Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Pre-Order Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 11:06 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomkai
Oh, I added $30 for the controller, but $50 or $60 with the nunchuck sounds right. So a savings of maybe $50! That is actually quite good. I'd be all over it.
I never did the math, but I figured it was the best deal I could get. Two controllers and two games are enough to make me pay $120 more, plus tax.
Old 09-16-06, 11:18 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting to look like that trade in only stuff is BS (or possibly limited to Hawaii).

All the posts from people calling stores, or going in and talking to managers, have reported back saying they've heard nothing about it. One manager even checked the e-mail in front of the customer (guy knew the manager) and had no mention of it.

No way this is starting on Monday and the stores are out of the loop on Saturday.

Looks like another BS net rumor.

They should just start taking preorders, with that same disclaimer as above that it just gives you your spot in line (i.e. if you're 10th, you get one of the first 10 they get) and that there is no guarantee on when they'll get that many in.
Old 09-16-06, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It could very well be that only select stores are doing it as a corporate experiment to gauge reaction to it. They do that a lot with sales and such.
Old 09-16-06, 04:27 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It could very well be that only select stores are doing it as a corporate experiment to gauge reaction to it. They do that a lot with sales and such.
The person that posted it on CAG has confirmed that it is Hawaii only (got the info from a manager who confirmed that it's only Hawaii and all the franchise stores in Hawaii will be doing preorders that way).

Hope it isn't that way here, but will hold onto my x-box for a while just in case.
Old 09-16-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I might just pre-order with Amazon. I have Prime so overnight isn't going to cost much, and I don't have give a nickel to EB or wait in line somewhere else.
Old 09-16-06, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Last I checked GC hardware was $35.
I work at GS in Northern CA, it was $25, traded one today. Might be more depending on area, but I suspect it's gone down since the Wii is coming out and everyone will want to unload (although they may do a trade-towards deal, so don't count that out. I say wait for a trade-towards deal if you really want to sell it, and are getting the Wii at GS. Otherwise, almost not worth it.)
Old 09-16-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no way i would trade in anything to preorder....thats a good way to make a profit though.

i'll just camp at Best Buy
Old 09-16-06, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
no way i would trade in anything to preorder....thats a good way to make a profit though.

i'll just camp at Best Buy
Well, from what's been said it's not required (except Hawaii?) But, apparently I can't pre-order it cause I'm an employee, so I'm hoping there is a bundle at TRU. If GS doesn't want my business, they won't get it.
Old 09-17-06, 02:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thom, which store do you work at? I work at 4377. You should ask another store if they'd let you reserve one. Or have a family member for it for you, so they can't say it's an employee reserve.
Old 09-17-06, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Thom, which store do you work at? I work at 4377. You should ask another store if they'd let you reserve one. Or have a family member for it for you, so they can't say it's an employee reserve.
I work at 3478, we just opened about 3 months ago. I know a couple other employees are getting family members to reserve it, but it's just ridiculous. I ought to be able to do it myself.
I'm still hoping some store will have a nice deal on a bundle to get reserves. If GS did, I would do it there. As it stands, I have no incentive to place a reserve, especially since they don't want me to anyway.
Old 09-17-06, 12:22 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by thomkai
I work at GS in Northern CA, it was $25, traded one today. Might be more depending on area,
You're right. It has been $25 since at least 7/14.

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index....FAccessories_3

They do a good job of keeping those updated. Never going to be 100% right, but usually about 90% up to date in my experience.
Old 09-17-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
I think I might just pre-order with Amazon. I have Prime so overnight isn't going to cost much, and I don't have give a nickel to EB or wait in line somewhere else.
If you can pre-order at Amazon... they sold out in a few hours on the 15th.
Old 09-17-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
If you can pre-order at Amazon... they sold out in a few hours on the 15th.
Yep..I was one of the first to order and actually alerted people here. I'm hoping I am one of the first to receive their orders....at least within the week of release anyway. I noticed there was a thread over at cheapassgamer.com in relation to the preorder at Amazon which started well after I had ordered. It will be interesting to see if Amazon offers anymore preorders prior to 11/19. I am assuming they had some idea how many they could presell since it was cut off after a short period of time. Not like some places who in the past have taken orders to simply take orders without the ability to fulfill the orders. Even if Nintendo can follow through on their promise of 4 million units worldwide by the end of 2006, there will be high demand for this console. The ebay bidding has already started with a system selling at $469.99 via buy it now. I believe alot of people will pay at least $400.00-$500.00 in order to guarantee themselves a system whether it is for themselves or to give as a Christmas present. Only time will tell. I will be selling mine once I receive my Amazon order. I picked two day shipping.
Old 09-17-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may have to drag my ass out to buy it somewhere then. Oh, well. My sprawlville is big enough that it'll be available somewhere on launch day.
Old 09-17-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by djones6746
Yep..I was one of the first to order and actually alerted people here. I'm hoping I am one of the first to receive their orders....at least within the week of release anyway. I noticed there was a thread over at cheapassgamer.com in relation to the preorder at Amazon which started well after I had ordered. It will be interesting to see if Amazon offers anymore preorders prior to 11/19. I am assuming they had some idea how many they could presell since it was cut off after a short period of time. Not like some places who in the past have taken orders to simply take orders without the ability to fulfill the orders. Even if Nintendo can follow through on their promise of 4 million units worldwide by the end of 2006, there will be high demand for this console. The ebay bidding has already started with a system selling at $469.99 via buy it now. I believe alot of people will pay at least $400.00-$500.00 in order to guarantee themselves a system whether it is for themselves or to give as a Christmas present. Only time will tell. I will be selling mine once I receive my Amazon order. I picked two day shipping.
Did you check amazon prior to the 15th? Was the pre-order up then or did it come out only on the 15th?
Old 09-18-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I only skimmed through the whole thread, but does anyone know if Toys R Us is doing anything special? I'm not really liking what I'm hearing about EB Games or Gamestop.
Old 09-18-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
Did you check amazon prior to the 15th? Was the pre-order up then or did it come out only on the 15th?
As far as I know, it suddenly appeared early in the morning on the 15th. I was very lucky as I was at work and decided to check a couple of online sites. I am not one to preorder at the stores.

Last edited by djones6746; 09-18-06 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 12:47 PM
Retired

Ok, from the other sites, that EB/GC trade in only BS is indeed only in Hawaii and Guam, they are still not taking preorders here in the continental US.

Some have posted that they are saying they'll probably start in early Oct. after they find out how many units each store is getting in a manager's conference at the end of september.

Some have also mentioned that they have been told that if they preorder a Wii game they will get a call when they start taking Wii system preorders. I'm going to swing by later this evening and preorder Zelda and see.

Lastly, you can enter your e-mail on the website to be notified when they start taking orders, and I image the web store and the B&M's will start at the same time.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp
Old 09-18-06, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Annoyingly clever. It makes it so that they don't have to refund you if your Wii comes in late and you change your mind/get it somewhere else. You're stuck with store credit or waiting.
Or the other great response gamestops around here use, just sell their items to whoever asks and if they runout before you collect your pre-order they just say "sorry we weren't allocated enough", and when you complain that the guy ahead of you in line was sold one without a pre-order since you traded in they don't have to refund your deposit.
Old 09-18-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I called two EB/GameStop stores today, and both told me that they still aren't allowed to do any pre-orders yet, and they wont know anything for sure until the end of this month, first part of October, when they have some sort of conference.
Old 09-18-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The general manager of my local Gamestop told me on Saturday that they won't be accepting preorders until they get their allocation numbers, and that should be at the end of the week. He said to check back every day or two.
Old 09-18-06, 06:44 PM
Retired

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;0

GameStop requiring trade-ins for Wii, PS3 pre-orders? Source: Reports springing up in a number of gaming hangouts, including Gaming Age Forums and Cheap Ass Gamer.

The official story: See below.

What we heard: Even on their best days, most gaming message boards are not known as level-headed venues where different ways of thinking are welcome or accepted. So when Cheap Ass Gamer forum-goer "Hack" posted a picture of a GameStop flier over the weekend that said the retailer was requiring the $50 deposit on Wii and PlayStation 3 pre-orders to be paid in game trade-ins (cash or credit not accepted!), there was naturally much ado.

Gamers took the news and ran with it, spreading it around various message boards and getting a bit of coverage from news aggregators as well. However, as the news spread, it seemed certain nuances were lost. The original poster, Hack, updated his post to clarify things as he understood them after a call back to the store where he picked up the flier.

"I will repeat that I never said this was official, or meant this to be an official nationwide announcement," Hack wrote in an update to his post. "As the beginning of this post has always stated (or rather, used to state), I'm not aware if this is a nationwide trend or not (and we have learned that it currently IS NOT). I do live in Hawaii, and therefore this could only be in my region. This is basically a small scale test of this new pre-ordering method. That means that if this test succeeds in Hawaii, it could possibly take effect nationwide."

It seems the GameStop employee who filled Hack in had the facts straight. A spokesman for the retailer told us today that the pre-order stipulation is real, but stressed that it is only a test, and one that the company is conducting only in Hawaii. He also said the test began and ended today, and that the company doesn't have an official nationwide program for pre-orders yet. It's unknown if Hawaiian customers will get another crack at pre-orders in the nationwide program, whatever form it may take.

The test is over, and it will be a little while before we see whether or not GameStop decides to embrace that strategy on a nationwide basis. However, it seems likely that GameStop, and possibly other retailers as well, would do something to improve their bottom line on console launches.

Whereas the profit on new game hardware is traditionally very small, the profit on selling used games is considerably higher. Requiring trade-ins to cover the deposit would be one way for retailers to better their bottom lines without requiring the bundled purchases that have become common from online retailers, including GameStop's own Web store.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that the plan is nationwide. Not bogus that GameStop was using Hawaii to test consumer reaction to the idea.
Old 09-19-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hope to god this doesn't end up like the preorders with the 360s
Old 09-19-06, 07:46 AM

Does anyone know if Costco takes pre-orders? I don't mean online, but in-store. If so, do they usually get a decent sized allotment? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-06, 08:11 AM

I've been preoccupied trying to track down a Wii pre-order online or in one of the local stores that offer pre-sales. I missed the short lived offering in Amazon.com last Friday. So far, they're the only online store which has done the pre-order, besides Lik-Sang, but I've never purchased anything from them before and I'm not sure they'll be able to fulfill a US system with the Wii Sports game. Their website lists "what's inside the box:"
Nintendo Wii (Nintendo Revolution)
Wii Remote Control w/ Strap
Nunchaku controller
AC Adapter for Wii
AV Cable for Wii
Wii Stand & Plate
Sensor Bar & Stand
2 Batteries
No mention of Wii Sports

There's also no price shown when you add it to your cart. These are their
Special Pre-Order Terms & Conditions:
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.

Calls to my local, Gamestop/EB and Toys R Us stores have told me that they're waiting for Nintendo to tell them how many units they're getting before they do the pre-order. They suggest calling everyday to check on that status.

Now, some people are saying there should be plenty of units to go around for the holiday season, such as when the DS lite was released, but something tells me this system might be in very high demand, as the end of the year approaches, given the fact that it will be the most affordable console available, it might just become quite difficult to track one down. I'm curious to see how the console launch will develop this time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.