Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy shit, I hadn't touched my DS lite since I got the slim (never thought I'd say that) and after picking it up to charge today, the damn thing feels like a brick in comparison. Amazing!
Old 10-31-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm finding myself playing the PSP even more now. Usually it was just at work, during lunch and breaks, but now I'm coming home and playing it. Jeanne D'Arc, FF Tactics and Castlevania are consuming most of my game playing time. I haven't touched my PS3 or 360 in about a week.
Old 10-31-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I almost bought a PSP Slim and Dracula X last night but eventually rescinded.
I just picked up Dracula X yesterday and it's really cool. Granted, I never played the original Rondo of Blood, but I'm enjoying the remade version. I did unlock the original version this morning, so I will give that a go once I finish the remake. The branching pathways add a lot to the game, and you can certainly see how this game is a bridge between the earlier level-based Castlevania games and the more open-ended exploration found in Symphony of the Night. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to unlock that as well, since I'm curious about the improved translation and the newly recorded voice clips.
Old 10-31-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Rondo of Blood do you gain levels and have an inventory/equipment like you do in Symphony of the Night? Or is it more similar to the older Castlevania games?
Old 10-31-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rondo of Blood is like the older Castlevania games.
Old 10-31-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rondo of Blood is like the older Castlevania games.
Darn, thanks. I still plan on getting a PSP and Dracula X.
Old 10-31-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Darn, thanks. I still plan on getting a PSP and Dracula X.
It's basically the pinnacle of the classic formula, so it's a treat to have it available in the US finally. I suspect that the original will end up on the Wii's Virtual Console at some point now, given that a translated version of the original is on the collection and is very, very likely just an emulation of the PC-Engine original and that VC now supports TG16/PCE CD-Rom².
Old 10-31-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know these two games are from two vastly different genres, but I need help deciding. I have some money left on a Best Buy gift card and I'm trying to decide between getting either Wipeout Pure or GTA: Vice City Stories. Which one offers more bang for the buck, in terms of graphics and replayability?
Old 10-31-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,286 Likes on 4,299 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
I know these two games are from two vastly different genres, but I need help deciding. I have some money left on a Best Buy gift card and I'm trying to decide between getting either Wipeout Pure or GTA: Vice City Stories. Which one offers more bang for the buck, in terms of graphics and replayability?
They are as different as night & day. GTA VCS is a VAST improvement over LCS and well worth the price. You have so many missions; it's hours and hours or gameplay. WipeOut Pure is a nice game graphically, especially for a launch game. It's also cheap $15 at BB. I'm not so crazy about it though. It feels a little repeditive to me. Still there are lots of different classes and races and many more are available for free download online, which is nice.

Of the two, I prefer GTA : VCS as it's more my type of game. But both are excellent games with supurb graphics and a very reasonable price. You won't go wrong either way.
Old 10-31-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
They are as different as night & day. GTA VCS is a VAST improvement over LCS and well worth the price. You have so many missions; it's hours and hours or gameplay. WipeOut Pure is a nice game graphically, especially for a launch game. It's also cheap $15 at BB. I'm not so crazy about it though. It feels a little repeditive to me. Still there are lots of different classes and races and many more are available for free download online, which is nice.

Of the two, I prefer GTA : VCS as it's more my type of game. But both are excellent games with supurb graphics and a very reasonable price. You won't go wrong either way.
Yeah, GTA:VCS the one I was leaning towards too. It just seems like a huge, fun game. Consider my decision made
Old 10-31-07, 05:58 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Is Vice City Stories really that much better? A review I saw actually mentioned that it was worse.
Old 10-31-07, 05:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. It looks badass, though.
Old 10-31-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It's basically the pinnacle of the classic formula, so it's a treat to have it available in the US finally. I suspect that the original will end up on the Wii's Virtual Console at some point now, given that a translated version of the original is on the collection and is very, very likely just an emulation of the PC-Engine original and that VC now supports TG16/PCE CD-Rom².
I'm passing on this one for now, but I will pick it up at some point. I played through the original on an emulator a couple of months ago and it is excellent. Word of warning though. The emulation for the original and Symphony on the PSP game are far from perfect from what I have read and that ruins this package a bit for me. I think I would rather have a good emulation of Rondo on the Wii. I still have the PS1 SotN so I don't have interest in playing a badly emulated version on the PSP.
Old 11-01-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what exactly is Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus? Is it an add-on for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops? Or is it a new, enhanced version of the MGS:PO?
Old 11-01-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm passing on this one for now, but I will pick it up at some point. I played through the original on an emulator a couple of months ago and it is excellent. Word of warning though. The emulation for the original and Symphony on the PSP game are far from perfect from what I have read and that ruins this package a bit for me. I think I would rather have a good emulation of Rondo on the Wii. I still have the PS1 SotN so I don't have interest in playing a badly emulated version on the PSP.
Ah, thanks for that. I have heard that the version of SotN on there was underwhelming considering what it could have been, but didn't read that the emulation/port was shoddy. That's kind of ironic considering that you can buy the PS1 game from the PSN store and it's 100% silky.
Old 11-01-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 967 Likes on 702 Posts
Ah, thanks for that. I have heard that the version of SotN on there was underwhelming considering what it could have been, but didn't read that the emulation/port was shoddy. That's kind of ironic considering that you can buy the PS1 game from the PSN store and it's 100% silky.
I was thinking about buying that last night. When you buy a PS1 game for PSP, does your PS3 have to be on to play it? I'm not sure how it works.
Old 11-01-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I was thinking about buying that last night. When you buy a PS1 game for PSP, does your PS3 have to be on to play it? I'm not sure how it works.
No, just to transfer it to the PSP. Soon you won't even need a PS3 (I think).
Old 11-01-07, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
So what exactly is Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus? Is it an add-on for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops? Or is it a new, enhanced version of the MGS:PO?
Hoping the latter as I can't find the original anywhere.
Old 11-01-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
How much is it on the PSN? I am really looking forward to when I can purchase via PC.
Old 11-01-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 967 Likes on 702 Posts
No, just to transfer it to the PSP. Soon you won't even need a PS3 (I think).
I'll probably need a bigger memory card then. I only have about 750 megs left on my 1 gig card. I'm guessing SotN is bigger than that.

orangecrush18 - It's $9.99 on PSN.
Old 11-01-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
How much is it on the PSN? I am really looking forward to when I can purchase via PC.
A Google search shows that it's $9.99.
Old 11-01-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Well having actually played the PSP version I can tell you that SotN runs just fine. If I had to pick I'd say I prefer the PSP version over the PS1 original. I like the new translation/voices.

As a whole DCX is pure bliss. The port of Rondo feels perfect, although I never played an actual PC Engine, only played it through emulator. The Remake of Rondo is incredible. It looks and plays great. It's been tweaked enough (controls slightly differently, seems a little harder in a good way) that it feels almost like a new game. Which is ok since the original is included. It's the best of both worlds.

All in all having these games portable is fantastic. For $29.99 it's a hell of a deal.

The SotN port may not have a ton of new content, but it's a great game already. Seeing as how it's a bonus game and it's a more refined version of the PS1 classic, I don't know what more you could ask for.

It's a must buy.
Old 11-01-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
A Google search shows that it's $9.99.
But, how would a google search boost my post count?
Old 11-02-07, 08:41 AM

PSP 2000 Headphones w/Remote Control $19.99 on amazon!

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBI...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 11-02-07, 08:45 AM

memory card ??

I'm a PSP newbie. I copied some wmv, mov and mp3 files to my memory card, but my PSP slim does not see them.
Do I have to convert the movie files?
And what about the mp3's? do they need to be in a special file structure for the PSP to see them?

thankz

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.