Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before shipping out more units they should really fix that 1080p Syncing problem from some tvs
Old 12-11-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious, do the PS3 demos have 5.1 sound?
Old 12-12-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone know if there are any problems with using the PS3 in a vertical orientation? I know it was designed to work fine that way, but I remember reading about the PS2 scratching discs when it wasn't flat. I have an area on my floor next to my TV stand where my PS3 will fit, but only if it's on its side.
Old 12-12-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts
Ok, quick question. I found out that if I wanted to say move the PS3 from a room with HDMI connection to a room with a component connection, you have to manually set it up in the PS3 settings. Is there a way around this? It's almost like I have to plug the PS3 in on one setting, change to another, and while the screen goes black for 30 seconds quickly switch to the new setting. It's a real pain in the ass, and I hope there is a way around it.

Any ideas?
Old 12-12-06, 02:57 AM

Somewhat funny story...I was at the Target store in downtown Miami two days ago. There was a printed out sign that said "SORRY WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PS3s IN STOCK" posted on the glass display case. And what was right under it? A new PS3 20GB that was partially hidden by a huge poster for some game.
Old 12-12-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Quick question for those who downloaded the Motorstorm demo AND have played it in stores? Is the framerate on the new demo still sluggish? I played it in-store and the framerate was unacceptable, along the lines of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on the 360.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't played both, but the demo on the Playstation Network seemed to run fluid. I don't even remember a single time where the framerate dropped.
Old 12-12-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are the demos in 5.1 sound? I don't think they are, but I just wanted to make sure my sound is hooked up correctly. (Tried NBA 07 and MotorStorm)
Old 12-12-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am pretty sure it is on a demo by demo basis. I tried the Resistance demo and believe that it was in 5.1, however Motorstorm was not.
Old 12-12-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...that is what I wanted to know. Just that MotorStorm was not 5.1. I ASSumed it would be and got myself an optical switch, but I realized I don't even need it now.
Old 12-12-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Quick question for those who downloaded the Motorstorm demo AND have played it in stores? Is the framerate on the new demo still sluggish? I played it in-store and the framerate was unacceptable, along the lines of Need for Speed: Most Wanted on the 360.

Thanks!
The one in stores is definitely more sluggish.
Old 12-12-06, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdshort
Anyone know if there are any problems with using the PS3 in a vertical orientation? I know it was designed to work fine that way, but I remember reading about the PS2 scratching discs when it wasn't flat. I have an area on my floor next to my TV stand where my PS3 will fit, but only if it's on its side.
My PS2 never had any problems with it being vertical I would even move it while I was playing a game and nothing ever happened. Same with the PS3 it will work fine standing up but for right now im too scared to try moving it while its on. With them in such limited supply and all

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Ok, quick question. I found out that if I wanted to say move the PS3 from a room with HDMI connection to a room with a component connection, you have to manually set it up in the PS3 settings. Is there a way around this? It's almost like I have to plug the PS3 in on one setting, change to another, and while the screen goes black for 30 seconds quickly switch to the new setting. It's a real pain in the ass, and I hope there is a way around it.

Any ideas?
Im not sure I completely understood what you were asking (my fault) but if its about resolutions then what you do is hold down the power button till it beeps a second time after the inital beep. It will reset the resolution to 480. If you have component hooked up then you will be able to see the screen and you can then proceed the changing the resolution to whatever you want it on. If its hdmi then you have to connect the composite cables at the same time as the hdmi to be able to see the screen. Hope this helps if I was in any way confusing or gave you the wrong answer just let me know.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Somewhat funny story...I was at the Target store in downtown Miami two days ago. There was a printed out sign that said "SORRY WE DO NOT HAVE ANY PS3s IN STOCK" posted on the glass display case. And what was right under it? A new PS3 20GB that was partially hidden by a huge poster for some game.
Lol I wonder how many people passed by that case saw the sign and just went to another store. Good eye, hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 12-12-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 09:18 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Likely a stupid question, but I will ask regardless. I wanted to set up the PS3 before X-mas, so I connected it and did the most recent update. However, in my haste I only set up one user and one PSN profile/master account. I think keeping one user will work for us, but I do need to create a couple of sub-accounts. I saw the option to do so when I created the first one, but not when I went back into the settings. Where do I do this?

(Basically, I need my sons to have their own profiles, but I want override control. Is my thinking of how to do this correct?)

Thanks.
Old 12-12-06, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Likely a stupid question, but I will ask regardless. I wanted to set up the PS3 before X-mas, so I connected it and did the most recent update. However, in my haste I only set up one user and one PSN profile/master account. I think keeping one user will work for us, but I do need to create a couple of sub-accounts. I saw the option to do so when I created the first one, but not when I went back into the settings. Where do I do this?

(Basically, I need my sons to have their own profiles, but I want override control. Is my thinking of how to do this correct?)

Thanks.
Ok, In the menu on the far left icon, when you go to that it lists your user name for the system if you press up you will go to a "create new user" icon. Choose that then create an user name for one of your sons. then, Once you have created that user name choose it so its the one that is logged in then go to the far right icon and choose "setup network account" Now go through the registration and when you come up to the choice of "Master account" or "Sub Account" choose whichever you want but just know that you can only have 2 "Master Accounts" Once you complete the online registration under you son's user name you can repeat everything for your other son(s).

Please let me know if you need any more help. Hope this helps!
Old 12-13-06, 12:49 AM
Suspended

PS3 Firmware Update 1.31

Firmware update version 1.31 has just been released here is the link to the release notes which will be up on 12/13 and Ill post them here as soon as its available.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates
Old 12-13-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to say, the title that impressed me the most so far was the new Untold Legends. After playing the game for 15 minutes, it really made me want to get a PS3, and actually keep one for a change
Old 12-13-06, 08:56 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
Ok, In the menu on the far left icon, when you go to that it lists your user name for the system if you press up you will go to a "create new user" icon. Choose that then create an user name for one of your sons. then, Once you have created that user name choose it so its the one that is logged in then go to the far right icon and choose "setup network account" Now go through the registration and when you come up to the choice of "Master account" or "Sub Account" choose whichever you want but just know that you can only have 2 "Master Accounts" Once you complete the online registration under you son's user name you can repeat everything for your other son(s).

Please let me know if you need any more help. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I will try it once nobody is home.

I knew I could create new users, but was not sure if I could create new/multiple PSN profiles under the same user. I now realise one can not. The instructions weren't very clear as to whether I could under my user account and then assign the new profile to a new user or not.
Old 12-13-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
I have to say, the title that impressed me the most so far was the new Untold Legends. After playing the game for 15 minutes, it really made me want to get a PS3, and actually keep one for a change
No offense, but after the Phantasy Star Universe thing and now Untold Legends... You have a strange taste in games . But I guess you have to go with whats fun to ya.
Old 12-13-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i see it more as surrpassing my expectations 10 fold, compared to its 2 predeccesors for the PSP. I checked or Resistance : Fall of Man, and it was pretty un-eventful.
Old 12-13-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
Has anyone with a PS3 tried the PS2 backwards compatibility yet? I found this video via digg, and they're saying that all PS2 games look like crap on the PS3 due to resolution scaling or something like that. They've got some split screen footage of FF12 on both systems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs
Old 12-13-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts
I was just coming here to post that - what the hell is going on with this system?

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IoCD9TwLrVs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 12-13-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes.

Better hold on to my PS2 then.
Old 12-13-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I was just coming here to post that - what the hell is going on with this system?
Wow, that's horrible. They should just run at their original resolution, in my opinion.
Old 12-13-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, and I was planning on finally playing all those PS2 titles that I missed out on until good ps3 games come out
Old 12-13-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Someone pointed out on Digg that if you could easily see how bad it looked on YouTube, with their janky compression, that it was a SERIOUS problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.