DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Overhyped games (excluding huge hits like GTA, HALO etc.) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/473964-overhyped-games-excluding-huge-hits-like-gta-halo-etc.html)

Josh H 08-08-06 04:27 PM

Overhyped games (excluding huge hits like GTA, HALO etc.)

Haven't had one of these discussions in a while....so what are some games you feel are over hyped outside of the huge hit games like the Halos, GTAs etc. of the world that always come up in these discussions.

By saying overhyped, I just mean a game that gets a lot of love that you feel is undeserved. It doesn't mean you have to hate the game, but just think that it isn't as great as others make it out to be.

Here's some for me.

Beyond Good and Evil:

This was fun game, but I don't get the love from its small cult fan base. It had a decent story, graphics and control, but I'd probably only rate it a 7.5/10. It just felt like "zelda-lite" to me as their weren't many dungeons, the only weapons you get are the staff and the thing the camera shoots etc. so it just pales in comparison to the strongest Zelda games which have better dungeons and a wide array of weapons and items which make more interesting puzzles and boss battles possible. I also hated the stealth portions, but that's just because I hate stealth gameplay.

Lego Star Wars

Again, a fairly fun game, but I don't get all the love and would probably give it a 6.5 out of 10 if I rate it objectively and don't give it browny points for the coolness factor of seeing SW movie scenes in lego form. The controls are lacking as it's too easy to jump into pits, miss ledges and the attacking with lightsabers is fairly limited. The vehicle stages are particularly awful. It's cleary a game designed primarily for kids with the endless lifes, no penalty for dying other than losing the pieces you collect etc. Fun to play due to being a big star wars fan, but would have no interest in it if it was another license.

Jet Set Radio series-

Another beloved cult series that never appealed to me. It got old fast with the timed challenges and repetition of going around and tagging shit. Amazing art design, but I play games to have fun and I just didn't have fun with these.

Final Fantasy Tactics

These games just seemed tedious to me. Long battles, losing characters permanently if they died (at least in the PS1 game). But honestly just not my cup of tea as I've never gotten into strategy games (not even Advance Wars).

Sonic the Hedgehog series

Guess this falls into the huge hit catergory, but since I'm talking the 2D games I'll post it anyway. I always thought these were overly simplistic with the speed emphasis. Much prefered other platformers like Mario that were slower placed and put a lot of emphasis on exploration rather than just blowing through levels as fast as possible.

I'll stop there for now and post more later if any pop into mind (or if I see any in other's lists that I agree with).

Save Ferris 08-08-06 04:31 PM

HALO/HALO2
I was never crazy about the Halo/Halo2 single player. It was very repetitive and I never liked the alien weapon selections (except the plasma grenades).

Multiplayer is much better but the game is HUGELY overrated. Sorry guys ;)

Liquid Death 08-08-06 04:40 PM

The first game that I ever really took notice to about the "hype" was Blasto for the PS1 - there was an insane amount of hype attached to the game before its release, only to get mediocre (at best) scores from the same mags.

kvrdave 08-08-06 04:44 PM

Black & White

I couldn't believe the hype that game got. Every mag had an orgasm just on the promise of it.

Liver&Onions 08-08-06 04:45 PM

Cult games do just that, they divide an audience :)

I don't feel that you're using "overhyped" correctly. BG&E wasn't overhyped, but overlooked. Sure there are a few who will sing it's praises (myself included)...but to joe six pack, it's not overhyped.

Lastblade 08-08-06 05:01 PM

All the Zelda games are overhyped. I really only liked the 2nd one on NES (which most ppl don't like).

Eric D. 08-08-06 05:09 PM

How was Zelda overhyped? Most people, myself included, loved all those games.

Liver&Onions 08-08-06 05:10 PM

That's a funny thing about opinions. One man's gold is another man's shit :)

Wazootyman 08-08-06 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
The first game that I ever really took notice to about the "hype" was Blasto for the PS1 - there was an insane amount of hype attached to the game before its release, only to get mediocre (at best) scores from the same mags.

Really?

I remember seeking out information about it (Phil Hartman fan) and really having to look deeply, but never finding anything. Never got around to trying it out either

Josh H 08-08-06 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Cult games do just that, they divide an audience :)

I don't feel that you're using "overhyped" correctly. BG&E wasn't overhyped, but overlooked. Sure there are a few who will sing it's praises (myself included)...but to joe six pack, it's not overhyped.

Well, my point in that case is these fans like yourself "overhype" the game IMO.

That's why I was trying to shift the emphasis from games like Halo, GTA that are hyped in the mainstream, more to games that are highly touted on this board, and by gamers in general, that one may not necessarily agree with.

Maybe I should have just called it "overhyped cult games." :D

Deftones 08-08-06 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Really?

I remember seeking out information about it (Phil Hartman fan) and really having to look deeply, but never finding anything. Never got around to trying it out either

Yeah, it was hyped. E3 and in all the trade rags. I think it was one of the first times a bigger celeb had attached his name to do voice over work on a game. Probably not the first, but I definitely remember Sony touting Hartman.

Lee Harvey Oswald 08-08-06 06:04 PM

I'll go with Devil May Cry.
You wanted us to exclude huge hits, but I have to say Halo.

Josh H 08-08-06 06:15 PM

Devil May Cry is a good one. I just couldnt' get into the button mashing combos and it was a bit too difficult for my tastes.

Halo I think is a little overhyped, but I wouldnt' list it as it is one of the few FPS games I've played all the way through. I've given up on Halo 2 for several months (stuck on the level with the Arbiter on the moving elevator thing and the ambush of flood).

Liver&Onions 08-08-06 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I've given up on Halo 2 for several months (stuck on the level with the Arbiter on the moving elevator thing and the ambush of flood).

Shouldn't you be studying for your PhD anyway instead of playing Halo 2 ;)

Superboy 08-08-06 06:43 PM

The only thing is, all those titles you mentioned didn't get rave reviews - they're all cult games that are adored by a small sect of the gaming community because 1. They have limited appeal 2. The appeal that they have fits the intended audience.

They're not meant to be games for everyone. In fact, many reviews of the above games point this out.

One game series that I think is massively overrated is the Tony Hawk series, or any sports game in general. I think their scores are way too high for a genre that does little to improve with each successive game.

Josh H 08-08-06 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Shouldn't you be studying for your PhD anyway instead of playing Halo 2 ;)

Yep my gaming is very limited, though I'm gaming more at the moment as I needed a break after passing my first comprehensive exam at the end of June.

Sept 1 it's back on the grind until the end of next June though. :(

Josh H 08-08-06 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy
The only thing is, all those titles you mentioned didn't get rave reviews - they're all cult games that are adored by a small sect of the gaming community because 1. They have limited appeal 2. The appeal that they have fits the intended audience.

Overhyped might not have been the best wording.

Basically just any game that is celebrated by at least some group of people that you don't think is all that great is what I was going for.

The issue with me is I:

1. Don't tend to like many mainstream popular games outside of Nintendo's franchises (i.e. hate GTA).

2. Also don't tend to like a lot of the "cult" games hyped by the more hardcore gamers, or at least not be as impressed with them as those who are touting them here and on other forums (i.e. BG&E).

I was more interested in seeing what games fit #2 for others besides myself, hence the way I tried (unsuccessfully, apparently) to word the question.

tenaciousdave 08-08-06 06:55 PM

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

I've heard lots of people call this one of the best games of all time. While not a bad game, it's just a Metroid clone.

tbird2340 08-08-06 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
HALO/HALO2
I was never crazy about the Halo/Halo2 single player. It was very repetitive and I never liked the alien weapon selections (except the plasma grenades).

Multiplayer is much better but the game is HUGELY overrated. Sorry guys ;)

Couldn't agree more.

kgrogers1979 08-08-06 07:05 PM

I remember all the Blasto hype. Didn't Sony want Blasto to become their mascot? I seem to remember that. Blasto failed very badly, so those plans were quickly dropped. I bet if you ask kids today, most of them probably have never heard of Blasto. :lol:

I too really don't get the hype for the Halo games. FPS is my favorite genre, but the Halo games are mediocre at best. I think most of Halo's popularity came from being the first ever console FPS to be massively multiplayer over the internet. Most of the Halo lovers are probably console-only guys that have never played a good PC FPS. Half-Life, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, AvP2, just to name a few came out years before Halo, and they are all much much better.

An overhyped game I would add to the list would be Fable. That game was hyped up to be the RPG to end all RPGs. So many features and things were promised, but in the end a lot of it was taken out, and we ended up with a pale imitation of the game that was first promised.

dvdsteve2000 08-08-06 08:38 PM

I'll end up getting abused for saying this, but...the Super Mario games. I don't get the hype?? After the first one, they all basically look and play the exact same. Even the 3-D ones (N64 & GC) don't bring any real excitement (to me). Unfortunately, I have quite the Mario collection in the house, but I haven't played more than 15 minutes on any one of them without becoming bored. Back in the day when SM came out on the NES I couldn't get enough, but since then, enough is enough.

boredsilly 08-08-06 10:06 PM

The current Prince of Persia series. The games aren't bad at all, but not as stellar as some reviews and fans made it out to be. Same goes for God of War (though I haven't played this long enough to really judge it yet).

And this is really more about taste - but the Quake games just seem like bores to me.

hail2dking 08-08-06 10:27 PM

SFII-(over)Hype(d)r Fighting - never been of fan of 2D fighters

And I agree to a point with Halo 2 (never played the single player).
The multiplayer has it's problems, however, their whole online setup should be a Live requirement. It is the only game that I have never had problems teaming up with my friends. Why haven't other games followed their lead? (TS:FP is pretty good as well)

lawyer goodwill 08-08-06 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
Castlevania Symphony of the Night

I've heard lots of people call this one of the best games of all time. While not a bad game, it's just a Metroid clone.

I really haven't liked the Castlevania series post 16-bit. With SOTN, the games shifted to the gothy, RPG-lite route that I never could buy into (or appreciate). I loved the ol' swashbuckling, whip-cracking Belmonts and such from the NES, SNES and (gasp!) Genesis days. I realize I am very much in the minority on this.

I dig 2D Metroid titles, however ...

MrX 08-09-06 01:23 AM

The Gran Turismo series were the only popular games that I could never really see why everyone loved them.