Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freakjae
Yeah, one time use. They'll replace the machine but it'll cost another $50 for a replacement warranty. It's good for 2 years total, not in addition to a manf. warranty unfortunately.
Not exactly.

First, as someone who works at Best Buy, I should remind you that it is not an extended warranty, but a Replacement Plan

A) They upped the price of the Premium 360 PRP to $59

B) It is UNLIMITED replacements during the manufacturer's warranty period, and then a one time use after that. I don't know off the top of my head what MS offers out of the box on the 360, but say it's a year, you get unlimited replacements during that year, then any replacement after that would use up the PRP and you would have to buy a new one on your replacement.
Old 11-30-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JChaos
Not exactly.

First, as someone who works at Best Buy, I should remind you that it is not an extended warranty, but a Replacement Plan
Once you replace it, you have a different serial number. Isn't that why people have been blocked by the one-time thing?
Old 11-30-06, 03:07 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The regular manufacturer warranty is only 90 days Im pretty sure.
Old 11-30-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts
Originally Posted by JChaos
B) It is UNLIMITED replacements during the manufacturer's warranty period, and then a one time use after that.
Right. So after 90 days it is one and done. Just like everyone is posting. It's a rip. Shitty refurbs aside, the MS plan is still a better way to go. Best Buy is a fucking rip.
Old 11-30-06, 04:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Right. So after 90 days it is one and done. Just like everyone is posting. It's a rip. Shitty refurbs aside, the MS plan is still a better way to go. Best Buy is a fucking rip.
So basically M$ gives a crappy 90 day warranty, thus making people more likely to buy their replacement plan? Niiiiiiice.

And I'm assuming you have to ship your defective unit before you get the new one? Meaning you'd be out a 360 for a couple weeks anyways? (Though it'd give me a good excuse to do something constructive at night. )
Old 11-30-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
So basically M$ gives a crappy 90 day warranty, thus making people more likely to buy their replacement plan? Niiiiiiice.
Nintendo gives you 12 months out of the box on the Wii and then an additional 3 for free if you register it online. Microsoft really shafted their customers this way (or simply covered their asses).
Old 11-30-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Costco is the way to go.
Old 11-30-06, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nintendo gives you 12 months out of the box on the Wii and then an additional 3 for free if you register it online. Microsoft really shafted their customers this way (or simply covered their asses).

Sony also gives a 1 years warranty. I also found that Microsoft warranty 90 day warranty only applies to the U.S. and Canada, so who knows what other countries get. But to me it's pretty much a moot point to buy a extension on the warranty since I want coverage into year 2 or 3.
Old 11-30-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Xbox 360

Blue Dragon (Microsoft): 9, 9, 9, 10 - (37/40)

Well at least the land of the rising sun has something to look forward to.
Old 11-30-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242

Biiiiig deeeeaaal

While MS's initial way of handling this hasn't been the best right from jump, I think in most cases they've tried to be flexible about everything going on. Giving rebates to Launch system owners who payed for repairs and such is one example.

Hell, when I called to get my ext warr I was shocked to find out that they were actually covering me "right out of the box" for longer than the 90 day warr and that the ext warr wouldn't even start until that period was up whic is great. So unless my math is off I'm covered for 2 years and some change.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-30-06 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Apollo
Sony also gives a 1 years warranty. I also found that Microsoft warranty 90 day warranty only applies to the U.S. and Canada, so who knows what other countries get. But to me it's pretty much a moot point to buy a extension on the warranty since I want coverage into year 2 or 3.
Who cares? That's one of the few perks we North Americans have left in this day and age.
Old 11-30-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Xbox 360

Blue Dragon (Microsoft): 9, 9, 9, 10 - (37/40)

Well at least the land of the rising sun has something to look forward to.
Pretty impressive. I remember something about bundles of the 360 + Blue Dragon actually selling in Japan, so hopefully the 360 starts doing better over there.
Old 11-30-06, 10:57 PM
Mok

Is Blue Dragon going to cost more since it is 3 discs ?
Old 11-30-06, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mok
Is Blue Dragon going to cost more since it is 3 discs ?
I highly doubt it. None of the multidisc PS1 and Gamecube games had higher retail prices.
Old 11-30-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's some Famitsu details on Lost Planet:

Just wanted to share some great news we’ve received from our Japanese office regarding the positive Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Single Player Mode) review that ran in the newest issue of Famitsu Xbox 360 Magazine. Here’s a translation of their reviews!

Extremely impressive throughout, from the real-time-rendered opening cutscenes to the impossibly huge enemies. Effects like snow and explosions are wonderful. Top-rate action shooter. The constant tension throughout as well as the balanced difficulty levels are on par with Capcom’s greatest. Battles are way intense! Score: 9

Brings to life a strange planet with powerful graphics that take full advantage of the Xbox 360’s capabilities. Gameplay stays true to its action roots, with nice learning and difficulty curves. Everything a great game should be. No complaints. Highly recommended. Score: 9

Great mix of action and shooter gameplay elements. Requires offensive and defensive strategies and strategic use of terrain. Plenty of depth. Snow and ice effects rendered beautifully and are a joy to look at. However, the action lacks a bit in the speed department, and the thrill or satisfaction is a little thin. Difficulty is a bit steep. Aimed at action game fans. Score: 8

The overwhelming size of the giant creatures along with the beautiful outdoor locations that are clear as far as the eye can see are truly impressive. The visuals are the high point, but the story lacks. The online multiplayer mode, where you go battle on foot or in giant walking machines, promises a lot of great fun. Score: 8
Old 12-01-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 320 Posts
Has anyone else been having major problems with the silver X button on their controller getting stuck all the time - I'll be playing a game, and I keep getting booted into the dashboard, because the silver button has been depressed since I turned on the machine, but it's hard to tell, because it doesn't take much for it to go in and get stuck. It's really fucking annoying.
Old 12-01-06, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Has anyone else been having major problems with the silver X button on their controller getting stuck all the time - I'll be playing a game, and I keep getting booted into the dashboard, because the silver button has been depressed since I turned on the machine, but it's hard to tell, because it doesn't take much for it to go in and get stuck. It's really fucking annoying.

Never had that problem nor read about that in one of the problem threads.
Old 12-01-06, 10:32 AM
Mok

I download Unforgiven off the Market place the other day, and when I sat down to watch it the aspect ratio is all screwed up. Instead a 2:35:1 it's cropped to 1:85:1 kind of like some HD Cable channels do. I also checked over at the Xbox forums and this was done intentionally by the studio. They feel people don't like seeing those black bars and complain to much. Oh brother when will they learn.
Old 12-01-06, 10:39 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by slop101
Never had that problem. Are you touching it on accident? Otherwise try a different controller.
Old 12-01-06, 11:52 AM

Strange. So before this update I watching hd dvd over VGA and it wasnt 1080p? Now this enables it?
Old 12-01-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
I download Unforgiven off the Market place the other day, and when I sat down to watch it the aspect ratio is all screwed up. Instead a 2:35:1 it's cropped to 1:85:1 kind of like some HD Cable channels do. I also checked over at the Xbox forums and this was done intentionally by the studio. They feel people don't like seeing those black bars and complain to much. Oh brother when will they learn.
Yeah, it's a shame...there are people over on CheapAssGamer bitching that most HDVD's have the black bars...they are like, I want a ZOOM function. horrible.
Old 12-01-06, 12:02 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

to be fair, the 'black bars' are unhealthy for a plasma screen.

Which is a reason I never got one
Old 12-01-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
to be fair, the 'black bars' are unhealthy for a plasma screen.

Which is a reason I never got one
Sure, if you have a 5 year old plasma.
Old 12-01-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Sure, if you have a 5 year old plasma.
...or a 6 month old plasma.
Old 12-01-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts
I thought plasmas don't get burn in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.