Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part III: Smaller & Brighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Can you download these demos without heading to a store kiosk?
Not yet.
Old 04-10-06, 07:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My lite arrived today! My lite arrived today!!! Wonderfully fast shipping, I must say.

I was looking through the instructions and saw pictures of a GBA->GBA cable, GBA->GC cable, and a few other GBA cables. Does this mean I can now connect my DS to a GBA for GBA games, or to my GC for games like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles?
Old 04-10-06, 08:35 PM

let's hear some impressions and see some comparison pics suprmallet .

I went to best buy today to download some demo's, I tried out the tetris one in the store which was pretty fun, it is tetris afterall, and then downloaded the Brain Age one to take home. I'd have to agree with whats been said, I can already tell how addictive it can get, but I was buying this on launch day anyway. My first speed on the quick training was walking lol! However I don't feel guilty playing it at all since i'm doing math problems and having fun (shoot me now! ), working has made me too dependent on calculators, let's see jack thompson spin this into a murder simulator.
Old 04-10-06, 09:14 PM
Banned by request

I will be doing some comparison pics soon.

As for first impressions, well, it's awesome! As I suspected, the ice blue looks very snazzy. It's much easier to hold, and the thicker stylus is easier on the hands, as well. I actually bought from play-asia this big stylus holder. It's essentially a giant stylus and you stick an original stylus inside of it, so you get a lightweight but large-size stylus. The GBA-slot holder is also a nice addition, and it makes the whole thing look more unified.

The buttons feel great to the touch, and seem more responsive. Putting the power button on the side was a genius touch, and making it a sliding tab instead of a push-down button was even better. The screens are wonderfully bright and the brightness brings out a level of detail you couldn't make out on the original.

In all, if you spend a lot of time with your DS, you owe it to yourself to buy this. It's awesome on so many levels.
Old 04-10-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
let's see jack thompson spin this into a murder simulator.
What about cannibalism? I mean, 7 8 9 after all.
Old 04-10-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I just got my ICE DS Lite from Lik-Sang today too! Damn, it's soo sexy! One thing, though... don't USA ds's come with a little thumb strap thingy for using the touchpad? My Lite didn't come with one.
Old 04-11-06, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Mine came with a wrist strap, which is the same US DS systems come with.
Old 04-11-06, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've heard the Crytsal White one is the most sought after, I've got my eye on that
Old 04-11-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Japanese DS comes with a strip too.. which probably means that it's just the Lite that doesn't come with one.
Old 04-11-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Btw, I used to think that those who complained about the Metroid Hunters game causing cramped hands were a bunch of namby pambies. But after playing a bit last night... holy crap! It's a great looking game, but I'll have to play that in very small doses.

So far the favorite of all the games I have is that weird japanese male cheerleading game. It gets pretty tough very quickly, though. I got perfect on the 1st song on my second try, but I didn't last 10 seconds on the second song.
Here's my take on the rest of the games I had:

Tetris - pretty cool. I played 2 "push" games online, and lost both. Wasn't able to play any other modes, since there were no other players. I liked catch mode at first, but it got boring fast.

Castlevania -sweet... pretty much what I expected

Kirby - bought this used, and it doesn't work.

Meteos - I liked this one a lot, but I can see how people can say you can do well by just scribbling all over the screen

Electroplankton - weird, weird, weird. I enjoyed the 5 minutes I played of it, but don't have much of an urge to play with it anymore

Wario Touch - like the mini games, but holy hell, those cut scenes suck and they drag on for EVER

Polarium - decent, was very cheap, so i guess it was worth it

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my DS lite has a stuck pixel (bright blue) right in the middle of the top screen, so I have to send it back.

Last edited by joeblow69; 04-11-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-11-06, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by joeblow69

Electroplankton - weird, weird, weird. I enjoyed the 5 minutes I played of it, but don't have much of an urge to play with it anymore

If you really don't want it, I could send you my address and you could ship it off to me...
Old 04-12-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this sucks... I just heard from lik-sang... appently, Nintendo of Japan are being real dicks about bad pixels. They won't repair or replace a DS lite for bad pixels, since they are saying that bad pixels are not a manufacturing defect. There was a little bit of wiggle room in there, for REALLY REALLY OBSCENELY bad amounts of dead/stuck pixels, but I doubt my 1 pixel will get much love from NOJ.

So I'm stuck with this, I guess. I've asked lik-sang if I can just get a refund, but I'm guessing the answer will be no. Sounds like I'll be massaging that stupid pixel daily now, with hopes that it will someday wake up.
Old 04-12-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A blue pixel is not a dead pixel so there is a chance of getting it back. Pixel issues are one of the reasons besides cost that will definitely keep me away from importing hardware.
Old 04-12-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
A blue pixel is not a dead pixel so there is a chance of getting it back. Pixel issues are one of the reasons besides cost that will definitely keep me away from importing hardware.
I know, that's why I keep massaging it. I sure have had a lot of bad pixel luck lately. First my PSP had a bunch (at least those were smaller), and now this.
Old 04-12-06, 02:17 PM
Cool New Member

That's too bad about your DS Lite. You have my sympathies.

I had to exchange my DS twice during the first lauch. Back then Nintendo was more responsive. To be honest, I think the typical consumer doesn't notice it because pixels only appear dead in certain backgrounds. By the time they do notice it, it is too late to exchange it. Since most people don't notice it, I think the electronics industry has shrugged it off as a standard manufacturing problem.

Don't let it get to you. At first you will obsess about the pixel that won't change color, but eventually you'll forget it's even there 'cause you will be too engrossed with the game you are playing.
Old 04-13-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any news on the US release of the Lite?
Old 04-13-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there was news, it'd be here.
Old 04-13-06, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Japanese DS Lite does come with a thumb strap.
Old 04-13-06, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Is there any news on the US release of the Lite?
There's two rumors, first is a may 15th release to coincide with New Mario B ros (may be quite possible). Second is a june release (which will be announced at E3, also quite possible). Either way its not tomorrow (unfortunately).
Old 04-14-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Pixy and Outlaw, guess thats fair enough
I can't decide whether to get a JP one now or wait see if it comes out in the US before June when I go away in the summer.
Old 04-14-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took my friend to get a DS at Best Buy and downloaded the Brain Age demo.

Suffice to say, Nintendo earns another of my $20 this Tuesday. I love the DS!
Old 04-14-06, 10:50 PM
Banned by request

I downloaded the Brain Age demo and the fucking thing would almost never recognize when I said the color "Blue" I would sometimes have to say blue five or six times before it accepted it. So there's no way I'm buying that game.
Old 04-14-06, 11:20 PM

lol, you might be saying bleu, the word is actually bloo, if you say bloo, it will always work . (note that it is not blue, it is blOOO! as in rhymes with Boo, it works this way 100% of the time, trust me)
Old 04-15-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Put in my order today... Here's Gamespots take.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/br...ay/review.html
Old 04-15-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Loved the Brain Age demo and I have jet speed on Sudoku, but I play that crap all the time on my PDA. I already put down my $5 for it at EB and can't wait to get it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.