Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Friday Wii/PS3 Possible?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-17-06, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From past experience, has anyone ever seen a new console drop in price for Black Friday? BF is right after launch, so I doubt it, but was just wondering if there is any precedence in this matter set from other years. Might make me wait on buying....
Old 09-17-06, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since Sony themselves have already said there will be a massive shortage of PS3s this year, good luck even trying to find one on Black Friday. Chances are that after launch day, the only place to get one will be on ebay for $1500-$2000.

The Wii is coming out one week before Black Friday, so I doubt if there will be any deals on it. It will be the hot new item this holiday season, so I don't think there needs to be any special deals for it to sell out.
Old 09-17-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thomkai
From past experience, has anyone ever seen a new console drop in price for Black Friday? BF is right after launch, so I doubt it, but was just wondering if there is any precedence in this matter set from other years. Might make me wait on buying....
Never...I may be wrong but I do not believe I have ever seen a drop in price for a console just released due to Black Friday. Look back to 2000(PS2) and 2001(Xbox and Gamecube).....all three were released prior to Black Friday and none experienced a price drop that soon after release.
Old 09-17-06, 11:41 AM

Alright, I figured not. And I'm not really interested in PS3, but yeah I bet there will be a shortage. But thanks for setting my mind at ease; was just wondering if it had ever happened. I didn't think so.
Old 09-17-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best Black Friday deal I have ever seen on a newly released console was when the GBA was released and Target had an exclusive bundle with Super Mario Advance (Super Mario 2). I think the bundle was the same price as the GBA by itself.
Old 09-17-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, I figured not. And I'm not really interested in PS3, but yeah I bet there will be a shortage. But thanks for setting my mind at ease; was just wondering if it had ever happened. I didn't think so.
Some believe you will be able to walk into a store and pick up a Wii just because Nintendo is claiming they can release millions of units at launch. Maybe...maybe not. I would say in the first month, you will not be able to walk into any store and pick one up. Maybe after the Christmas rush has died down. There are going to be plenty of people paying a much higher price on ebay in order to guarantee they have one before Christmas. There are already bids going for $350.00 on ebay as I type. I guess these are people who do not want to mess with the preorder deals nor wait in line at the stores. Just think what they will go for after the initial release on 11/19. I will have a couple to sell shortly after release. I am not looking to make a killing on them but am hoping to get about $450.00 per system. My plan is to list at $250.00 with a buy it now of $450.00.

UPDATE.... A Wii just sold for $469.99 on ebay with a buy it now.

Last edited by djones6746; 09-17-06 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-17-06, 12:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, and it will probably be rare to find any in stores on BF. Especialy for the PS3. The first shipments will sell fast. Some more Wiis may trickle into stores by BF, since they are shipping so many between launch and the end of 2006, but I doubt PS3s will be available then.
Old 09-17-06, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by djones6746
I will have a couple to sell shortly after release. I am not looking to make a killing on them but am hoping to get about $450.00 per system. My plan is to list at $250.00 with a buy it now of $450.00.

UPDATE.... A Wii just sold for $469.99 on ebay with a buy it now.
I thought about trying to get a PS3 and resell it. I'd have enough to buy one at $600 or whatever.
Old 09-17-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I thought about trying to get a PS3 and resell it. I'd have enough to buy one at $600 or whatever.
I'm also thinking about buying one or two for resale.
Old 09-17-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

either sony is crazy for pricing it at $600 or they are hoping to make a killing on the wackos who are willing to pay 5 times retail on ebay and will then drop the price to something reasonable right after the holidays to compete with x-box 360

if it's choice A, then I think Nintendo is going to be #2 again
Old 09-17-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
either sony is crazy for pricing it at $600 or they are hoping to make a killing on the wackos who are willing to pay 5 times retail on ebay and will then drop the price to something reasonable right after the holidays to compete with x-box 360

if it's choice A, then I think Nintendo is going to be #2 again
$600.00 is cheap for a good Blu Ray Dvd player. I think that is what Sony is betting on. I believe there are enough gamers who will pay the $500-$600.00 for a system along with early HD enthusiasts.
Old 09-17-06, 10:57 PM

$600.00 is cheap for a good Blu Ray Dvd player. I think that is what Sony is betting on. I believe there are enough gamers who will pay the $500-$600.00 for a system along with early HD enthusiasts.
Is it a good BD player? I don't know much about the systems player (or set-tops either). Is it on par with a $1000 player? If so, I am a little more impressed.

As for buying and reselling, I'm thinking about that myself. My friend today told me that at PS2's launch people were paying up to 3 times as much for the system. I bet I could get $1000 for a PS3.
Old 09-17-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
Ummmmm... If, over Black Friday of this year, you pick up a Wii for under $250 or a PS3 for under $500, let me know. I will personally be tempted to worship you for pulling off the unachievable...
Old 09-18-06, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it a good BD player? I don't know much about the systems player (or set-tops either). Is it on par with a $1000 player? If so, I am a little more impressed.

No one has actually used the PS3's Blu-ray player yet, so nobody really knows how good it is. It is a cliche, but the saying "You get what you pay for" is very true. Consider that the $600 PS3 also includes a high-tech Cell processor and some other stuff that isn't in a $1000 standalone Blu-ray player. I would be very surprised if the PS3's cheap Blu-ray player is of a very good quality.

As for buying and reselling, I'm thinking about that myself. My friend today told me that at PS2's launch people were paying up to 3 times as much for the system. I bet I could get $1000 for a PS3.
Yes new console releases always sell for insane prices on ebay. It wasn't just with the PS2; the Xbox and 360 also sold at double to triple the retail price. Sony has already said there will only be 400,000 PS3 consoles ready for launch, which is less than half of their original 1,000,000 plan. I would expect the PS3s to all sell out quickly on the first day, and there will be insane biddings on ebay. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could get $2000 for a PS3 on ebay.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 09-18-06 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Ummmmm... If, over Black Friday of this year, you pick up a Wii for under $250 or a PS3 for under $500, let me know. I will personally be tempted to worship you for pulling off the unachievable...
Is this sarcasm? I never said I COULD do it, in fact I asked if it was possible. I guess you were taking some roundabout way of saying 'no'.
Old 09-18-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
No one has actually used the PS3's Blu-ray player yet, so nobody really knows how good it is. It is a cliche, but the saying "You get what you pay for" is very true. Consider that the $600 PS3 also includes a high-tech Cell processor and some other stuff that isn't in a $1000 standalone Blu-ray player. I would be very surprised if the PS3's cheap Blu-ray player is of a very good quality.
I do not believe you can look at the price point for the system to determine whether or not the player will be a good one or not. Everyone knows Sony is losing money out of the gate at $600.00 so who is to say this system should not be $1000.00? I would be very surprised to find out the dvd player is mediocre in performance. Sony is counting on the PS3 to introduce Blu Ray technology on a massive front in it's battle against HD-DVD. Introducing a crappy player, thereby allowing viewers to experience poor performance via Blu Ray technology would be devastating to Sony in the current HD format war. Only my opinion...what does everyone else think?
Old 09-18-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
Is this sarcasm? I never said I COULD do it, in fact I asked if it was possible. I guess you were taking some roundabout way of saying 'no'.
Yeah, it was a bad attempt at sarcasm. I guess that's what I get for posting while half asleep. Didn't mean to sound like a jerk though, I just think there's an extremely low chance of any kind of discounts within the first week of a new console coming out.
Old 09-18-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really hope these HIGH expectations for the PS3 really happen. I plan on EBAYing one (IF I get it)
Old 09-18-06, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Yeah, it was a bad attempt at sarcasm. I guess that's what I get for posting while half asleep. Didn't mean to sound like a jerk though, I just think there's an extremely low chance of any kind of discounts within the first week of a new console coming out.
It's fine, I was worried afer I posted that I was being a jerk, and with the way my mind works, I imagined there would be a huge flame ending with me getting banned.
I agree that it won't happen. When I posted the topic, I didn't even think about availability.
Old 09-18-06, 01:10 PM
Retired

I do not believe you can look at the price point for the system to determine whether or not the player will be a good one or not. Everyone knows Sony is losing money out of the gate at $600.00 so who is to say this system should not be $1000.00?
Analysts estimate that Sony will lose $300 on every premium PS3. So that puts it at $900.

Which is still less than a standalone player, and they you have to factor in that some of the cost is the CPU, graphics processors, controller etc. that aren't included in stand alone players.

Assuming the estimates are right, it's hard to imagine the PS3 being comparable to a standalone player. Especially when no consoles could compete with standalone DVD players to date.
Old 09-18-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably no big Wii or PS3 deals, but I wouldn't be surprised to seem some good 360 deals since it has been out a year now.

Maybe some good DS and PSP deals too.
Old 09-18-06, 04:28 PM

Some believe you will be able to walk into a store and pick up a Wii just because Nintendo is claiming they can release millions of units at launch. Maybe...maybe not. I would say in the first month, you will not be able to walk into any store and pick one up.
I've never understood people pre-ordering. It just doesn't make sense to me. If I pre-order with a game store it doesn't guarantee you the game/console on release it just says you get one from them at some point. Gamestop for example, regularly just sells whatever they get in to whomever walks in the door and if they run out they just tell the pre-order people "sorry we were under allocated", since you have given them money you're SOL.

On the other hand if you do not pre-order its trivial to still find the game/console in stock on release day. I have *never* been unable to find a game on release day somewhere in stock on the shelf (or behind the counter when I asked heh heh) even when people claim they're short. And I've never had a console launch where I couldn't find the console on shelves release day with the exception of the 360 which was legitimately shorted. I do expect ps3 to intentionally short this release *edited for content*. Nintendo's Revolution will be fine to find on store shelves release day.

Mod Note: No need in console bashing, you can say your opinions without resorting to console bashing.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 09-18-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nuff
I've never understood people pre-ordering. It just doesn't make sense to me. If I pre-order with a game store it doesn't guarantee you the game/console on release it just says you get one from them at some point. Gamestop for example, regularly just sells whatever they get in to whomever walks in the door and if they run out they just tell the pre-order people "sorry we were under allocated", since you have given them money you're SOL.

On the other hand if you do not pre-order its trivial to still find the game/console in stock on release day. I have *never* been unable to find a game on release day somewhere in stock on the shelf (or behind the counter when I asked heh heh) even when people claim they're short. And I've never had a console launch where I couldn't find the console on shelves release day with the exception of the 360 which was legitimately shorted. I do expect ps3 to intentionally short this release *edited for content*. Nintendo's Revolution will be fine to find on store shelves release day.

Mod Note: No need in console bashing, you can say your opinions without resorting to console bashing.
If you actually think you'll be able to walk into a store on release day and get a Wii (without waiting in line for hours or even overnight), you're on crack. Period.
Old 09-18-06, 05:19 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by abrg923
If you actually think you'll be able to walk into a store on release day and get a Wii (without waiting in line for hours or even overnight), you're on crack. Period.

Why? They're shipping 4 million between now and the end of the year, with the US getting most of those.

One should be able to get up, and go to target etc. right before they open and get one without any problems. And people may well find some later in the afternoons if they check a few stores. Even you miss out, it should be easy to find one within a couple weeks if you keep checking.

PS will be another story do to higher demand and less supply.
Old 09-19-06, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are two topics in this thread...

Will you be able to walk into a store and find a PS3 or Wii on Black Friday?
Maybe a Wii but I doubt that finding a PS3 will be an easy tag even with the high price tag. We've already had a few people state they are going to buy multiple PS3s to resell them. Thinking like that will dry up the supply quickly. Wii buyers won't have the eBay bug as badly so your chances of finding a one will be much better.

Will you find a a deal on either new system on Black Friday?
Not a chance in hell.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.