Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll: Is / has your 360 broken?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Is / has your 360 broken?
No, everything works fine.
60.47%
Sort of, there are small problems like occasional freezing etc, but I'll live.
20.93%
Yes. It's completely broken and I have already or need to contact Microsoft and send it in.
18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen this poll on IGN and figured we'd see how the outcome is here.. M$ft says the return rate on 360's is within 3-5%.. IGN decided to do a poll for their "insider" subscribers only and their numbers are as follows:

Of 751 total votes, 520 (69 percent) responded "No, everything works fine." 113 people (15 percent) responded "Sort of -- there are small problems like occasional freezing or my controllers aren't recognized, but I'll live." 118 people, (15 percent) responded, "Yes. It's completely broken and I have already or need to contact Microsoft and send it in."
Mine, so far... Is working fine.

Last edited by tbird2340; 06-01-06 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-01-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dude mine is perfect, Cool, quiet, it's only ever frozen up on a couple of the launch games, and that's because those games were known to have problems. If I remember correctly the manufacture date of my 360 was December 12th, and I bought it on the 20th when they holding all those units back
Old 06-01-06, 09:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked choice 3 as I had to already send back my original unit. Although I would pick #2 as well for my current system.

I've had a ton of freezing issues, mainly in Oblivion. but in other games as well I'll just freeze up and have to shut it off and turn it back on again.
Old 06-01-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Dude mine is perfect, Cool, quiet...
You know we are talking about the 360 right? Did you have to special order a quiet one because to my understanding they don't exist.

Option 3 for me. Just got a new one sent to me yesterday.

So 30% of respondants have had problems, major or minor. That is a far cry from the 3-5% MS reports.
Old 06-01-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine has had 0 problems. Bought it in January, manufactured in late December.
Old 06-01-06, 09:51 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Yep, I've had my launch unit replaced once already and the new one is starting to have laser issues.
Old 06-01-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have had their's replaced.. Please post how long the process took. Thanks!
Old 06-01-06, 09:58 AM

I have had occasional freezes while playing COD and Oblivion other that that it has been fine. I bought mine the last week of January and it was manufactured Janaury 11.

I just purchased the MS extended warranty last week just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-01-06, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You know we are talking about the 360 right? Did you have to special order a quiet one because to my understanding they don't exist.

Option 3 for me. Just got a new one sent to me yesterday.

So 30% of respondants have had problems, major or minor. That is a far cry from the 3-5% MS reports.
yeah man I know we're talking about the 360 and yes I'm serious I don't know how I got so lucky but mine is quiet as hell and it's always cool to the touch. BeanDip who lives like two blocks from me has one that sounds like a freakin Jet at takeoff and smells like burning resistors.
Old 06-01-06, 10:06 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tbird2340
For those who have had their's replaced.. Please post how long the process took. Thanks!
I called on a Thursday, had my shipping box arrive on Friday. Sent out on Friday. They received on Monday. Unit shipped to me on Wednesday. Received it on Thursday.

It took one week from the day I called to have my 360 sent out, and one returned to me.

I have heard lately, though, that they are not doing overnight shipping anymore. So, that will increase the time factor.

When I had mine replaced, the shipping box came to me next day air. And the prelabled box was also sent via next day air. The 360 that came back to me was also sent next day air.
Old 06-01-06, 10:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kakihara1
yeah man I know we're talking about the 360 and yes I'm serious I don't know how I got so lucky but mine is quiet as hell and it's always cool to the touch. BeanDip who lives like two blocks from me has one that sounds like a freakin Jet at takeoff and smells like burning resistors.
Well, his is Canadian..

I hear the dashboard screen displays messages such as "Closing tray, eh?" and "Reading disc, eh?"

Old 06-01-06, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Well, his is Canadian..

I hear the dashboard screen displays messages such as "Closing tray, eh?" and "Reading disc, eh?"

He's already had that one replaced, now it speaks spanish to him cause it's from Mcallen Texas. it was alright at first but now it's starting to shit on him.

I just want mine to last like a year or two then break so I can get a fresh unit that's all revised.
Old 06-01-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No problems since I got it in December.
Old 06-01-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is all good, only a freeze once actually, but I pressed the Circle in the middle while something was loading and was playing music.. just an overload I guess. Mine is very loud though.. :/ But I probably only notice when my sound is off.
Old 06-01-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine in problem free thus far.
Old 06-01-06, 11:37 AM
fab

Mine has been fine so far (launch). It has locked up on me about 10 times in UNO but never in any other game so I'm pretty sure it's just an UNO problem (others have reported similar issues with UNO as well).

--
fab
Old 06-01-06, 11:43 AM

Took 3 weeks for the replacement unit to arrive:
1 week for the box to come from Microsoft (no longer doing next-day shipping)
1 week for the box to be delivered (this was three day shipping via UPS, who failed to deliver it in the three day guaranteed window),
1 week for the replacement to be processed and shipped to my house (also three-day shipping)

Now two days later it is powering off every 10-15 minutes and I'm getting the left two red lights error, I think this unit is overheating. I'm not pleased that I was sent a defective unit as my replacement. Looks like it will be a few more weeks before I'm back up and running on the 360, maybe Street Fighter or Texas hold'em will be released by then.

I would be curious to run a similar poll, but to tie it to manufacutring dates, I bet those who purchased units with manufacturing dates prior to December have a higher likelihood of encountering problems (wouldn't be suprised if this was in the 30% range)

Last edited by prayformojo; 06-01-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-01-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are killing all my interest in the 360. If this is what the next generation of gaming will be all about I will pass. These consoles are just getting too complicated and running way too hot to last very long.
Old 06-01-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problems here since January. I have to agree the damn thing runs hot though.
Old 06-01-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine has ran smooth since launch. Oblivion locked up on me a couple of times but, clearing the cache seems to fix that issue.
Old 06-01-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The day I bought Ghost Recon (release day 3/9) after 2 minutes it ejected the game and would not allow me to close the tray with the button or remote. It took 2 weeks to send it in and get the replacement. I got the shipment box on 3/13, sent it in on 3/14 and received my replacement on 3/27.
Old 06-01-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No real problems whatsoever, bought at launch. It froze only once, and that was once when I joined a game of Uno online - I attributed the freeze to their server, not my box.
Old 06-01-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a launch 360 and got the 3 red rings when MS did the AUTO update on the system. It was a long story, second console did not connect to LIVE (MS fault), 3rd console worked great thus far...plus got a FREE controller out of the deal (wirelesS).
Old 06-01-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by prayformojo
1 week for the box to be delivered (this was three day shipping via UPS, who failed to deliver it in the three day guaranteed window),
1 week for the replacement to be processed and shipped to my house (also three-day shipping)

Now two days later it is powering off every 10-15 minutes and I'm getting the left two red lights error, I think this unit is overheating. I'm not pleased that I was sent a defective unit as my replacement. Looks like it will be a few more weeks before I'm back up and running on the 360, maybe Street Fighter or Texas hold'em will be released by then.

I would be curious to run a similar poll, but to tie it to manufacutring dates, I bet those who purchased units with manufacturing dates prior to December have a higher likelihood of encountering problems (wouldn't be suprised if this was in the 30% range)

Unreal that they ship you a defective one back.. Are they even doing any testing on these things before calling them fixed and shipping them back?? I also thing it's TOTAL BS that they aren't doing NEXT DAY everything.. I hate that with ALL companies.. You sell me a product (that I paid with my hard earned money), it breaks, I then have to wait for a box, send it in, wait for repair, and get it back..

That is total crap. If mine ever breaks I will INSIST on getting NEXT DAY everything. $400+ and having to wait 3 weeks just flat out is unacceptable.
Old 06-01-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by prayformojo
About the same here. Took about 10 days to get the friggin box to ship it to them.

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Unreal that they ship you a defective one back.. Are they even doing any testing on these things before calling them fixed and shipping them back?? I also thing it's TOTAL BS that they aren't doing NEXT DAY everything.. I hate that with ALL companies.. You sell me a product (that I paid with my hard earned money), it breaks, I then have to wait for a box, send it in, wait for repair, and get it back..

That is total crap. If mine ever breaks I will INSIST on getting NEXT DAY everything. $400+ and having to wait 3 weeks just flat out is unacceptable.
I've been debating on calling to get a credit on Live since I was out of commission for so long.

I can see them getting defective units daily and fixing them at random and just shipping one out that is fixed vs. fixing every individual one and getting them back to the correct person. They probably have closets full of busted ones. You send a broken one and they ship one they fixed last week so you don't have to wait. Doesn't sound ideal to the consumer, but I wouldn't doubt that is what is going on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.