DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Poll: New Nintendo DS Customer or Upgrading Old DS Consumer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/468225-poll-new-nintendo-ds-customer-upgrading-old-ds-consumer.html)

PixyJunket 06-12-06 08:37 AM

So what's everyone doing with their old DS? I had a buyer for mine but he got one before I could get to him so I'll probably give mine to my mom or something.. I just don't see the point of taking the measly credit the trade-in stores give so I'll feel better giving it as a gift.

Josh H 06-12-06 08:54 AM

I'm just keeping mine to use for single cart multiplayer with my g/f and to have when there's a game she's into as she can just keep it and play then. Would give it to her outright but she doesn't want it as she's afraid she'll play too much rather than work on her dissertation. :D

darkside 06-12-06 09:20 AM

I took the $70 for mine from EB. It was scratched up on the outside and I doubt I could have gotten much for it on Ebay.

Michael Corvin 06-12-06 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
So what's everyone doing with their old DS? I had a buyer for mine but he got one before I could get to him so I'll probably give mine to my mom or something.. I just don't see the point of taking the measly credit the trade-in stores give so I'll feel better giving it as a gift.

I didn't have one, but I wouldn't say the $70 everyone is reporting is measly. That is a good couple of DS games, a 360 game or credit towards a Wii. :) I'd take it. That is a lot more than you would probably get on ebay now that the lite is out.

Josh H 06-12-06 10:28 AM

No, $70 is fantastic for just the system. I doubt they'll even be able to sell them at that and Ebay prices are just barely over that now and will tank when people are more aware of the lite.

I was tempted, but decided to hold on for multiplayer. Would have been a nice start to put toward the Wii when they finally start taking preorders...

PixyJunket 06-12-06 10:42 AM

Who's giving $70? I was told $50 at Gamestop.

Talzin 06-12-06 10:47 AM

The NDSL was my first portable gaming system purchase since the Game Gear. Thus far I have been enjoying the New SMB game and Advance Wars, quite an improvement over my old translucent Gameboy really what with the colour and brightness.

Jeremy517 06-12-06 10:56 AM

I think it was only for last week, but EB/GS was giving $70 in credit. The cash value would have been a bit less though.

Josh H 06-12-06 11:28 AM

Yeah, it was EB/GS, but looking into it Jeremy is right, the deal ended yesterday. It was $50 plus an extra $20 for the past couple of weeks.

darkside 06-12-06 12:37 PM

It was a one week only promotion which is why I jumped on it. The regular trade in value is only $50. They also had a decent trade in deal on games giving an extra $10 per four and I traded in 8 really old crappy titles and paid off the balance of my DS Lite and a DS game.

Deadpool 06-12-06 01:59 PM

Upgrader here

Outlaw 06-12-06 06:57 PM

I got $70 at gamestop, used the credit to get Guitar Hero :)

darkside 06-12-06 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I got $70 at gamestop, used the credit to get Guitar Hero :)

Thats a really good use for it. I still need to pick this game up as everyone seems to love it.

Jeremy517 06-12-06 07:56 PM

Pixy, CAGers are reporting that Game Crazy is offering $71 in credit.

Also, the Classic Plastic 3 for $15 sale is starting on the 18th, so that would be a good time to spend your credit.

nevermind 06-12-06 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Also, the Classic Plastic 3 for $15 sale is starting on the 18th, so that would be a good time to spend your credit.

You think there will be anything the DS can play available or is it only Game Boy/Game Boy Color stuff on these type of deals?

Jeremy517 06-12-06 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind
You think there will be anything the DS can play available or is it only Game Boy/Game Boy Color stuff on these type of deals?

PS1 and earlier + Dreamcast.

spainlinx0 06-15-06 09:10 AM

I wasn't planning on getting it for a while, but I saw it on the Target shelf, and I just couldn't resist. I love the DS and the new screen is amazing.

lordwow 06-15-06 09:38 PM

Just got mine (as a new DSer) today, charged it up and have played about an hour of Mario Kart. A Few things pleasantly surprised me:

1) The screen brightness is phenomenal. I'd even read everyone else oohing about it all week, but even the pictures online don't do it justice. I turned it on and was blown away.

2) The games look better than I expected. I was conserned about the resolution of the games being more like SNES than N64, but the games look surprisingly good.

3) Touchpad works wonderfully.

4) The entire console is just well designed. Everything feels just right where it is. I can understand why there are so many upgraders... Just a damn good design (and it's so light!)

Having not owned a Nintendo System since N64, and my last handheld game being Tetris for the ORIGINAL Game Boy... my expectations/faith in the Wii has gone through the roof.

gotrice487 06-15-06 09:43 PM

I upgraded from the old DS model

littlefuzzy 06-16-06 12:18 AM

I got my DS Lite yesterday!!! I never had the original, but I have built up a 10 game collection in the past couple of months...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Feel the Magic: XY-XX, Lost in Blue, Metroid Prime: Hunters - First Hunt (Demo - cartridge only,) Metroid Prime Pinball w/ rumble pak, Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits, Nanostray, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Picto-Chat (built-in,) Puyo Pop Fever, Sprung, Trace Memory

I am still looking for or anxiously awaiting quite a few games (along with others I haven't listed):

Advance Wars DS, Boktai, Brain Age, Children of Mana, Contact, Dragon Quest Monsters, Egg Monster Heroes, Electroplankton, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, Lost Magic, Lunar DS, Magnetica, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Meteos, Metroid Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Brothers, One Piece, Rub Rabbits, Slime Morimori Dragon Quest, Super Mario 64 DS, Super Princess Peach, Tales of the Tempest, Tao's Adventures, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Vandal Hearts, Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour