Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 02:19 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
I thought plasmas don't get burn in.
They don't.

Even in torch mode, you would have a hell of a time getting anything to burn in. It's a myth, especially with today's plasmas.
Old 12-01-06, 02:43 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
They don't.

Even in torch mode, you would have a hell of a time getting anything to burn in. It's a myth, especially with today's plasmas.
please, admit you're exaggerating. Any phospor based display fades as it is used. Sure they're better than they used to be.

Also, manufacturers spell out in the warranty that 'burn in' will not be covered. Why would they say this if it is a 'nonexistant' problem.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 12-01-06 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
please, admit you're exaggerating. Any phospor based display fades as it is used. Sure they're better than they used to be.

Also, manufacturers spell out in the warranty that 'burn in' will not be covered. Why would they say this if it is a 'nonexistant' problem.
Burn-in is most definitely real. And not just with older plasmas, but with new ones. 3 people I know bought plasmas from Costco within the last 6 months, all different models. All 3 have returned them for an exchange due to burn-in. One is a gamer and had burn in from playing Bejeweled 2 over an extended time. Another is a newshound who got burn in from the fixed crawls on cable news channels.
Old 12-01-06, 03:06 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Anyway if those people want 'zoom', their own damn TV should be able to do it
Old 12-01-06, 04:35 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
please, admit you're exaggerating.
I'm not and assumed everyone (here) would know it's a (mostly) a myth.

If a set is properly calibrated (and not running 100% brightness), it takes about 2 days of a static image to get burn in. And playing non-static images will un-do the burn-in.

Burn-in as permenant damage is a myth.

I can point you to numerous sources, but I guess you can find anything on the internet. Here is a paper by an independent source (IDC) on plasma myths (including burn-in):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

There are plenty of anecdotal stories, but that doesn't make this myth true.

From the article above:

Unlike early generation plasmas, where those type of images would not go away and could actually "burn" onto the screen, modern plasma TVs enjoy a combination of more robust screen materials and subtle image-shifting technologies that have rendered this former issue moot.
Unless you think that IDC, an independent company who looked at this issue, is lying?

Last edited by mbs; 12-01-06 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
While it's much less common than earlier plasma's there are still reports everyday of plasma burn-in, much of this is just image retention that goes away in a few hours/days, but it is still an issue.

Personally, I went LCD over plasma, because if I'm going to spend over $1000 for anything I dont want to have to deal with break-in periods, and worry over how long I watch something, for that kind of money I expect some piece of mind for my purchase.
Old 12-01-06, 06:08 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

"breaking in" a plasma screen is just preemptive burning. Anyway, we shouldnt talk about this in this thread.
Old 12-03-06, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up to any VP fans, but there's a free Viva Pinata gamer pic available on the marketplace. 2 days only.
Old 12-03-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,174 Posts
I haven't bought the Burger King games yet but i'll tell you one thing...the tv commercials are pretty funny.
Old 12-03-06, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
They don't.

Not true. I have a new plasma and have a small burn in from the GOW gun symbol at the top right of my screen. It makes me f-ing sick because I was so damn carful about burn in, yet I still got it. I haven't turned on my Xbox since and will be playing it on old 4:3 tv from now on. I wish I never got a plasma, plus my Panasonic doesn't even have a white wash feature that many other plasma's have. So I'm pretty much screwed.
Old 12-03-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Not true. I have a new plasma and have a small burn in from the GOW gun symbol at the top right of my screen. It makes me f-ing sick because I was so damn carful about burn in, yet I still got it. I haven't turned on my Xbox since and will be playing it on old 4:3 tv from now on. I wish I never got a plasma, plus my Panasonic doesn't even have a white wash feature that many other plasma's have. So I'm pretty much screwed.
but that is still an anecdotal story that doesn't jive with "independent studies" and you have no proof.

Originally Posted by mbs
I'm not and assumed everyone (here) would know it's a (mostly) a myth.

There are plenty of anecdotal stories, but that doesn't make this myth true.

Unless you think that IDC, an independent company who looked at this issue, is lying?
Old 12-03-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turn on the burn-in protection screen for 10 minutes - that will clear it up.

edit: d'oh didn't notice you said your Panny doesn't have the option. Which is WHACK. My Samsung has 2 flavors of burn in wipe out. All white and a gradient black to white.
Old 12-03-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which Panasonic do you have?
Old 12-03-06, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by eatntae
Which Panasonic do you have?
TH-50PX60U

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
but that is still an anecdotal story that doesn't jive with "independent studies" and you have no proof.
I did not read that study, nor am I'm trying to debunk it. I'm just sharing my personal experience with a plasma that did not turn out well. Also I never tried to pass it off as anything but anecdotal. So laugh all you want, I don't care if you believe me. My screen has burn in, or better put "after image". Simple as that.
Old 12-04-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's interesting. I didn't think the Plasma burn-in was real. Now I know it can happen.
Old 12-04-06, 12:39 AM
mbs

So I'm pretty much screwed.
How long has it been since the image was burned in? Have you been watching a lot of TV or movies since? It should disappear with time (12-24 hours of movie viewing). Or is even that making it not go away?

Last edited by mbs; 12-04-06 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-04-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by mbs
How long has it been since the image was burned in? Have you been watching a lot of TV or movies since? It should disappear with time (12-24 hours of movie viewing). Or is even that making it not go away?
I've had the burn in for close to a week now. I've been watching a lot of 1.85:1 movies, (so the whole screen is filled), to try and fade it. It has worked a bit, but not much. You can really see the gun symbol whenever the screen is light such as in a shot of the sky, or snow. But when the screen is dark, it's hard to make out. So it's not awful, awful...but it just bothers me because I know it's there and find my eye lingering on it everytime I watch a film.

What's really messed up was that the actual GOW scoreboard that shows up after each game was also lightly burned in too, but I've pretty much gotten rid of that by watching all the movies. That's what I don't get. It's not like I ever left the that screen up for more than it took to get a game started, yet it burned in along with the gun symbol. And there was easily a 20-30 minute game between the scoreboards, yet it still got lightly burned in. And it was not ghosting, I know what that is and this was burn in.

I also used to play COD2 for much longer periods then I did Gears when the plasma was really new, but none of those static images ever burned in. Neither did the black bars from 2.35:1 films that stayed in the same spot for 90 minutes, or the Xbox dashboard that stayed static while I downloaded the Rainbow 6 Demo. I just don't get it. Why would only the Gears stuff burn in and not everything else if my plasma is so sensitive? I had read up on burn in and knew that you had to keep a static image up for a really, really long time for burn in to set it, but that was not the case with my system. Maybe I'm the only plasma owner to have this problem and all the other units are fine. But even though this is anecdotal, it still happened.
Old 12-04-06, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Run the "Burn-in" disc from AVSForums...I bet it goes away after a couple hours.

Also, is your TV professionally calibrated? Not playing in Vivid are you?
Old 12-04-06, 05:29 AM

Yep, it's professionally calibrated and I'm not playing in Vivid. Is there a link to that "Burn-in" disc you mentioned? I just ran an advanced search over at AVS and couldn't find anything.

And back on topic to Xbox stuff. So are any of you guys going to go for the Halo 3 Beta? I don't want to sign up in case I hate the game and am stuck testing it for all that time. I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but I'm hoping I dig Part 3.

Last edited by Eric D.; 12-04-06 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-04-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, it's professionally calibrated and I'm not playing in Vivid. Is there a link to that "Burn-in" disc you mentioned? I just ran an advanced search over at AVS and couldn't find anything.

And back on topic to Xbox stuff. So are any of you guys going to go for the Halo 3 Beta? I don't want to sign up in case I hate the game and am stuck testing it for all that time. I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but I'm hoping I dig Part 3.
Sorry, it's actually called the "Break in disc". DVD Image here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6230381

Good luck, hopefully it is just some long term image retention.

Also, I don't know how old it is, but Plasma's are definitely more susceptible to burn-in in their first 1000 hours.

It is a shame that in order to come close to a CRTs level of quality you need to be concerned about burn in.
Old 12-04-06, 06:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by flashburn
Good luck, hopefully it is just some long term image retention.

It is a shame that in order to come close to a CRTs level of quality you need to be concerned about burn in.
Not "image retention" but actual decomposition of the phospor in the cells. Like a light bulb, that area of the screen will never be as bright at it once was. It a sad consolation that you have to 'burn the rest of your screen' with white to at least make it match, but of course dim the whole screen permanently in the process. As long as you dont have another screen side by side you wont notice its less bright anyway so its better than nothing.

And actually lots of the RP televisions out there are closer than plasmas to 'crt quality'. If youre in the market for a new display its worth more research than that.
Old 12-04-06, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts
TH-50PX60U

I did not read that study, nor am I'm trying to debunk it. I'm just sharing my personal experience with a plasma that did not turn out well. Also I never tried to pass it off as anything but anecdotal. So laugh all you want, I don't care if you believe me. My screen has burn in, or better put "after image". Simple as that.
Whoa... easy there Doc. I was on your side. I was being sarcastic regarding mbs's claims.
Old 12-04-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must be lucky. I'm always thinking, "HOW?" when I read about plasma burn-in. I'm on my second one (current = 2 month old Panasonic TH-50PH9UK) and I've never seen a sign of retention or burn-in on either one.

Is the brightness turned down?
Old 12-04-06, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Whoa... easy there Doc. I was on your side. I was being sarcastic regarding mbs's claims.
My bad, didn't catch that. Sorry. I've been up late writing papers for my finals and was not able to catch the sarcasm. Didn't mean to come off harsh man.
Old 12-04-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

anyone have any issues like this?

http://forums.xbox.com/8527831/ShowPost.aspx

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.