wii controller features look pretty sweet.
Old 05-13-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately I prebought the Cube version a long time ago at Blockbuster so I'm stuck with the Cube. However, I think there is a good chance that version will be 480p and 16X9 as well.
Old 05-13-06, 06:54 PM
Retired

Blockbuster would probably let you exchange them if you don't open it. If not, just take it to Wal-mart and swap it out. I'd be shocked if they refused. Just say you bought the wrong version and lost the receipt.
Old 05-13-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Blockbuster would probably let you exchange them if you don't open it. If not, just take it to Wal-mart and swap it out. I'd be shocked if they refused. Just say you bought the wrong version and lost the receipt.
If they both retail for the same price that is probably what I will try. Heck, if I have to pay $10 extra I'll probably still try it.
Old 05-13-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anybody think the GC version will have features the Wii one won't? The only possible things I can think of are traditional controls and extra content/bonus features (and I'm not counting a 4:3 screen a feature ). Or, are we sure the Wii version will also support traditional controls just in case the Wii control is not preferred?
Old 05-13-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been wondering if the Wii version has any graphic upgrades.
Old 05-13-06, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got a pre-order on the GC version, but as soon as we get the Wii SKU, it's moving over. I'm willing to bet the Wii version will support the regular control scheme, since I doubt they're remaking it from the ground up.
Old 05-14-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I too will be getting the Wii version - though I'm waiting to hear what the final price of the Wii is before deciding for sure.
Old 05-14-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was listening to the 1up podcast (I think) and most of them speculated they would prefer to play the GC verison due to the assumption that the controls would be better (more traditional) in that version.
Old 05-14-06, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

From what I've seen, the Wii version looks sweet. I read that the controls are totally fluid once you get used to them...which is pretty much the case with all Wii games right now. I don't even know why they're putting this out for the GC to be honest with you...anyone who has a GC is probably going to be getting a Wii anyway.
Old 05-14-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by squaredeals
From what I've seen, the Wii version looks sweet. I read that the controls are totally fluid once you get used to them...which is pretty much the case with all Wii games right now. I don't even know why they're putting this out for the GC to be honest with you...anyone who has a GC is probably going to be getting a Wii anyway.
Not everyone buys a new system at launch though. All the people that bought a cube in the past year or so will likely stick with it another year, so I'm sure getting Zelda will be a treat.
Old 05-14-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
I was listening to the 1up podcast (I think) and most of them speculated they would prefer to play the GC verison due to the assumption that the controls would be better (more traditional) in that version.
I thought I remember reading that most Wii games will have an alternate control scheme that will allow you to use a gamecube controller. If that's true, then there's really no point in buying the GC version.
Old 05-15-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I thought I remember reading that most Wii games will have an alternate control scheme that will allow you to use a gamecube controller. If that's true, then there's really no point in buying the GC version.
I have read that same thing as well. Would be nice to be able to continue to use my Wavebirds for more conventional gameplay esp when running GC games on the Wii.
Old 05-15-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I plan to get a Wii at launch (pending price, of course) I'll get the Wii version of Zelda.
Old 05-15-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm planning on picking up a Wii at launch along with the Wii version of Zelda.
Old 05-15-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by squaredeals
I don't even know why they're putting this out for the GC to be honest with you...anyone who has a GC is probably going to be getting a Wii anyway.
It's probably because they insisted that they would release it for GC. It was far enough along, so why not?
Old 05-15-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd really like to see a comparison feature (from IGN or somebody) between the two versions graphically.
Old 05-15-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd really like to see a comparison feature (from IGN or somebody) between the two versions graphically.
Agreed, as I haven't seen any comments about the graphics. You'd think they'd want to make some upgrades, but I haven't seen anything.
Old 05-15-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
Agreed, as I haven't seen any comments about the graphics. You'd think they'd want to make some upgrades, but I haven't seen anything.
From what I've read, the Wii version will at least be 16x9 480p whereas the Gamecube version will be 4x3 480p.
Old 05-15-06, 02:47 PM

I didn't get to try it at E3, but my good friend did. He thought it played very poorly on the Wii, and if the controls stay they way they are right now, he'd get the GC version.

I'm not entirely surprised to hear this, after my experience playing the DS Zelda at E3. (which I posted about in the DS thread) I'm sorry, but certain games just need more buttons. Not everything can be simplified to using only a button or two.
Old 05-15-06, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did Nintendo say the Wii version will have only wiimote controls? Or do we not know if you can plug in a GC controller and play it old-school style?
Old 05-16-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's an interview with Nintnedo's Perrin Kaplan on Joystiq and this little tidbit caught my eye:

Joystiq: One of the developers said at the event where it was unveiled (about Super Smash Bros. Brawl), "Don't throw away your GameCube controllers." That would imply that maybe --

PK: That would apply to Zelda too, and Virtual Console games...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.