Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New PSP design and features due for 2007?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-30-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have honestly been waiting to buy a PSP because it just doesn't have the features I want. If this comes to tuition, I will most assuredly buy it.

Linky

According to PlayStation Magazine -- and we suppose they would know -- Sony has a PSP redesign in the works. It's not a PSP 2, the rumored device resides squarely in the realm of redesign, but the supposed 8GB flash drive from Samsung, built-in EyeToy and a thinner, lighter form factor would all be welcome improvements to the current PSP. Actually, all the specs match up nicely with the PSP 2 rumors we were hearing earlier this year, but supposedly Sony wants to go with the Apple model of iPod upgrades, and stick with the single PSP name. In recent interviews, Sony's SCEA president Kaz Hirai didn't directly discount the idea of a PSP redesign, but he didn't really give it a lot of weight either. We're willing to give this rumor a fair shake, but we'll have to wait for more info and a real pic to see if this thing can have DS lite-ish success at its purported March 2007 launch -- Sony sure could use a hit.

UPDATE: Our original post was based on a fan-made PSP mockup from Joystiq's writeup that threw us off the trail, but now we've got a thumbnail of the magazine scan thanks to PSP Fanboy.

Last edited by gijon213; 08-30-06 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like a solid investment for someone who had been holding out on buying a PSP if true. However, unless there is a second analog stick then I'm not sold on it. I would much rather sit down with my DS any day than play with the PSP.
Old 08-31-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tuition?
Old 08-31-06, 02:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
However, unless there is a second analog stick then I'm not sold on it.
The only problem with that is they would have to ensure game makers put in control options for both the single and dual analog stick versions of the PSP. I suppose they managed this when they introduced the dual shock controller for the PS1.
Old 08-31-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've already said I'm not buying one until a redesign. Both controllers on the current model are practically unusable.
Old 08-31-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess I'm one of the suckers that didn't wait.
Old 08-31-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
The lack of an EyeToy camera is not the problem. The lack of a decent analog control system is the problem. So if the thing comes out with a built-in EyeToy but retains the single shitty nub controller, I will not be re-purchasing the system. Dual analog sticks and I'd probably pick it up again.

Frankly, I'd rather control my games well than look up my buddy's nose while we play videogame poker.
Old 08-31-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dual analogs are a must or this would be a pointless outing. Maybe they can redesign it to avoid severe hand cramp when you play for more than 15 mins. The hard drive would be great though. Could care less about EyeToy.
Old 08-31-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can they do something so drastic as dual analogs? Wouldn't that lead to software that requires is and therefore completely alienates every PSP1 owner?
Old 08-31-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Possibly, but as it was pointed out they've already done it with the PS1 and the Dual Shock. Wouldn't be unprecedented.
Old 08-31-06, 02:35 PM
Retired

It needs more games I want to play more than redesign to get me to buy...but I would like to see a better analog and d-pad, longer battery life, and shorter load times (if possible).
Old 08-31-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Possibly, but as it was pointed out they've already done it with the PS1 and the Dual Shock. Wouldn't be unprecedented.
Yeah, but I think there were maybe only three games that actually USED the PS1 dual analog to any major extent. And as noted above.. if you didn't have the new controller you couldn't play the game.. now, buying a new controller isn't bad, buying the whole system again however, is.
Old 08-31-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I don't doubt it. Buying the system all over again would suck, so maybe dual sticks will wait for the next generation.

I think the PSP is a fundamentally flawed system (albeit one with a gorgeous screen,) and adding a HD, a camera and other "bolted on" features doesn't fix the fact that it's nearly impossible to control anything well with it. So I'm not excited about these upgrades. The thing needs a redesign.
Old 08-31-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't imagine there will be a next PSP. Sony's taking a beating on a lot of fronts. Pouring more capital into an unsuccessful product like PSP doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 09-01-06, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry Sony but any new handheld without a touch screen is worthless.
Old 09-01-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a PSP about 2 months ago and have been playing it non-stop. It has alot of very fun games but I do hate the ergonomics of it.... the analog nub sucks plain and simple, the D-pad isn't all that great (although a simple mod help things tremendously here). But those factors did not stop me from playing it everyday.

Having a portable Winning Eleven is just amazing, I play that game everyday. So is MLB '06 The Show, it is simply one of the baseball games available (of course, you can play both on PS2 but it is kinda hard to do that sitting in the can at work!

Plus, it got some very nice exclusives (like the redux Megamans, Exit, Metal Gear Acids, etc). I just finished GTA:LCS on it and enjoyed every minute of it. I can't wait for Vice City Stories. There are alot of crappy PS2 ports, so as long as you stay away from those, the PSP is a worthwhile machine.
Old 09-01-06, 09:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Sorry Sony but any new handheld without a touch screen is worthless.
I'd have to disagree here. Just because Nintendo has successfully implemented it doesn't mean it's suddenly the be-all, end-all of handheld gaming. Personally I think it's a fun innovative thing but for some games but in other games I get sick of that stylus really quickly. I thought Mario 64 was far more fun with the 'real controller' than on the DS.

Of the ten games I own for the PSP, only one would really benefit from having a stylus (Go Sudoku).
Old 09-01-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a PSP about 2 months ago and have been playing it non-stop. It has alot of very fun games but I do hate the ergonomics of it.... the analog nub sucks plain and simple, the D-pad isn't all that great (although a simple mod help things tremendously here). But those factors did not stop me from playing it everyday.
Amen brother,

I never understood why so many poeple complain about the quality of the games for PSP. I personally think it has some great games. The PSP blows away the DS when it comes to sports games, I don't think anybody can argue that. Then you have games like GTA:LCS, The metal gear acid series, some great RPG games (I have kingdom of paradise and I love it, and valkyrie Profile is a great RPG). Syphon filter is a great action game as well as Daxter, extremely fun game. And there are some great games coming out (Metal gear solid portable ops, Silent hill origins (can't wait for this one), GTA:VCS. And I'm sure plenty more I cant think of right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the DS, in fact I have a DS Lite and enjoy it very much. I don't really find a need for 2 screens but I do like the touch screen. So what I'm trying to say is, both of these systems, in my opinion, have some great games but for me, I definitly find myself enjoying the PSP more. I'm personally looking forward to a redesign (hopefully the system will be more compact).
Old 09-01-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by musick
tuition?

If it comes to that.
Old 09-01-06, 12:35 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by firteen88
Amen brother,

I never understood why so many poeple complain about the quality of the games for PSP. I personally think it has some great games. The PSP blows away the DS when it comes to sports games, I don't think anybody can argue that. Then you have games like GTA:LCS, The metal gear acid series, some great RPG games (I have kingdom of paradise and I love it, and valkyrie Profile is a great RPG). Syphon filter is a great action game as well as Daxter, extremely fun game......
Oh, it has some quality games. The problem for me is that they are all (for the most part) ports or spinoffs of PS2 games.

Given that I have a PS2, and play my handhelds at home 99% of the time, I'd rather just play console-like games on my consoles.

For a portable to be worth a purchase, it has to offer a gaming experience that is different than what I can get on my consoles, not simply the ability to take console-like games on the go.

The DS fits that bill for me with its 2D games and quirky games. The PSP does not, but it does have a decent library for those who game on the go and want to take a PS2-like gaming experience for them (or use the multimedia features).

So its not that it lacks quality games, its that it lacks the type of games that I want to play on a portable--something that I can't get on my consoles.
Old 09-01-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, it has some quality games. The problem for me is that they are all (for the most part) ports or spinoffs of PS2 games.
Hey Josh...I see your point regarding ports. But spinoffs are fine with me, as long as it's a game I haven't played before (or can't play on my home console). When you say the PSP doesn't have the types of games that you prefer, what kind of games do you prefer in regards to the games offered on the DS? To be quite honest, I picked up a DS about a month ago (when the lite came out) but have yet to find too many games that interest me. I have castlevania, trace memory & New mario brothers. While I love these 3 games, I don't see anything else available that really peaks my interest.
Old 09-01-06, 01:45 PM
Retired

When you say the PSP doesn't have the types of games that you prefer, what kind of games do you prefer in regards to the games offered on the DS?
The types of games I enjoy are largely 2D platformers, and quirky off beat Japanese games.

Games on the DS I've enjoyed (in no particular order) are:

New Super Mario Bros
Castlevainia: DoS
Mario Kart
Meteos
Warioware Touched!
Brain Age
Phoenix Wright
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario and Luigi: PiT
Feel the Magic
Super Princess Peach

Some upcoming or recent releases that I want to check out or will definitely buy:

Starfox Command
Final Fantasy III
Yoshi's Island 2
Castlevania: PoR
Zelda: The Phantom Hour Glass

And lastly, you have to factor in GBA games since it plays those as well, and here are a few of my favorties of those.

The Mario advance games
The 2 metroids
The 3 castlevanias
Mario Kart
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls (also IV but I haven't picked that up yet)

So basically I'm more of an old school gamer, so the DS/GBA really fits my tastes. I spend most of my gaming time on that, as well as emulators, while my PS2, GC, and X-box gather dust.
Old 09-01-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of game is Mario and Luigi: PiT? I agree about 2D platformers. I think most poeple have fun with these (especially on a portable system). This is one genre the psp should take advantage of and I wish had more of. I'm also looking forward to Yoshi's Island 2. I do have to point out that the majority of the games you mention above ARE spinoffs of console games.
Old 09-01-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that if Sony did a redesign of the PSP, they'd want it to be cheaper. Adding an EyeToy and an 8GB flash drive would just balloon the cost.
Old 09-01-06, 03:02 PM
Retired

What kind of game is Mario and Luigi: PiT?
It's an action RPG. Similar to the Paper Mario games.

I do have to point out that the majority of the games you mention above ARE spinoffs of console games.
Indeed, but they are more spinoffs of old school games that I can't play on the current consoles. And I really can't even get many games like them on the current consoles as 2D games have largely died.

The PSP games don't appeal to me as they are spinoffs of games I could play on the PS2 on my TV and surround sound and have a better experience, or (in most cases) are spinoffs of PS2 games that I have no interest in to being with.

I'm not really complaining about PS2 spinoffs due to lack of originality, but rather that they are just useless to me since I play my portables at home the vast majority of the time and I'd rather play one of the PS2 games than the PSP spinoffs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.