Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Some words of wisdom on fanboyism from EGM

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 10:49 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some words of wisdom on fanboyism from EGM

Thought this was a poignant and much needed statement on silly console loyalty that I thought I'd post here since we have some members that spend more time arguing sales numbers than talking about PLAYING games...

The 'Console War' is a marketing campaign, and it wants to enlist you as an unpaid employee. Don't be a sucker.

It was in response to a letter bashing them for hating Nintendo. Ironic since the editorial in this issue was about how they were so wrong in predicting the PSP to crush the DS, and that the DS ended up being the much better gaming platform, and going on to predict that the Wii will be hugely successful and maybe even be the number 1 selling system this time due to price and PS3 and Sony splitting the same teen market while Nintendo goes for kids and older non-gamers.
Old 05-20-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant blame people really, 1up podcast sum up their attitude best. They only change when tide is.
Old 05-20-06, 11:58 AM
Retired

Honestly, I've subscribed to EGM for over 10 years, and never detected any bias in any direction. They get and publish letters accusing them of being biased against Sony, Nintendo and MS.

The fact is they just call it like they see it and publish positive and negative things about all three, and as we've seen on this forum repeatedly, many system loyalists can take anything remotely negative about their console of choice as anything other than outright bashing and have to cry bias.

At any rate, just wanted to post this as a reminder of how stupid it is to be loyal to a COMPANY and spend your time promoting them endlessly and bashing the others.

Namely I'd like to see some more actual discussion of games on this forum, and less of the bickering and pissing contests about sales, hardware specs and all the other bullshit.
Old 05-20-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
At any rate, just wanted to post this as a reminder of how stupid it is to be loyal to a COMPANY and spend your time promoting them endlessly and bashing the others.
I will agree with this except for Maker's Mark. They make some damn good bourbon that will will try to promote whenever i can.
Old 05-20-06, 02:38 PM

EGM used to be good but that changed about 2 years ago it's not really worth reading that mag anymore.
Old 05-20-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zwerchfell
EGM used to be good but that changed about 2 years ago it's not really worth reading that mag anymore.
Agree. They got so hung up on being cool in their game bashing that the reviews are nearly worthless. Instead of going into detail the way IGN and Gamespot do to help you really decide about a game they simply throw on a score and a bunch of one liners to describe many games. The rest of the magazine has turned into mostly fluff as well. Mags like this are really no longer relevant in the world of constantly updated gaming websites. Who cares about news from a magazine that is out of date by the time its published?
Old 05-20-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last six times or so I picked up an EGM there was a DEFINITE anti-Nintendo vibe and I'm not just saying that as a fan because it was just blatant. Those last six times or so ago there were literally two to three uses of the word "kiddie" in regards to Nintendo in each issue. Not only that but the reviews and editorials read as if they're so desperately trying to be "cool" to the mainstream market it was sad. I agree with the above that they try to be so hip that their reviews are utter rubbish and pretty useless to me.
Old 05-20-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, their latest issue is practically all about Nintendo and the upcoming Zelda game and the Wii.
Old 05-20-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Agree. They got so hung up on being cool in their game bashing that the reviews are nearly worthless. Instead of going into detail the way IGN and Gamespot do to help you really decide about a game they simply throw on a score and a bunch of one liners to describe many games. The rest of the magazine has turned into mostly fluff as well. Mags like this are really no longer relevant in the world of constantly updated gaming websites. Who cares about news from a magazine that is out of date by the time its published?
Well, to be fair, they can't go into detail the way the websites can. There are just too many games out there, and they only have so much space in a magazine if they're going to show pictures with the games. Unless they only review a few games each month or get rid of the pictures entirely, there's no way they can put that much information into a monthly magazine.
Old 05-20-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, to be fair, they can't go into detail the way the websites can. There are just too many games out there, and they only have so much space in a magazine if they're going to show pictures with the games. Unless they only review a few games each month or get rid of the pictures entirely, there's no way they can put that much information into a monthly magazine.
They could have more room if they would let one person review each game. Instead they use three and since each has a tiny section to write about each game they end up with more quips that actually game information. They could easily do better reviews if they tried. They have no trouble drooling over every version of Halo and GTA that comes out.
Old 05-20-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
[QUOTE=PixyJunket]The last six times or so I picked up an EGM there was a DEFINITE anti-Nintendo vibe and I'm not just saying that as a fan because it was just blatant. Those last six times or so ago there were literally two to three uses of the word "kiddie" in regards to Nintendo in each issue. QUOTE]

Calling Nintendo "kittie" is not an insult. I'm sorry, but when I think of Nintendo, especially when I'm selling a system, I think of family (or kid) themed games. Doesn't mean it's a bad or inferior system.
Old 05-20-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess Ill be the first. I think egm is a great magazine. I dont get any anti-nintendo, or anti-sony, or anti-ms vibe from them at all. Compared to shit like ign or gamepro or any of the offical ps/nintendo/xbox magazine they are miles ahead of the rest. I'm glad they are hard on games and companys. Its what reporter's should do, I can't understand why anyone would want them to be nicer or easier.

I do wish their reviews were more indepth but thats about it. And 1up's podcast is great too.
Old 05-20-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also dig EGM. It is probably my fav of the gaming magazines i get in the mail.
Old 05-20-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Love EGM, dont see any bias at all.

Fanboyism and console wars are games for idiots.
Old 05-20-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Putting wisdom and EGM together is a bit of an oxymoron I would have said.. did you listen to their e3 podcasts josh? I mean, Sony is my least favourite of the big 3 console makers and I think the PSP is a bit of a joke, but even I cringed at some of the sony hate in their podcasts.

EGM is a rag that was good once upon a time but these days is not even worthy of toilet paper. Please please please read Edge for some decent print journalism.
Old 05-21-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The last six times or so I picked up an EGM there was a DEFINITE anti-Nintendo vibe and I'm not just saying that as a fan because it was just blatant.
Originally Posted by Chris_D
I mean, Sony is my least favourite of the big 3 console makers and I think the PSP is a bit of a joke, but even I cringed at some of the sony hate in their podcasts.
You guys need to get together, come up with the same company, and then use that as the reason why they suck. You can't all pick different companys.

They are hard on everyone. Remember when the xbox 360 came out and they had a whole article on why not to get it? A lot of people on the board were saying they're anti-ms.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 05-21-06 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wish game reviewers/mags/shows/websites as a whole would stop trying to be "funny" or "cool". That Sean Baby guy drives me INSANE! His 2 page spread each month is worthless and I don't really care for the reviews (though I do read them on games I'm interested in). I like the rest of the mag for reading on the throne, but I don't live by it like I used to back in the day. I get a free subscription (until like 2020 or some crazy year) so I'll take it.

I much prefer my gaming journalism to be as insightful as possible. If a person is naturally funny it comes through, but it's so obvious when someone is trying to be clever.
Old 05-21-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I will agree with this except for Maker's Mark. They make some damn good bourbon that will will try to promote whenever i can.
Yes, Mr. Ambassador ....
Old 05-21-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EGM is more of a novelty read for me now than anything. News that comes out I can read the day of and they're always at least a month behind on reviews; usually they don't even have one if it's one of those "under the radar" games. When i'm thinking of picking a game up on release day (when it's usually the cheapest) I want to find out if it's any good. And I want multiple lengthy reviews. The internet has really made EGM unnecessary.

Their editorials are a joke now too. Why anyone publishes an article about a system's worth before it even comes out is strange to me. They can apparantly see into the future and judge whether or not something will be a success.
Old 05-21-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My EGM subscription seems to have disappeared again. I can't remember the last issue I received and I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to expire for a long time.

They did this a while back. When I contacted them, they acted like it wasn't their fault. I think they even said "you must have moved".

I don't think I'm going to bother following up this time. I actually liked the magazine but it's become too much trouble to get them to send it to me.
Old 05-21-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Remember when the xbox 360 came out and they had a whole article on why not to get it? A lot of people on the board were saying they're anti-ms.

I thought it was ridiculous to have an article basically telling people NOT to get a system.

If they want to at least LOOK fair, they better have a similar article for the Wii and PS3.
Old 05-21-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I love the Maker's Mark and shamelessly promoted it to everyone I knew. Until I tried Woodford Reserve....
Old 05-21-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EGM is my favorite game magazine. I prefer the 3-review format because you have more than one viewpoint - sometimes they differ quite a bit, as well. You'll see like a 7.5 and a couple of 4s - differing opinions.

The bias comments are always funny. There is no detectable bias that I have seen, having had a subscription for probably over 4 years. They pick on everyone equally. Which is why someone is always saying anti-Nintendo, anti-Sony, anti-MS, all at different times.

And Seanbaby's Rest of the Crap section is the funniest gaming anecdote in existence Talk about laugh out loud (most of the time).
Old 05-21-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I prefer Gamespot. They seem rough on games, and I like the in-depth reviews. I just wish they would offer a bigger print version because sometimes I have to strain to read it.
Old 05-22-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I prefer Gamespot. They seem rough on games, and I like the in-depth reviews. I just wish they would offer a bigger print version because sometimes I have to strain to read it.
View > text size >

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.