Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Spin 2 (X360) Who's getting it/playing it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top Spin 2 (X360) Who's getting it/playing it?

Old 04-01-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
One real "bad" thing I heard about this game is that you cannot choose to have your player at the bottom of the screen all the time, you actually have to switch sides. I will be the first to admit, I suck playing at the top of the screen.
Not true. You have to switch the camera to zoom (zoom still allows you to see everything well) and you will be on the bottom screen throughout. I prefer the bottom screen too but I gotta get better at the top of the screen for when I play against another real player.
Old 04-02-06, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
Not true. You have to switch the camera to zoom (zoom still allows you to see everything well) and you will be on the bottom screen throughout. I prefer the bottom screen too but I gotta get better at the top of the screen for when I play against another real player.

Hmmm, well thats semi good news. So if your in the "far away" mode you cannot be on the bottom at all times? That kinda sucks...
Old 04-02-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the original top spin, I was more competitive against the AI in zoom mode. I know it seems odd at first, but it's worth trying to master I think.

Last edited by Chris_D; 04-02-06 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-02-06, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by edstein
Is the original Top Spin backwards compatible for the 360? If so, I will just play that one.
Nope.
Old 04-03-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played a little more this weekend and I'm enjoying it a little more now. The gameplay does get easier and I can win matches now in my Career mode.

I recommend the game to anyone who likes Top Spin.

I like the FAR camera anyways. I only used the ZOOM camera for a second though.
Old 04-03-06, 10:26 PM

Got it today and played some exhibition game, and some training plus a game in career mode. Well, I am disappointed. The graphics are not that much of an upgrade from the original top spin, esp. as I am more comfortable with, and thus play the game on far mode. Here are some comments on the game thus far.

1. There is no quick replay of the point you've just previously played (not that I know of, that is). At the end of the point, it just shows you player reaction. I really liked the replays in the first top spin, as it shows how exciting/close the last play was, this is a major letdown for me.

2. Playing on the 'far side', as noted by others, is indeed disconcerting. Should have an option of playing on bottom screen, as others noted.

3. Graphics, again not too much of a difference.

4. Players move even slower than they did in the original. So you'll likely be
unable to return a lot more shots than before.

5. On a positive note, this game seems to play faster, as load times have definitely improved for this version.

All in all, its still an okay tennis game, I guess. But really, if they can fix backward compatibility of the old game for the 360, I would trade this game in a heartbeat and just play the old game, albeit in widescreen mode. Guess thats why they haven't made the old game compatible.

--- Since I bashed this game some, let me just add one more thing, since I played the game online for the first time. It is still a fun multiplayer game, and bec. of the faster loads between games, may be its best redeeming value as there is not a lot of waiting during points/games. There it is. Check it out if you plan on playing a lot of this game online.

Last edited by DVDGamer; 04-04-06 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has anybody completed career mode and gotten 1st? im ranked #2 right now, in a tourney where i beat #3, 7 and 1 (roddick) to get to the finals but i cannot beat #5 (moya) for the life of me. im even "cheating" and going to the dashboard everytime i lose so i dont have to go thru an entire tournament again as i should be #1 if i win, but no matter what i do i cannot beat the CPU. it always goes to the 5th damn set too so it takes forever (and when it gets to tie breaker he turns into superman),. it just seems that no matter where i hit the ball, the computer will make it all the way across the court no problem and smash it on my ass, but i can barely make it halfway in the ame amount of time. not only that the cheating bastard makes it bounce off the net every other shot too. only reasonw hy i win when he serves is because the game feels sorry for me and has him hit the net a lot.
Old 04-08-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok nevermind after i posted that i demolished him 3 sets to 0 by just using the x button exclusively, except for serves, which i hat go to the top corner everytime.
Old 04-08-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I picked it up the other day, but since the Kameo patch came out it still sits unopened still in the shrink wrap.
Old 04-17-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Finally played it a bit(couple of tourneys) and am a bit disappointed. It's not a bad game, just not a great one either.

First, the original Top Spin was FUN. It may not have been comepletly realistic, or even that difficult, but the fun factor made up for those attributes in spades.

Top Spin 2: Basically a tennis sim, which zaps all the fun out of the game. You can't just pick up a game and have fun with it, you have to worry about every shot going out. This ups the challenge substantially, but definitely at the cost of being fun. I shouldn't have to worry about top spin or slice shots going in, that is what the risk shots are for(and to a lesser degree, the lob). The game also seems slower, not as fast paced.

Not a fan of the schedule either. It is a good idea in theory, but when I first started my career, I just wanted to train to get a handle on the game. Turns out I missed a ton of events and tourneys. Now I have to skip some of them because my rank isn't high enough.

Training: Decent enough, but I just want to practice my risk shots more with MY character and his abilities. AFAIK, there is no way to do this.

Building my player: Pretty solid. Definitely a bit more involved than the first one with the addition of silver/gold stars

Graphics: average, not much better than the first

Overall: I think the first game owns this one. I don't think it was an improvement at all. More of a lateral move, and definitely a downgrade in the fun department.
Old 04-17-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I played the first one, but didn't own it so I couldn't form a very strong opinion on it. I was a Sega Tennis 2k fan. For those who have played both, which did you prefer?
Old 05-08-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just picked this up after downloading the new demo from the marketplace and have to say this may be the hardest game I ever played. Took me three hours to win my first exhibition match (used Federer to beat Sharapova) and I ran out of money on career mode since I couldn't win any matches with my no-skill custom player
Old 05-08-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

matome...the game does get easier. I actually haven't played in a while, since I got a bit bored of it...some of the matches become TOO long and boring for me. Still a decent game though....I actually enjoy the training events, those are fun.