Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm into RPG, Fighter, Adventure and Sports games. Any other "must have" games that I'm overlooking in those categories? Are the Final Fantasy I and II a must buy if I have them in the DS versions?

I'll appreciate any insight into this. Thanks
For RPGs, you should look into Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom 2. For Fighters, try also Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Guilt Gear Judgment.
Old 11-19-07, 08:37 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm thinking about buying Final Fantasy Tactics today, but I'm worried that I may not like it. I've never played many tactical RPGs (apart from Ogre Battle 64, which I really liked,) but I'd like to give this one a try. It's on sale, so I figured I'd pick it up now, but I wish there was a demo I could try.

Is it anything like Jeanna D'Arc? I have that, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 11-19-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I'm really disappointed by the low score IGN gave Warhammer 40k: Squad Command. I was looking forward to getting this, but looks like the title is hampered by a lot of gameplay mechanic issues and is not very long (15 missions at 25 minutes per mission). Looks like I might have to go with Front Mission for DS instead, to satisfy my RTS hunger. It seems like that one is a helluva lot longer, it's just the retro graphics that worry me slightly.
Old 11-19-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
I'm thinking about buying Final Fantasy Tactics today, but I'm worried that I may not like it. I've never played many tactical RPGs (apart from Ogre Battle 64, which I really liked,) but I'd like to give this one a try. It's on sale, so I figured I'd pick it up now, but I wish there was a demo I could try.

Is it anything like Jeanna D'Arc? I have that, but I haven't tried it yet.
It's the same type of game play as JD'A but much more customizable. It's a lot harder too.
Old 11-19-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd go for Jeanne for it's much prettier graphics, more modern interface, and newbie friendlyness. The FFT class system is pretty complex.
Old 11-19-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm loving FF Tactics on the PSP. Brings back memories of spending countless of hours in front of the TV with this game.

So far it looks like a straight port of the PSOne game with some cinema added. Is that correct?
Old 11-19-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
For RPGs, you should look into Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom 2. For Fighters, try also Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Guilt Gear Judgment.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 11-19-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm loving FF Tactics on the PSP. Brings back memories of spending countless of hours in front of the TV with this game.

So far it looks like a straight port of the PSOne game with some cinema added. Is that correct?
It has a brand new (and much needed) translation. That is the single biggest reason to buy it. The PSone translation is a mess.
Old 11-19-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

theres also a couple new unlockable, playable characters, as well as two new job classes
Old 11-20-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apart from the stuff the others mentioned there are a few (minor) negatives according to what I've read online. Some minor slowdown during summons that wasn't in the PS1 version, and slightly squashed blurred sprites.
Old 11-20-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Apart from the stuff the others mentioned there are a few (minor) negatives according to what I've read online. Some minor slowdown during summons that wasn't in the PS1 version, and slightly squashed blurred sprites.
I will say this wasn't as bad as I feared. I think the slowdown was much worse in the Japanese PSP version.
Old 11-20-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a slim PSP last Friday. I was debating on it.. I still don't think I'll get much mileage out of it, but just for shits and giggles I went into GameStop and asked if they had one I could hold (since I'd never actually seen one yet). Literally, the second I picked it up I knew I had to have it, it's just SO much better than the original one. So I went to Target and picked one up with Dracula X Chronicles. The only negative I can give it is that the memory stick slot is really crappy on the new PSP, but as I only have one memory stick, it's in and forgotten about.
Old 11-20-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Pixy, if you loved Portal (and I know you did), you have to check out Crush. It's different from Portal, but it's also mind-boggling and it's a really hard puzzle game -- even from the first few levels. Really, really impressive stuff.
Old 11-20-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I will definitely check that out if you're comparing it to Portal. I'll add it to my GameFly queue.. which sadly may not budge for a few weeks (Mario Galaxy preventing me from playing my current rentals) but I'll keep it in mind. I think I need to get Innocent Life from them first, as the girlfriend wants to see if that's worth buying.. she's a big Harvest Moon fan.
Old 11-20-07, 10:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Playstation Store is open for buisness for PSP owners now: http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm

PS1 games: $6 - $10, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops $10, Wipeout Pure $15.
Old 11-21-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Playstation Store is open for buisness for PSP owners now: http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm

PS1 games: $6 - $10, Syphon Filter: Combat Ops $10, Wipeout Pure $15.
Thanks for the info. Any idea on frequently they update with new content? Is it on a weekly basis?
Old 11-21-07, 09:01 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked up Disgaea, just started playing it, not too bad
Old 11-21-07, 12:39 PM

Does the PSP slim charge through the USB port?
Old 11-21-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ds6161
Does the PSP slim charge through the USB port?
It can, but only when it is in "USB Mode" and connected.
Old 11-21-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Yeah, I hate that. I was excited to be able to charge it through USB. Making only work when in "USB Mode" is useless.
Old 11-21-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where are the new cases for the PSP slim already?! I hate it how every time a new system / system revision comes out it takes forever for the accessories to come on the market.
Old 11-22-07, 01:06 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Where are the new cases for the PSP slim already?! I hate it how every time a new system / system revision comes out it takes forever for the accessories to come on the market.
I actually bought a psp soft case and it works great (it fits the old and new). Good padding and a few pockets for UMD's etc. Pretty compact as well.
Old 11-22-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished Jeanne D'Arc. Liked the game overall, but the difficulty was a mess. A cake walk for most of the game, and then the last encounter actually had a surprising difficulty boost! Or at least until ... not a huge spoiler but I'll tag it anyway...
Spoiler:

There's the main boss and kind of 4 satellites. Now usually in these types of games, you have to focus on the satellites first, and then after you've killed or neutralised them you have a window of opportunity to kill the main boss / head / heart or whatever. So I started out doing this, and it was actually a bit tricky even though I'd caked walked almost the entire game (you get hit by a lot of stage wide area attacks). But after losing a party member, I just tried to kill the main boss, expecting to be stopped by some kind of immunity or mass heals (he did get healed a bit). Sure enough, I wiped him out in 3 rounds, and was left thinking I should have just done that to start with.

So fun, but dunno if I'd go back to it. Also, my finished save was corrupted for some reason. Annoyingly enough I've had a few problems with this memory card (sony 4gig).
Old 11-22-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
I just picked up Disgaea, just started playing it, not too bad
One of my favorite SRPGs for the quirky nature of it alone.

Just finished Jeanne D'Arc. Liked the game overall, but the difficulty was a mess. A cake walk for most of the game, and then the last encounter actually had a surprising difficulty boost! Or at least until ... not a huge spoiler but I'll tag it anyway...
Even the final boss is easy if you use attacks that hit multiple squares at once. I actually found the game a bit harder in the first 1/4 when my team wasn't leveled up enough and I had to go level grind in a few optional fights to catch up. However, there is still some stuff to do after you beat the game and believe me the Arena will kick your ass the second time through.
Old 11-22-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, the attacks that hit the multiple squares are one of the things that aren't balanced properly. For example you fight level 50 dragons on one of the optional stages, and I assume these big monsters are meant to be a fierce challenge. But really, they aren't that tough, and the fact they take up 9 squares is a huge disadvantage for them! So instead of doing say 50-100 per round you can do 350-700 with a lance attack. And then boom, your character gains 20 levels. That's when I really noticed the difficulty problem, and also that fight gives you what I guess is one of the best lances in the game. And this is maybe only 30-40% through the game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.