DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Poll: New Nintendo DS Customer or Upgrading Old DS Consumer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/468225-poll-new-nintendo-ds-customer-upgrading-old-ds-consumer.html)

fumanstan 06-09-06 07:25 PM

I'm planning on buying a DS Lite, never owned a regular DS.

jediwicz 06-09-06 07:47 PM

Upgrading. My wife will keep her original and I'm trading up.

Supermallet 06-09-06 08:12 PM

Upgraded about a month ago. Now I've got Electroplankton hooked up to my receiver, it sounds great in 7-channel stereo! :lol:

Looks like right now the upgraders are just about matching the newcomers.

sharbhund 06-09-06 09:02 PM

This is gonna be my first Nintendo system since the SNES.

Supermallet 06-09-06 09:27 PM

It's also the best gaming system from any company since the SNES.

REL77 06-10-06 08:06 AM

I am new to the DS world, the Lite looks awsome

Decker 06-10-06 09:07 AM

I'll get a DS Lite the first chance I get to find one cheap or bundled. It'll be my first Nintendo purchase since I traded in a GBA for a GBA SP. I was going to trade in the SP, but will probably give it to my daughter instead.

Tarantino 06-10-06 09:31 AM

I'll break the tie. I never owned a DS, but I got to play the Lite at work w/ the new Mario Bros. game and it's fantastic.

= J

The Bus 06-10-06 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Upgraded about a month ago. Now I've got Electroplankton hooked up to my receiver, it sounds great in 7-channel stereo! :lol:

Looks like right now the upgraders are just about matching the newcomers.

The DS outputs in discrete 7-channel stereo?

So... it outputs in 6.1?

I don't believe that for a minute.

<hr>

I've bought two DSs before my Lite, both as gifts. I waited because I didn't like the form factor or complaints over past handhelds. I'd own a PSP if it was in the same price range. There's plenty of games on the PSP I would like to play (now).

The Cow 06-10-06 01:04 PM

Picked up the DS Lite a little over a week ago at a Meijer store. My first DS and very impressed with it.

Josh H 06-10-06 03:29 PM

Found a poll thread on this at CAG.

Different picture there, 70% upgraders (with more votes than here).

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=96668

Sonny Corinthos 06-10-06 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jediwicz
Upgrading. My wife will keep her original and I'm trading up.

Same here.

Blitz6Speed 06-10-06 07:16 PM

Im now looking for a sweet deal on a DS. I will be doing a lot of long distance traveling soon, and the DS sounds like something id like to give a shot. My phone plays NES games well, but it eats up a lot of juice, so ill just get the ds lite instead.

Supermallet 06-10-06 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
The DS outputs in discrete 7-channel stereo?

So... it outputs in 6.1?

I don't believe that for a minute.

No, it doesn't output in 6.1. It was simulated 7-channel stereo.

Michael Corvin 06-10-06 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Found a poll thread on this at CAG.

Different picture there, 70% upgraders (with more votes than here).

http://www...php?t=96668

I'm betting the average age there is much lower than here. i.e. most got the original DS from mommy & daddy.

Josh H 06-11-06 12:34 AM

I'm not sure if it's age (awful lot of posts from people driving out to check stores etc.), I think it's also just that there are more hardcore gamers there since it is a gaming site, and that it's a deal site so theres more people that buy every console and tons of games both because they're more hardcore as a whole and they buy shit just because it's a good deal.

Where as this is a game forum on a DVD site, so a lot of people who post here (myself included) are more casual gamers who are more into movies etc.

But who knows for sure. :D

darkside 06-11-06 01:16 AM

I think you are right Josh. BTW, my wife isn't upgrading. She is perfectly happy with her pink DS. She rarely falls for the upgrade stuff.

Ralph Wiggum 06-11-06 01:24 PM

Upgrade here. I play way too many DS games not to indulge in the Lite. Still haven't decided what to do with my now-stupid DS yet.

sureAV421 06-11-06 01:35 PM

trade it. I think they're $70 trade-in at gamestop.

jediwicz 06-11-06 01:41 PM

The $70.00 at EB/Gamestop ends today. It's really a $50.00 trade but they're giving and extra $20.00. I traded in my old DS and transferred my Wifi settings and traded in my PSP for $130.00 including the extra 20.

nevermind 06-11-06 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sharbhund
This is gonna be my first Nintendo system since the SNES.

Me too.

Drexl 06-11-06 11:23 PM

I will be a new customer if I get one (I think I will).

BTW, how is the DS for left-handers? Are there games that require you to use the stylus with your right hand because you need access to the D-pad?

Josh H 06-11-06 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Are there games that require you to use the stylus with your right hand because you need access to the D-pad?

Not that I've played, that I can recall anyway.

i.e. in Metroid for left handers you'll use the 4 face buttons as your d-pad with your right hand and stylus in your left.

Jeremy517 06-12-06 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I will be a new customer if I get one (I think I will).

BTW, how is the DS for left-handers? Are there games that require you to use the stylus with your right hand because you need access to the D-pad?

A few of the games I've tried (Brain Age, Wario Ware) have asked me if I'm left-handed or right-handed.

Josh H 06-12-06 08:34 AM

Yeah, the stylus only games just ask you and then tweak it a little.