Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Old 11-21-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 3.0 firmware just came out which supports Playstation Network downloading games and content sharing via wifi with the PS3. There could be some good old games available soon. I rarely use my PSP. I play Lumines every now and then but thats about it. I'll wait and see how the download feature works. I may just sell the system otherwise.

edit: I just heard a rumor that you need a PS3 in order to use the game download service for the PSP. Has anyone else heard this?

Last edited by edstein; 11-21-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 03:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
So, do any of you PSP owners feel that there is any truth to this?
It's sad but it could be true. The PS3 could be key in revitalizing the PSP, witht he PlayStation store downloads, remote play, and other joint uses... but at the current rate the PS3 is having too many problems of its own.

I think software prices are one big hurdle for many people. Fifty bucks for a portable game is just too much for a lot of people, although many are 40 or less. Some of the pricing structures are really illogical, though. Some retro arcade collections have been released but for some reason cost more on the PSP than they do on the PS2.
Old 11-21-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has any one used thier PSP with their PS3? The file sharing option, controlling the PS3, has anyone tried this?
Old 11-21-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope Sony figures out some way to allow downloads directly from the Sony Network to the PSP as I have no plans to get a PS3 anytime soon.
Old 11-21-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure the direct download thing is coming soon. I still love my PSP. Taking nothing away from the DS -- I love Animal Crossing and NSMB, but it's not a very powerful handheld and could never be consideredfor direct console ports. The PSP completely blows the DS away when it comes to racing and sports games. Too bad there aren't more killer aps for it at this point, but GTA VCS and Tekken DR completely blow me away and I'm pretty impressed with Madden 07 as well.
Old 11-22-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

3.0 manual online; confirms PS3 necessary for downloadable games!

Link

Bastards!
Old 11-22-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm sure the direct download thing is coming soon. I still love my PSP. Taking nothing away from the DS -- I love Animal Crossing and NSMB, but it's not a very powerful handheld and could never be consideredfor direct console ports. The PSP completely blows the DS away when it comes to racing and sports games. Too bad there aren't more killer aps for it at this point, but GTA VCS and Tekken DR completely blow me away and I'm pretty impressed with Madden 07 as well.
I'm getting one for Christmas. I think the game library has improved quite a bit over the past several months and it's going to get better. The PSP is still the best handheld on the market -- hardware wise. Like you, I love my DS Lite and right now nothing can touch it but I think the PSP still has an opportunity to be very competitive in the handheld market.
Old 11-25-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a heads up : Game Crazy has a deal right now 50% off select Activision games such as their retro compilation ($10) THP8 and Marval Ultimate Alliance ($20). I planned on waiting on MUA until I got a 360 or PS3, but that price was hard to pass up. I'm liking it so far. It's not very different from X-Men Legends 2, but the online stat tracking is pretty cool and, like the first game, you're getting a lot of value in the handheld with the entire console game, plus additional playable characters and game modes. I'm not sure I won't eventually regret not picking up a next-gen version, but for $20 it's quite a deal.
Old 11-25-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up SWBFII at Target for $15. The load times in this game are bad. Otherwise a decent game.
Old 11-25-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you know, I haven't touched my PSP in quite some time and was wondering, with all these new updates is anyone still running old FW because of the emus? I'm about to upgrade to 3.01(I'm just waiting or my batt. to charge) and I haven't cared about emulation in ages.
Old 11-26-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by edstein
I picked up SWBFII at Target for $15. The load times in this game are bad. Otherwise a decent game.
I couldn't control that game at all. Some games easily work around the (completely retarded) lack of a second stick so you barely miss it at all. This wasn't one of those. Glad you're able to play it, though -- I couldn't
Old 11-27-06, 09:09 PM

Do any of you own a PSP you imported from Japan? This guy is selling these so called "Giga" packs on ebay for $199.99, which is a pretty good deal considering you get a 1gb memory card with it.

LINK

His auction states that these PSP's use a Sharp made LCD screen, which is apparently "much nicer" than the Samsung LCD, which is the most commonly used? Is there any truth to this or is this something he made up to make some cash? I mean, the price is pretty good and I don't mind buying an import PSP because it will play all the games I buy here. About the only thing it won't do is play U.S. UMD movies which I have no desire to use it for. I can always load movies onto the memory card and watch them that way. My only concerns would be lack of warranty and the possibility of getting a unit with dead pixels.
Old 11-28-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That GameCrazy deal was just for the weekend, right?

I upgraded to 3.01, but I read people are still at 1.5. I don't care about emu either...I use my PSP as a mp3 player at work mainly...pretty sad actually. I haven't played an actual game in months probably.
Old 11-28-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seeing as you can get a 2 GB for $14.99 A/R shipped free from Outpost.com, I wouldn't go to too much trouble to import one from Japan. I think the peace of mind that the warranty gives is more important. Plus you're likely to find a comperable deal out there this holiday season.

Yes, the Game Crazy deal this was this weekend only. Plus they had Vice City Stories + Mindnight Club 3 for $30 total. I think that HAD to be a mistake and they ment LCS, but who knows. That was a sweet deal and I'm bummed I preordered it instead of waiting for Black Friday (even though I did get it for $40 instead of $50 MSRP).
Old 11-28-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't touched my PSP in months. There aren't any exclusive games that have really made my mouth water. It's sad, but I don't really find myself playing a lot of games on the go. I play my DS at home most of the time. It's just that I enjoy the games for what they are. Oddball japanese games really just appeal to me.
Old 11-29-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by gijon213
Has any one used thier PSP with their PS3? The file sharing option, controlling the PS3, has anyone tried this?
Yes, tried this for the first time this past weekend. Pretty neat, though not sure I'll be using it. Just wirelessly connected to the PS3 and the PS3 main screen appeared on the PSP, although it was missing some of the options here and there, like being able to play a PS3 game. Seems like a useless feature to me at this point as the PSP just becomes a wireless remote control which the controller is anyway. Except for transferring files, that is neat, but I can do it faster by taking the memory card out of PSP and putting it in PS3. Can't wait until PS3 games integrate the PS3 and the PSP simultaneously.
Old 11-29-06, 05:57 PM

Woo hoo! Purchased a PSP v1.52 in excellent condition(no scratches or dead pixels) and it came with 7 games, 4gb memory stick and case for $250. Not a bad deal!
Old 12-05-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huge deal on memory card for PSP

Sandisk 4GB for $64.95

Retail price $299.
Old 12-05-06, 02:30 PM

Did anyone else pick up the pre-order for Metal Gear : Portable Ops?

its like friggin armor for your PSP. I love it
Old 12-05-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was planning on it, but I forgot. It looked cool, though. Enjoy.

And please post how the game is. IGN gave a great review, but it almost sounded too deep for me. Drivin around searching for wi-fi signals to recruit new soldiers? That's just insane.
Old 12-05-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like MGS is getting some nice reviews, but I just don't have the cash to pick up the game right now. Castlevania is out this week for the DS, so that'll probably be the last game I get before Christmas. With any luck I'll get MGS for Christmas and won't have to wait long.
Old 12-06-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
Huge deal on memory card for PSP

Sandisk 4GB for $64.95

Retail price $299.

Bought one, thanks for the link. I was charged $6 in shipping at the google checkout when buy.com advertised free shipping on this deal? I paid it anyways just wondering if anyone else ordered via google checkout and had to pay shipping?
Old 12-06-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking seriously about picking up Killzone Liberation next week at BBfor $25 a/c. I find it hard to believe that they still haven't implemented infrastructure multiplayer and am a little nervous that they may never do so. Still, I liked the demo. It's a different expierence plying an action game fropm that perspective and the graphics were really sharp.
Does anyone own this? Will it be worth $25 or should I sit tight? Lord knows, I really have enough games to last me quite a while....
Old 12-06-06, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by cseyer
Bought one, thanks for the link. I was charged $6 in shipping at the google checkout when buy.com advertised free shipping on this deal? I paid it anyways just wondering if anyone else ordered via google checkout and had to pay shipping?
You needed to change the shipping option to "budget." I just pulled the trigger on it even though I don't really need one. Oh well...more storage is never a bad thing.
Old 12-06-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrglass
You needed to change the shipping option to "budget." I just pulled the trigger on it even though I don't really need one. Oh well...more storage is never a bad thing.
A card that size will fit about 8 movies. Not bad at all.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.