Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Phantasy Star Universe

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Sega wanted to release it on every platform, simulataneously. That being said, its not like they would have sonic team split into 2 saying "alright, you guys work on the PS2 version, we'll work on the 360 version". It's just not logical.
The game has been in development for quite some time, they could have
easily done one for each system. They cut corners plain and simple.

I have yet to experience this sitting <poof> standing phenomenon you claim, but then again, I didn't get to play the beta.
My comment is not based on any beta, but rather the full PS2 version of
the game. Try sitting down somewhere. A bench, seat, your bed.

The claim stating "Oh, you don't have to compare that to something in the same genre" is absurd. If you did, well, the graphics wouldn't look NEARLY as bad.
What? graphics have nothing to do with the type of game it is. An action
rpg can have graphics every bit as good as a turn based one. You want
an example in the same genre though? Okami, Devil Summoner Raidou,
Monster Hunter.

Another reason for the "shoddy" graphics is to cut down on this "jagginess" that you guys apparently hate so much
The game is filthy with jaggies.
Old 11-01-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well, obviously the game looks better in 1080i on the 360, especially during the fantastic boss fights

as far as the sitting down on a bench, i didn't know that's what you were referring to. I really didn't even notice that someone would have a problem with that, but you're right, they could have improved that.

What I found extremely enthralling was the ability to open up your own shop, set prices, and even talk to anyone who comes into your shop if you are present at that time. They can even purchase items when you aren't even online.

I'm they could have revamped the graphics more, but when you play it for a while, they seriously have functions that weren't included in MMORPGs previous to this.
Old 11-01-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate

What I found extremely enthralling was the ability to open up your own shop, set prices, and even talk to anyone who comes into your shop if you are present at that time. They can even purchase items when you aren't even online.
Hasn't this been an option in Everquest for years? FFXI and Warcraft have
auctions, but no real shops persay. Since your online save is stored online
it only makes sense that folks would be able to buy from you at all times.
When you are online, do you need to be at your shop in order for it to be
open, or is there a placeholder attendant?

I'm they could have revamped the graphics more, but when you play it for a while, they seriously have functions that weren't included in MMORPGs previous to this.
I have nothing against the online community aspect (though it's not MMORRP
in any respect outside of the lobbies), it's easily one of the reasons I played
the original so much. My problem is that in most other aspects this game just
fails to live up to what its predecessor gave. I played through the single
player mode and asked myself what the game had to offer to make a $10
a month fee justifiable and the answer wasn't pretty.
Old 11-02-06, 06:13 AM

Hey Luna Starfire! It's so weird, someone today asked me in a mission "do you know luna starfire?"

I said "what's that?"

I don't know why he'd ask that. He said he's surprised I don't know you. I'm Mousetopher, currently a level 30 beast hunter. My shop specializes in clothing. We should do a run.
Old 11-02-06, 07:26 AM

Im getting famous on the 360 server, due to some of the people i hang out with (Kenichi, lvl 39) and the fact that I have been called the "BEST" force by countless other users.

My shop is pretty darn good. I made 50,000 alone yesterday.

I'm always down for doing runs. I'm trying to get my fiancee to level up her character a few levels, since shes only at 14 right now, and I'm 24
Old 11-02-06, 02:17 PM

If you're famous then I guess I'm the indie film to your mainstream. I'm a cult hit.

Some people call me the best unknown beast there is. I rarely party with people I don't know, because once I do, they're hooked. And they hit me up through that card-mail contraption like I was Paris Hilton.

Lol, in all seriousness though. We should do a run. I'll be on later tonight, if the downtime ends early enough.
Old 11-02-06, 02:39 PM

Sounds good to me man. I'm pretty darn hooked on this game, but I got my fiancee hooked as well. I want her to level up about 1 or 2 levels today (on 14) but I'll probably be up WAY too late again playing
Old 11-02-06, 06:05 PM

If all goes as planned, we only have about 55 minutes before the server maintenance. If you're on right now, let me know. GT= pizzamousechips

Otherwise, I'll be on when it's back up, around 10pm PST.

Last edited by pizzamousechips; 11-02-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-03-06, 06:56 AM

my fiancee decided to play her character all night last night. I didn't even get to sign in with Luna

I'm sure I'll be up to about 3-4 a.m. tonight, though
Old 11-03-06, 07:56 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

This is my first Phantasy Star game, btw. I'm up to mid-mission 3 in the single player game so far. That portion of the game is pretty repetitive, simple, and linear. The dialogue is just horrific and those silly conversation animations take forever. But the combat is fun and I got my first achievement about 3 hours in. The rest should be a breeze.

The online side of things is much more intricate; in a good way. My little lvl 4 Human, creatively named Bob, hooked up with some friendly lvl 36's last night and they showed me the ropes along with hooking me up with a kick-ass duel sword, a new strike effect, and 3000 mesai (sp?). I'm going to have to explore more of the options this afternoon.
Old 11-03-06, 08:53 AM

I'm sure I could answer any questions you might have

I had my fiancee run around with my boy kenichi, who's at level 40 right now. After I opened my shop, the money kept pouring in, so I was able to give a considerable amount to her (Dabee Gullee is her character)

4 scape dolls + 15,000 is a nice present methinks
Old 11-03-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So does the game sell for 60$ and then 10$ a month on top of the Live fees? Do you at least get like 6 months free to play it online or anything?
Old 11-03-06, 09:01 AM

nope, which was a big let down at first. Considering the amount of time my fiancee and I have put into game, we EASILY got our money's worth out of this month (like 50 hours on my charcter, 22 on hers)

This game is actually saving me money, considering I won't be purchasing Gears of War for quite some time now
Old 11-03-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed the old one on the Dreamcast and played it online a good deal. Too bad this new one isn't much cheaper since it has a monthly fee or didn't have a fee at all on Live.
Old 11-03-06, 09:49 AM

that seems to be one of the biggest factors that are stopping some people from purchasing this game.
Old 11-03-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully it sends a message that if people are dropping the 50 bones on Live they need the games to actually be free to play online. It's not like the companies are averse to taking their money out of us through microtransactions. I'd love to see a MMORPG on Live done like Guild Wars.
Old 11-03-06, 10:00 AM

unfortunately, I don't think that would ever happen. The online community is steadily growing and I don't see that changing any time soon