Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EBGames to cancel PS3 eBay preorders?!?!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

From the Evil Avatar forums.

Today during a conference call, managers of EB Games stores in Canada were told that a list is being made of all pre-orders for Playstation 3's that have been posted for sale on eBay. Lists will be distributed to individual stores and all pre-orders that have appeared on eBay will be canceled by EB in the very near future. According to the information I've been given, this is a joint initiative between EB Games, Sony and eBay. eBay's new policy regarding pre-order sales has made this possible by requiring that all pre-order listings include a photo of the receipt.
Ok, this could just be a rumor but if it's true I think that totally sucks. Say what you will about eBaying a pre-order, but if the auction offers a clear description it doesn't matter if someone chooses to participate.

So basically, not only does EB not guarantee a system at launch (which COMPLETELY NEGATES the point of preorders), they might just cancel your preorder if they don't like what you are doing with the system after you purchase it.

I refuse to deal with this company any more. I can get used games on eBay and I'll have a better chance of getting a system at launch if I do a little legwork. Fuck EBGames.
Old 11-01-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow. That's messed up. Both Sony & EB made the sale, why do they care what you do with it?
Old 11-01-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's AWESOME.
Old 11-01-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would be funny as hell if true.
Old 11-01-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So does this mean theres gonna be a bunch of preorders popping up soon?
Old 11-01-06, 10:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

why is it awesome? They want to manipulate what you do with something after you give them your money. Ive never ebayed a console but why is it wrong if thats what they want to do? Sony has created the problem (short supply) so what do you care.
Old 11-01-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if they did that I would never deal with Sony, EBgames, or EBay ever again.
Old 11-01-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Very retarded. I'm all against people charging inane amounts for the PS3 on ebay, but it's supply and demand.
Old 11-01-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Very retarded. I'm all against people charging inane amounts for the PS3 on ebay, but it's supply and demand.
no it's not

just read the fatwallet thread on this and people are paying others to grab a bunch of pre-orders to resell on ebay
Old 11-01-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4111&Itemid=2

Contrary to rumors circulating the Internet, GameStop Corp. has told Next-Gen that it isn’t canceling PS3 pre-orders that appear on eBay. “Are we canceling pre-orders that appear on eBay? The answer to that is no,” said Chris Olivera, director of public & media relations at GameStop, which offically merged with EB Games earlier this year.

The speculation stems from a post at Evil Avatar that has infiltrated various blogs and forums, causing somewhat of a stir about the fairness of the supposed move.
Old 11-01-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw.
Old 11-01-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
It IS supply and demand at work even if someone is snagging every single system up. If people were only willing to pay $600 then the systems wouldn't sell on eBay for anything higher than that, which would end up screwing the seller because he would be out fees and such. However they are going for well over $600 on eBay which means people are more than willing to part with that kind of cash.

That system is not even worth $600 to me personally at the moment so I don't care what the hoarders do, and how hard it is to get one. If you think it's only worth $600 to you then you just have to wait in line and spend your time, or pay the people on eBay for their time spent waiting for you.

If people weren't willing to spend more than $600 then no one would have to wait in line at all.
Old 11-01-06, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=4111&Itemid=2

Contrary to rumors circulating the Internet, GameStop Corp. has told Next-Gen that it isn’t canceling PS3 pre-orders that appear on eBay. “Are we canceling pre-orders that appear on eBay? The answer to that is no,” said Chris Olivera, director of public & media relations at GameStop, which offically merged with EB Games earlier this year.

The speculation stems from a post at Evil Avatar that has infiltrated various blogs and forums, causing somewhat of a stir about the fairness of the supposed move.
and all the scalpers rejoice...
Old 11-01-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i believe that anyone should be allowed to sell something to make a profit. However it pisses me off knowing that most of these pre-orders are taken by people working in computer stores. The general public has little or no chance of getting their hands on the items because greedy sales staff in game stores and companies want to make a fast buck. Sure people working for companies are suppossed to be given perks, but then what is the point of stores advertising pre-orders if 90% of their stock will be taken by employees. Employees in these positions should be obligated to not be able to sell any pre-orders they have. They are already benefitting by being able to get their hands on the consoles before the public, but they should not be able to profit from this perk. I feel that the whole process is unfair to the consumer. I think that the selling of an item that is on pre-order should simply not be allowed. Too many problems can occur and at the end of the day it just encourages people to con others via sites like ebay. I am sure that many people feel the whole process is fine and above board, but i guess a some of those people have pre-orders they are selling and it is in their interest.
Old 11-01-06, 10:53 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

It should always be legal to resell something YOU BUY with your own money. I can understand being bitter that you couldnt buy one from a store but that doesnt mean its not right to resell it.

The solution would be for all of these console companies to only release a product to market WHEN ITS READY and inventory is ample. but they wont so this is to be expected and is perfectly legal.

Its just like trying to keep people from copying CDs for fair use.
Old 11-01-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
And it's not like they are charging inane amounts.. It's the retards that are bidding up to thousands.. If I had one and started in at .99 I wouldn't be charging... It's an auction.
Old 11-01-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well i believe that anyone should be allowed to sell something to make a profit. However it pisses me off knowing that most of these pre-orders are taken by people working in computer stores. The general public has little or no chance of getting their hands on the items because greedy sales staff in game stores and companies want to make a fast buck. Sure people working for companies are suppossed to be given perks, but then what is the point of stores advertising pre-orders if 90% of their stock will be taken by employees. Employees in these positions should be obligated to not be able to sell any pre-orders they have. They are already benefitting by being able to get their hands on the consoles before the public, but they should not be able to profit from this perk. I feel that the whole process is unfair to the consumer. I think that the selling of an item that is on pre-order should simply not be allowed. Too many problems can occur and at the end of the day it just encourages people to con others via sites like ebay. I am sure that many people feel the whole process is fine and above board, but i guess a some of those people have pre-orders they are selling and it is in their interest.
This is rediculous.. If I worked somewhere that I was able to get my hands on 1, 2, or even 3 PS3's you better believe I would take as many as I could.. Call me greedy but I call it smart.

If some people would buy what I have for 3x the cost I paid then I would be stupid NOT to take them. Bitch at Sony if you want to bitch at someone.. Like Save Ferris said.. It's them that are at fault.

Alas, I have no PS3 so I will not be making enough money to basically pay for my entire xmas shopping..
Old 11-01-06, 11:07 AM

I'm still going to try to get 5-6 of them but not for resale. I figure with that many I'll be ok for awhile in case 4-5 of them break in a day or 2.
Old 11-01-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
no it's not

just read the fatwallet thread on this and people are paying others to grab a bunch of pre-orders to resell on ebay
So? They got the preorder legitimately. Why the fuck should any company be able to tell me what I can do with it? It's not their job.
Old 11-01-06, 12:23 PM

I applaud any company that tries to ensure that their customers aren't gouged. Sony, Microsoft, etc aren't in the business of making sure some people make enormous profits from the re-sale of their product. They are in the business of selling as many systems to as many people at a fair and profitable price as possible. The majority of systems aren't taken by people waiting in line. They are taken by people working at the stores and their friends. This is a fact and I doubt most would deny it. This is bad for Sony so they have a vested interest in stopping this. Sony should go after the distribution outlets to ensure that NO STORE EMPLOYEES get a system by any means that aren't available to the normal consumer. This is how it works for stock brokers and inside info and the same consumer protections should apply here.
Old 11-01-06, 12:28 PM

I still think Sony should have just priced these at 1500.00+ themselves and cut off the "scalper" middle man.
Old 11-01-06, 12:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I applaud any company that tries to ensure that their customers aren't gouged.
Then the blame falls squarely with irresponsible manufacturers that only release a few hundred thousand consoles in a market this big.

You cant have it both ways: Either release your console when you have the inventory (which will also help with quality control) OR rush a few units to market and create a shortage which WILL be taken advantage of in a free market.

If this was China or something then yes you can cut off the hands of scalpers but a PS3 would be the least of your problems there.

I havent worked retail in awhile but im not sure how reasonable it is to make sure no employees can buy a console.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 11-01-06 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 12:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I applaud any company that tries to ensure that their customers aren't gouged.
While I agree in principal, in this case people are only getting gouged by choice. They're paying a premium to get on the "OMG gotta have it NOW" bandwagon, and to avoid standing on line for hours at Walmart.
Old 11-01-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is bad for Sony so they have a vested interest in stopping this.
Sorry, but why is this bad for Sony? They KNOW it's going to happen so if it affected them in any negative way I think they would provide enough units
Old 11-01-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I have zero sympathy for Sony - they are only releasing (maybe) 480,000 units to a market that owns over 100 million of their previous system. THEY are creating this problem. The Wii will still sell for a premium on eBay after launch but there will be so many more systems available that it won't be nearly the same markup.

I bought a PS2 on launch day for $300 and put it on eBay for $350 starting bid. It was bid up to $650 by the end and I didn't feel one ounce of guilt. If I can get a PS3 on launch day I'll do the same (and I'll probably start the auction at the same price I pay for the system.) If people want to bid it up to $2000+, yay for me. If it sells for what I paid for it, that's ok too.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be true, but if EBGames decided to cancel my pre-order because I put it up on eBay, they are effectively telling me what I can do with my system after I buy it. That's messed up in so many ways.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.