Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

imported ds lite, dead pixel. now what?

Old 08-15-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

imported ds lite, dead pixel. now what?

I imported an ice blue ds lite from Play Asia a few weeks ago. I really wasn't digging the white here so I decided to get something I really wanted and I'm too impatient to wait for the US to get color choices. Anywho, it arrived about 2 weeks ago w/ dead pixel in the top screen. Its not overly annoying but its a small ding in my new car so to speak. I sent an email to Play Asia asking to exchange it and they said they will not. It is not consider defective until 3 pixels are dead in a roughly the same location. When I bought my DS orginally it also had a dead pixel but I was able to exchange it at BB w/o a hitch. My question is would it be possible to exchange directly with Nintendo? And since this is a JP DSL how would one go about doing that?

Thanks in advance,
-b.
Old 08-15-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I imported a white DS lite from japan, which had 1 bad pixel right in the middle of the top screen. Like you, lik-san refused to return it. So I just figured I'd be stuck with it. Then I noticed that mine had the famous crack on it (the first crack that showed up on the web, not the second one). I remembered reading that Nintendo would replace your DS if it was cracked so I called them up.

They said normally they don't do warrenty work on Japanese nintendo products, but they would be willing to replace mine with a white US version if I wanted. So I went for it... got the shipping label a few days later, and am sending it back today.
Old 08-15-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would contact Nintendo and register the DS Lite. You basically have a great warranty for the first year. I thought one of mine had a dead pixel but in fact it was a glop of dust that had gotten there during manufacture. Talk with them and see what they suggest. I know they were willing to replace mine when it was a dead pixel and were OK with replacing it when it turned out to be dust.

Another option is to keep that DS Lite, get a white one, then mod your ice blue one (since that breaks warranty anyway). I've been wanting to mod one but will wait until they're cheaper (or until the warranty runs out).
Old 08-15-06, 11:47 AM

Can I contact Nintendo US to register or do I need to conact Nintendo JP?

Last edited by squidget; 08-15-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 11:53 AM

Yes but you can play all backed up DS and GBA games with a modded DS.
Old 08-15-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No mod talk guys...or the thread will be locked.
Old 08-15-06, 04:12 PM

Apologies.
Moving on. I saw the notice that they will replace if the hinge cracks. I really hope that doesn't happen. I'm going to try to call Nintendo US today since I do not speak Japanese and that sort of thing seems like a prereq for calling Nintendo JP