Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Overhyped games (excluding huge hits like GTA, HALO etc.)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Overhyped games (excluding huge hits like GTA, HALO etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Cloning Clyde
Goldeneye
Doom
Most Mario games
Old 08-09-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle

Final Fantasy Tactics

These games just seemed tedious to me. Long battles, losing characters permanently if they died (at least in the PS1 game). But honestly just not my cup of tea as I've never gotten into strategy games (not even Advance Wars).
I woulnt really consider it overhyped because its probably the most overlooked FF game out there. This is probably my favorite FF game out there. It was hard and took some strategy to get through the game. Plus I fell in love with the characters. Sonic imho would fit better. Guess I never really understood the game...
Old 08-09-06, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO the whole Resident Evil series (although I do kind of like Dead Aim). I know it's a key part of the horror/survival genre, if not the series that really started it all, but I've always found the interface a bit clunky to work w/.

Last edited by nemein; 08-09-06 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 12:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Silent Hill series

I love the atmosphere and the weirdness, but the gameplay itself just never excited me. The tension is there, but the controls and the combat system just took me out of it.

Nintendogs

It's cute and all, and I suppose innovative in a way, but I was completely bored of it after 10 minutes. I kept thinking, what am I missing here? It seems like something that would be an okay mini game attached to something else but as a standalone experience I found it uneventful.

Ninja Gaiden

I'm talking about the original NES game, not the arcade or new versions. Other than some great-for-its-time cutscenes, this was mainly just an average platformer with some annoyingly difficult aspects, like cheap deaths due to precise jumps. C'mon, when you're more likely to die from a simple platform jump than a boss fight, it stops being fun IMO. I know this game isn't alone in this regard, but it is one of the most celebrated titles in this genre.
Old 08-09-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The current Prince of Persia series. The games aren't bad at all, but not as stellar as some reviews and fans made it out to be. Same goes for God of War (though I haven't played this long enough to really judge it yet).

And this is really more about taste - but the Quake games just seem like bores to me.
Yeah, it just all boils down to personal preference. The current Prince of Persia series includes some of my favorite games of all time!
Old 08-09-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Super Metroid was always overrated/overhyped to me, well made game, I just never found it to be THAT entertaining. But then, most people seemed to have grown up with the game, I missed it as a kid and didn't play it til a few years later.

My votes go to:

Katamari Damacy - I tried, tried, TRIED to like this game, and while I see it's appeal the gameplay itself is just dull and repetitive. Yes, it has a great control scheme, good sense of humor, and an interesting soundtrack. Yes it's unique. However, it just isn't fun to me, once the novelty wore off (1 level) I was bored with it.

Gran Turismo - Saw the appeal, just never enjoyed it.

The Sims - ...

Silent Hill (Series) - Another series I wish I liked, as it has a killer atmosphere and solid soundtrack. I just could not and can not get into any of them, I play through the boredom for an hour or so and it just isn't worth it.

Morrowind - Enjoy Oblivion, but Morrowind always just seemed 'broken' to me.

Mario 64 - Play a level, repeat is 5 more times. Woo. Was never a big fan of a small open-world with multiple missions approach.
Old 08-09-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think there is a complete misunderstanding of the term "overhyped" in this thread

o·ver·hype - To promote or publicize to excess: Promoters grossly overhyped the movie.
A perfect example(outcome to be determined) would be Gears of War or Spore. Both get more attention, marketing and praise than anything out there(i.e. hype). Now if they don't live up to expectations upon release, then it turns out they were "overhyped."

A real example would be True Crime: Streets of LA. The game was pushed and promoted everywhere you looked as the GTA killer. Of course, it didn't even come close to achieving that status. So it turns out True Crime was overhyped.

So in essence I think the real question would be "What games didn't live up to your preconceived expectations based on other gamers opinions?" Little long in the tooth for a thread title though.

BTW, BG&E & PoP:tSoT are both in my top 5 games of last gen.
Old 08-09-06, 01:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dashed
I woulnt really consider it overhyped because its probably the most overlooked FF game out there. This is probably my favorite FF game out there. It was hard and took some strategy to get through the game. Plus I fell in love with the characters. Sonic imho would fit better. Guess I never really understood the game...
That get's back to my post above with overhyped probably not being the best term.

I was more talking about "cult" games like this were there's vocal group online that absolutely loves the game, while you don't get the appeal.

FFT fits the bill their for me as I hated it, but you and others absolutely love it.
Old 08-09-06, 01:20 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think there is a complete misunderstanding of the term "overhyped" in this thread

o·ver·hype - To promote or publicize to excess: Promoters grossly overhyped the movie.
Well, in regards to cult games, I was thinking more along the lines of the hardcore gamer cult fanbase for the particular game overhyping it. I just wasn't sure what term to use for that.

I see BG&E hyped to death by hardcore gamers here and on other forums, and I just don't get it. It's just zelda-lite to me as I said above.

That's the phenomenon I was going for.

Maybe I should have just phrased it. "What games are highly touted by hard core gamers on the the net that you played and wound up thinking 'What they hell are those geeks getting out of this that I'm not.'"
Old 08-09-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So basically the subject should read "Games that someone else likes that Josh Hinkle doesn't!"..?

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Maybe I should have just phrased it. "What games are highly touted by hard core gamers on the the net that you played and wound up thinking 'What they hell are those geeks getting out of this that I'm not.'"
Yeah.. geeks.

You should really just put "I don't play video games!" or "I'm not a geek!" in your signature.
Old 08-09-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Madden 'XX - do we really need a new version of this game every year. It gets so much hype but the only significant improvement year to year is the rosters. Gameplay hasn't significantly changed in 5 years or more. Just more gimmicks. I'd still play my Madden '02 if I had '06 rosters.
Old 08-09-06, 01:29 PM

As long as you're looking up words you should look up "connotation" as well I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say "overhyped" not only applies to offical promoters/those who make a living off of it, but to what individual people push/promote as well.
Old 08-09-06, 01:30 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
So basically the subject should read "Games that someone else likes that Josh Hinkle doesn't!"..?
No, as I wanted to see others lists of games. So it should be "Highly touted cult games that you didn't care for" I suppose to have gotten what I was looking for across.

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
You should really just put "I don't play video games!" or "I'm not a geek!" in your signature.

Lighten up Francis. It was a joke. You're way to sensitive any time someone makes a gamer joke.

Security issues much?

I have 20,000+ posts here. I know I'm a geek. And Proud of it!
Old 08-09-06, 01:38 PM

ill just list games that people seem to love but that i found they were nothing special.

beyond good and evil - a decent game but not a classic that people make it out to be. i don't remember anything that was new in that game that hadn't been done before. sure the presentation was fresh but the game kinda reminds me of star fox adventures (unfortunately) except for the focus on stealth. a buddy of mine still working in the industry also mentioned the insanely easy difficulty of the game (both gameplay and design) and that while people criticized Prince of Persia SOT's battle system, no one complained about BGE's four moves system here. he's jealous of its praises lol, but valid points.
psychonauts - gave this about an hour, so i shouldn't really put it here
earthbound
gran turismo
fable
golden sun
castlevania
Old 08-09-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^^ I don't think anyone hyped Fable after it's actual release.

I don't get how anyone can't like the newer castlevanias, they may be hybrids but damn are they fun (primarily SotN and Dawn of Sorrow). Then again, I grew up playing Simon's Quest - which I loved due in large part to it's lack of actual levels (was never a fan of the level system in other castlevanias).

Last edited by RichC2; 08-09-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally, I don't think there's a doubt in my mind that the most overhyped game of all-time was Ultima Online.

I mean, I wasn't sleeping at night anticipating that game. They made it sound like it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

The Beta Test was quick to show me it was wayyy overhyped though.
Old 08-09-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh man, the Ultima Online beta test. That brings back memories.
Old 08-09-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I always thought Goldeneye was overhyped, coming as a PC gamer who primarily played first person shooters.
Old 08-09-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I always thought Goldeneye was overhyped, coming as a PC gamer who primarily played first person shooters.
But in '95? What was on the PC, Doom 1? Wolfenstein?
Old 08-09-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Goldeneye was overhyped. If anything I hadn't heard ANYTHING about the game until AFTER it came out.
Old 08-09-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Were Quake or Hexen out then?

edit: i originally had Was instead of Were. I thought it sounded funny although since i was using or it seems like my objects were singular (eg. Quake.... Hexen) in which case was would be correct. Man i wish english was as easy as spanish.

Last edited by xmiyux; 08-09-06 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 11:08 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by lordwow
I don't think Goldeneye was overhyped. If anything I hadn't heard ANYTHING about the game until AFTER it came out.
But again, I was also going for games overhyped by fans. And goldeneye was (and still is) hyped by its fans.

I think its deserving though, as aside from fighting games and Mario Kart 64, that is my all time most played multiplayer game.
Old 08-09-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Searching around, Goldeneye came out in 97, not 95. Quake was already out, and Quake 2 came out in late 97. Jedi Knight was out. Duke Nukem.
Old 08-10-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is a complete misunderstanding of overhyped.

You want an overhyped game?

Advent Children, X-Box.

It was worked on forever...there was some $1,000,000 contest with it and it was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, if I remember correctly, only to become a huge bust. The million dollar contest was never even doled out after the company went bankrupt.

= J
Old 08-10-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
E.T. for the Atari 2600.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.