Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Splinter Cell Series Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Splinter Cell Series Question

If I wanted to play a Splinter Cell game should I just get the newest one (Chaos Theory) or is it a series worth playing all of them? Maybe somebody can give me a quick rundown of how good each one is? They all seem to be pretty cheap and I remember liking the demo of the first game on Xbox many years ago (though I'll be buying the Cube versions).

Isn't Chaos Theory two player co-op?
Old 05-19-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All three are defintely worth playing, especially now that you can get them anywhere from $10-20. Splinter Cell 1's control scheme is a little bit different and it doesn't have co op or online play, but it's got a pretty good story and it's where the series all started. You can download 2 additional levels for Splinter Cell 1. I believe Chaos Theory does have co-op. But if you still don't want to buy all three, I'm sure you won't need to know the series story line about Sam to pick up on Splinter Cell 4 when that comes out.

Edit: Just read that you are going to get the cube versions. I don't know about online play and co-op for those versions, but personally I just play the single player storyline anyways.
Old 05-19-06, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like all 3 Splinter Cell games, but if you wanted to you could just play Chaos Theory. The storylines from each game are completely independent of each other, so you won't be lost. Chaos Theory is leagues better than the first two, but the first two are still enjoyable. Some people thought Pandora Tomorrow was a step down from the original game, but I liked it better than the original.

On another note, I played the Splinter Cell games on the Xbox. I have never actually played the Cube versions myself, but I have heard from many reviews that they are extremely butchered compared to the Xbox versions. If you can, get them on either Xbox or PC.
Old 05-22-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my Xbox is on the way out of the door, I found the Chaos Theory Collector's Edition Gamecube new for $20. Of course, I had got a bunch of great clearance games this last week at GameRush so I'm not sure when I'll finally get around to playing it, I'll still be on the lookout for under $10 copies of the first two in the meantime.
Old 05-22-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
They are all good games, but I found myself bored by the time the 3rd came out because they are all so similar. I would say that the 3rd was the best out of the three.
Old 05-22-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Just to note, critically, the cube version was apparently knocked down a few notches (for Chaos Theory) noteably:

Strictly on its own merits, this version is an altogether unimpressive action adventure that still smacks of being a watered-down port of a technically superior game.
(from Gamespot). Though other sites indicate it's a fairly decent port of a very good game, just isn't the best version available.

That said, CT was probably my favorite, it was more action oriented and the scripted "scenes" that occured while you were playing (they weren't cut scenes, but rather, occuring while you were playing... such as people getting tortured and what not) added a great deal to the atmosphere.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 01:46 PM

I had a really fun time with the first Splinter Cell on the GCN. The later two I played on the Xbox. On the GCN you have the whole GBA connectivity thing. I played the first one all the way through with my SP acting as my radar and Sticky Bomb remote. You could also hack turrets with the GBA and use them against the enemy. Good times.
Old 05-22-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jediwicz
I had a really fun time with the first Splinter Cell on the GCN. The later two I played on the Xbox. On the GCN you have the whole GBA connectivity thing. I played the first one all the way through with my SP acting as my radar and Sticky Bomb remote. You could also hack turrets with the GBA and use them against the enemy. Good times.
That's very cool. I was surprised to see that still supported on the new game (though its reported 67 blocks of memory usage sucks). I'll probably just play CT for now, if I really enjoy it I may check the first one.. but as stated above, these games with yearly updates aren't usually worth play every iteration of unless you're a super-fan.
Old 05-22-06, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
these games with yearly updates aren't usually worth play every iteration of unless you're a super-fan.

Splinter Cell games are not made yearly like some sports or Tomb Raider game. The first Splinter Cell came out in 2002. It was made by Ubisoft Montreal. Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory were made simultaneously by two different development teams (Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Montreal respectively) so they came out within a year of each other (2004 and 2005). Double Agent is due out the end of 2006, and it is radically different from the first three.
Spoiler:
In Double Agent, Sam Fisher infiltrates a terrorist organization from the inside by actually joining them. He no longer has his trademark nightvision/thermal goggles or stealth weapons. This game will be more of an action game were he has to kill many people, including innocent people so as not to blow his cover.
Old 05-24-06, 12:22 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have the Gamecube versions of the original and Chaos Theory. While the original seems to play as well as it did on the PC, when I played it on there, supposedly Chaos Theory on the Gamecube is the worst version. It doesn't have any co-op or online multiplayer, and it also doesn't have some weather effects.